Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front license plate mounting ideas

front license plate mounting ideas

Iowa and other stupid states require us to mount front license plates. I hate the idea of drilling holes into the bumper cover to mount the frame. In fact, I plan on NOT displaying one UNTIL I get warned or ticketed. In the meantime I will just carry it with me.

When the day comes when I'm forced to hang it on the bumper cover, I'd like to see how others display their front plates.

Thanks!
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

I haven't implemented this yet (I currently have the plate bracket screwed in place the way the car was bought) but at some point I'm going to repair the holes, have the bumper resprayed, then use rare earth magnets behind the bumper cover and in the plate bracket. This way I can affix the plate if I'm coming home from dinner and drinks, and pull it back off when I want to see the car without that state issued barnacle on front.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I haven't mounted a front plate on an Audi in 12 years here in TX. This gets me by just fine with no hassles. May not be pretty, but I prefer it to on the bumper or getting a ticket. (My son got pulled over twice on the way home from the beach last weekend for no front plate showing on his car.)

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    I haven't mounted a front plate on an Audi in 12 years here in TX. This gets me by just fine with no hassles. May not be pretty, but I prefer it to on the bumper or getting a ticket. (My son got pulled over twice on the way home from the beach last weekend for no front plate showing on his car.)

My dad does the same thing in his mustang. He's never had an issue either(he lives in Houston as well).
    Last edited by JSRS6; March 15th, 2011 at 03:26.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

BTW, I looked into the RE magnet idea a couple of years ago but could find no easy way to actually get them up where I needed them on the inside surface of the bumper skin. This may have been on my TT or S4, but it's not like any of these bumpers are hollow allowing you to just reach up inside it to attach the magnets.

The BEST way to do it would be to put the holder on the bumper, tape the edges off with masking tape, remove bumper, drill out the pop rivets and remove the bumper skin. Glue the RE magnets into the plate holder and place on the bumper skin where it was taped off. On the inside of the bumper skin, place the accompanying magnets. They will be held in place by the magnets you glued into the plate holder. Glue them in place and allow sufficient time to dry. Then reassemble bumper and reinstall on car.

Yeah, maybe not so simple...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Mine came with the front plate already mounted because the car was local (western WA), so I didn't have to contemplate putting holes in the poor thing myself. Front plates suck!

Mine has the front plate bracket mounted directly inside the center of the lower grill fascia, I like it and it avoids having to drill holes....I think it is fastend on using zip ties thru lower grill but will need to confirm that, let me know if that is neccessary, Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000416..JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	11120
    Last edited by nistah; March 15th, 2011 at 15:49. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    Mine came from lace w:st="on">POlace> w/ the front plate bracket mounted directly inside the center of the lower grill fascia, I like it and it avoids having to drill holes....I think it is fastend on using zip ties thru lower grill but will need to confirm that, let me know if that is neccessary, Cheers

Name:	P1000416..JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	11120
    I would move it IMHO. oil/Trans cooler needs it's airflow!

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I would move it IMHO. oil/Trans cooler needs it's airflow!
    Not to be critical, because it does look good, but I agree.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Or find a way to use the remote "hidden" plate bracket I saw on my friend's SRT8 Jeep.
    http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...EU-p/400eu.htm
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Now that is slick!

Dy-no-mite!

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Dy-no-mite!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v19PpD5uqL0

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post

Awesome Paint job!
    Kinda like wrinkled tin foil...

Must have been sitting still for the photo...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

NY has that requirement also, unless you drive 1. a Corvette or 2. a Pickup with a snow plow.

When I leased my RS6 I had them mount the plate mount for me site-unseen. They made me fax back a written consent to drill holes! Delivered by flat bed truck with plates in place!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post
    Thanks, I was just too lazy to find it.

Name:	CRW_5198..jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	11121

front plate mount.....