Thread: Autocar RS3 review (Scans)

Autocar RS3 review (Scans)

Last edited by Joker; March 21st, 2011 at 10:50.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

AutoExpress review.

Thank you for the informations ...

Greetings from Germany

harald-hans (R)
    Cars ? - too much to list ...

Joker,

My dealer has just told me that the UK launch of the RS3 will now be July-August instead of May. Apparently Audi has encountered problems as it tries to initiate RS3 production in Gyor, Hungary.

Anyone know anything else about this?

I was always told July for the first cars....i suspect there is an element of dealers covering their previous commitments. Some orders won't arrive until well into 2012.

We all know that there would be added appeal from it's RS status and it's magical engine but it ain't cheap and it's still a model in it's final days of life so no one would have foreseen the huge demand it has received. I would reckon that demand for the car has far exceeded even Audi's expectations, in the UK alone the full quota had gone within weeks of it's announcement.

Maybe the 2700 units was far to few in hindsight.

Thx for the scans - the RS3 seems like an accessible interpretation of the RS car in the spirit of the original RS2 and RS4 MkI with updated ability, eye candy and feelgood factor

If demand for the VW Golf R is anything to go by, Audi could sell around 10,000 RS3s worldwide. Given the interest, I suspect that part of the delay is homologation for the US.

Why would homolgating it for the US have any effect on it's release else where. If the figure of 2700 units is to be believed then the rest of the world could easily sell those figures and more besides, the US market would demand a sizable amount on it's own, after all the US is about to receive a sizable amount of TTRS units and it's sales figures there would be smaller than what an RS3 could possibly be.

They've moved production to Gyor in Hungary, which I understand involves retooling and set-up time. This is the same factory that makes the TTRS. Given the desire to reduce costs and simplify the production process, they'll want to get everything organised before shipping the necessary tooling and parts. If they produce an RS3 for the US market, they'll need to modify certain components. It may make sense to develop this sooner rather than later, hence the delay. But to be honest with you, I am just guessing why there is a delay.

We were originally told March presentation for April-May delivery. Now delivery is July-August, a delay of 3 months. That's not good for business, so there has to be a reason. If demand is high, deliveries could well extend into 2012 - after the new A3 is launched.

It would help if Audi was much more up-front about lead times. I am somewhat annoyed. I need a new car now not late Summer.

Tailpipe, your dealer has lead you up the garden path. The launch was never going to be March and Audi's own internal comms confirm this. It was always a summer launch in the UK, and my dealer had indicated from the beginning of the year that July was the likely arrival of the first cars. Audi dealers were told to manage expectations around this on the understanding that build dates would be available in March. Build dates are only just becoming available for the UK cars.

Yes, you're right, and I'm pissed-off about it, because, on the whole, I am a pretty patient and trusting individual.

Considering that this car is closely based on the pre-xisting TT-RS, has endured a gestation period which can generously be described as bordering on glacial in its slowness, was close to being signed-off in August of 2010 and is on a platform that is within a gnat's cock of being renewed, I reasoned that a May arrival wasn't unreasonable. Do you not think that Audi has been unforgivably slow in delivering this beast?

I think it's all predictable to be honest. I was looking forward to RS5 in 2008 such that I put a deposit down, but soon got bored waiting and bought an RS6 in the early 2009 silly season give away. When a child appeared just over a year later it turned out to be the right call!

I have a MkV Golf R32, it's a great car and the missus loves it. But, she's 5 years old now and it's time for change. RS3 still fits that bill on paper at least, if it delivers behind the wheel then I'll put up with a bit of a wait.

Can't wait till the first few comparison tests between the RS3 vs TTRS vs M1Coupe are released, just to see if the RS3 is really as good as we believe it to be. The remarks that they all are finding the RS3 to feel even lighter on it's feet than the TTRS is a very good sign of things to come.

Dodlebug,

Yes, I agree, despite the annoyance it looks like it'll be worth the wait. The RS6 is a magical car, but really overkill for me. Objectively it did everything with aplomb. Unfortunately, I just thought the price was too much. For that kind of money you can get some pretty fancy metal. I think the Merc S-Class is pretty hard to beat if you're into that class of car. I think Audi will dial back the next S6 / RS6, but with less weight and a V8 turbo it should still be impressive.

In the meantime, roll on July. I too am looking forward to the tests versus everything else: BMW 1-Series M, Audi TT-RS, VW Golf R, Ford Focus RS, Subaro and Mitsubishi Evo.

The RS3 is a nice car but a little to expensive for my taste especially considering the new A3 model is just to be launched.