Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out with Big Blue, in with Sweet New! (joining Fonzie)

Out with Big Blue, in with Sweet New! (joining Fonzie)

I don't post much, but I lurk often. As you might have gathered from my screen name, I've owned a 2004 A6 2.7T S-line for 6 wonderful years, but it just felt like time to replace it.

Though I did consider an RS 6, in the end I bought this instead:

Selected Details:
    2011 S4 Prestige
    Quartz Gray with Black leather/Alcantara
    Audi Drive Select
    S-Tronic (DSG)
    Stasis ECU tune (400+hp)
    Stasis Touring Suspension (1" drop in ride height, bigger rear anti-roll bar, stiffer bushings)

It's a dream to drive, and I dare say would at least run neck and neck with an RS 6 in a straight line. In corners, there'd be no contest. The smaller size, better weight distribution and Sport rear differential on the S4 would see to that.

So, though not an RS, it's pretty da*n close, and I couldn't be happier.

Happy motoring!

nice looking car, congrads
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Congrats! I'm hangin on to my hay wagon...
    210K miles rolled

Beautiful car. Represent, get it tuned as soon as possible................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    Beautiful car. Represent, get it tuned as soon as possible................
    Thanks.

Ummmmm:

"Stasis ECU tune (400+hp)"

Congrats ! It's a beauty..... and the Stasis setup transforms the car. I have a friend in MA that just got one and he's in love..... A good alternative to the RS6 I ahve to say.....and given the wide use of the 3.0 supercharged motor there's likely to be lot's of fun stuff developed for it that will allow for more tuning....

Enjoy !
    APR ECU|KW3's, H-sports & 034 Arms|Wagner& Venair|Labree DP's w/ Cat deletes|USP custom exhaust w/ Miltek tips|VMR's & 265 RE011's|SEAT Cupra fr. spoiler|Full black optic & mirrors|RSN-E|RS6+ pedals|Clear-cornered|smoked tails/sides|S6 door blades|9500i

Congratulations!

Great car and with the mods you've put on it, it's even better!

Hello, I'd like to piggyback and ask a question. I'm considering buying a 2003 RS6 (81K miles, one owner who took good care of it), and the only thing that gives me pause is the cost of maintainance and repair (especially give Audi's not-so-great reputation in the reliability department). I love the car, but I'm not a billionaire. I'd like to hear from other RS6 owners as to how their cars have performed over time, and whether they had to spend a mint on it or not. Thoughts?
    Signed,
    Badly Wanting a Beast!

Love the wheels. Love the LED lights. Very nice can and options.

Tell us more! Did you buy it with the options or add them later? How's that DSG shift? How 'bout some shots of the interior!

Congrats!

I like your car and the options you picked.

Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    Love the wheels. Love the LED lights. Very nice car and options.

Tell us more! Did you buy it with the options or add them later? How's that DSG shift? How 'bout some shots of the interior!
    Thanks!

I bought the car used, believe it or not, with only 2495 miles on it. I had been looking for a new car for months, but hadn't been finding the right "deal". This one appeared for sale on Cars.com, I called the seller within an hour of the ad going live, and within 45 minutes and 2 phone calls we'd agreed on a price, pending it checking out during an inspection. I arranged that inspection with another Audi-phile local to the area where the car was, and it passed with flying colors. I thought about flying out to pick it up (~1000 miles away), but ended up connecting with a shipper on uShip.com, and they picked it up on a Monday evening, and delivered it Wednesday morning - worked out perfectly!

The story is that a guy specced it the way he wanted it, ordered it, drove it for 2 months, and then decided it wasn't for him. He also arranged for all the Stasis stuff, so I'm the beneficiary of his planning. (Incidentally, he's planning to get an M5 whenever the new one is released, and he drives a Boxster as his DD, so he's not suffering....)

The DSG shifts perfectly - the engine note change is really the only way you can tell that it has shifted. Whereas a stock RS 6 accelerates in a series of (very impressive) lunges punctuated by gear changes, this S4 just flat flies in a sustained blast of acceleration. It's also supremely torquey, so left to its own devices it short shifts like crazy in search of fuel economy, but the powerband is such that even 1/4 throttle puts you WAY out in front of traffic. It's addictive.

It's also amazingly quiet when cruising, but lets out an impressive wail when the throttle is buried, punctuated by a very cool (or very annoying, depending on your perspective) "fart" during gear changes at full chat.

The handling seems amazing, though with our weather and temps this time of year, I can't push it too much. I will say that the Audi Drive Select, which allows tailoring of ride quality, throttle response and steering quickness, is a very cool piec of kit. In "Comfort" mode, the thing rides amazingly well, particularly for something so low. In "Dynamic" mode, all the responses are dialed to "Eleven", and it feels every inch the sports sedan it really is. Dynamically, it feels 1/2 the size of an RS 6, though in reality it's more like 90% in size and capacity.

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning - this is just a stupendously well-conceived and well-finished car - it's the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove.

Audi is really on a roll right now, and this car shows exactly what they do best. Audi's designs are the best in the business, and they've now figured out the dynamic portion as well. MB and BMW are worried, and with good reason.

Thanks for reading, if you've made it this far...

Here are a couple of (semi-crappy) interior shots:

Nice! Back seat is too small for my giant kids and giant dog... That said, at some point I'm adding one to the fleet anyway...

I for one like the DSG. Reminds me of speed-shifting my 2-stroke dirt bikes back in my motocross days.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Nice! Back seat is too small for my giant kids and giant dog... That said, at some point I'm adding one to the fleet anyway...
    Thanks!

Ya know, I'm not going to try to tell you that it's roomy back there, but I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs., and I fit in the back seat even with the driver's seat adjusted EXACTLY where I want it. If I slide the driver's set up just a bit (to where I can still drive comfortably), it's even better.

Honestly, the back seat room was one of my biggest concerns, because I've never owned a car in this size class. I do occasionally take clients out, and I'll still be able to; it will just be snug back there for 2 of them! Besides, they'll be too busy enjoying the ride to worry much about it! ;-)

Great story and a man like me. Buying a car sight-unseen is not for the faint of heart (bought mine 1500 miles away). uShip gets you a transporter at affordable rates. And to top it all off the car sounds hot! You are a lucky SOB!

nice ride my friend.

Yeah... It really is too small in back. Teenage son is huge, I'm only 6'0" but have orangutan arms and generally need the seat way back. Dog is 80lbs...

I originally had every intention of buying exactly your car when my BMW got totalled by a texting driver... But we loaded in and it was just too cramped back there :-(

Car has to tote 4 peeps + gear + big dog to the weekend house on occasion... Dealbreaker. Then I figured I'd just cave and ge an S6... But I flogged one on a test drive and just didn't like it. So I give up and start the hunt for an RS 6, it takes me almost a year to find the right one. First used car I've ever bought in my life, and I absolutely love the thing.

Like I said, very good chance I add an S4 to the garage in 2012... What part of chi you in?
    You offering test drives?

** make sure you're respectful to the forum though..

yes, the new S4 would outhandle the C5 RS6, but that's 7+ years of audi engineering helping out.

and yes, a properly tuned new S4 would run and possibly walk on a stock RS6, but against a properly tuned RS6.. would be a different story

. respect

Nice catch! and nicely put Fonzie. I too bought my beast sight unseen, roughly 4000 miles unseen!
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------