Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KW V3 or PSS9

KW V3 or PSS9

I am looking for feedback from people who have ridden in both cars. For nearly even money, I can get my hands on either one. It seems everyone has drank the koolaid for the KWs, and they are nice units. I will probably never track the car (use the Noble/Kart for that) and want to maintain a reasonable ride, yet crisp it up.

I know the PSS9s are easier to adjust, and generally less expensive. They are also not "RS6-specific" which may or may not be a real concern. Weight diff from 4.2 V8 A6 is negligible (published weights nearly the same).

KWs - are both front and rear actual coil overs with remote reservoir? some photos show just a shock/spring combo..

Right now I am leaning towards PSS9, just to be different, and potentially a slightly softer ride. I know I cant really go wrong either way.

Again, if you have ridden/driven in both, please chime in!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

As I recently made the change from DRC to KW I can tell you that under my car only the rear shocks came with a gas reservoir and these had only 1 coil spring.
    The front shocks hold 2 coil springs; 1 very small one and a larger one. In my situation the small spring does not have any effect as it is completely compressed.

I made a picture of the set, so I'll try to find it and post it if you like.
    Last edited by micdee; February 4th, 2011 at 10:52. Reason: grammar duh...

Quote Originally Posted by micdee View Post
    As I recently made the change from DRC to KW I can tell you that under my car only the rear shocks came with a gas reservoir and these had only 1 coil spring.
    The front shocks hold 2 coil springs; 1 very small one and a larger one. In my situation the small spring does not have any effect as it is completely compressed.

I made a picture of the set, so I'll try to find it and post it if you like.
    The smaller springs only purpose is to keep the main coil spring seated when you raise the car and the suspension is fully extended.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I'm sure my PSS9's were for an RS6!

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...7018004&12=130

They are a different part number to the 4.2 V8
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....

thanks Mic. If its convenient, post some photos if you have already taken them. If not, don't worry
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Quote Originally Posted by RS6Steve View Post
    I'm sure my PSS9's were for an RS6!

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...7018004&12=130

They are a different part number to the 4.2 V8
    This is great information! Too bad I am unable to read it

T/J:
    Sessh! I emailed Exalt motorsports here in San Diego (actually El Cajon) about the Stasis Motorsports ($3800 and not everyday ya get someone inquiring about high ticket items) and zip, zero, nada response. Guess they are too busy building F350 14' tall that are capable of a 6 point turn...

BRAV: Next time you go to Raven, I would like to tag along!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

@Brav: this is the KW set

More pictures of the build you can find in my album.

SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks guys. Not making the decision very easy! Every time I go over a bump, it sounds like someone dropping a box of tools as I bounce gracefully down the road like a 75 El Dorado. DRC completely gone.

I also took my DRC system out 2 weeks ago and installed Bilstein PSS9's. I am very pleased with the system. The softness feels exactly the same to the DRC system I had before it started to leak. Currently I have it on the softess setting 9. When I will change over to my summer wheels, I will set it harder to 6-7. I first had the car to low and the next weekend I lifted it to 10mm under the original height. At this height the Bilsteins are almost at their maximum height with the spacer spring still attached. I have also uploaded some photo's in my profile.

Riaand, I like the looks of the car. Are all of these pics after the Bilstein install as the ride height looks perfect.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

@hahnmgh63: no, all the pics are from before the mod. It looks more or less the same now as before. I have my winter wheels on now, so I have to wait for summer to see the real final result.

Quote Originally Posted by riaand View Post
    I also took my DRC system out 2 weeks ago and installed Bilstein PSS9's. I am very pleased with the system. The softness feels exactly the same to the DRC system I had before it started to leak. Currently I have it on the softess setting 9. When I will change over to my summer wheels, I will set it harder to 6-7. I first had the car to low and the next weekend I lifted it to 10mm under the original height. At this height the Bilsteins are almost at their maximum height with the spacer spring still attached. I have also uploaded some photo's in my profile.
    Please tell me im wrong. I read the manual before installing my pss9's, and it said 9 was hard and 1 was soft.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

@JSRS6: I have received the following installation manual in the box with the shocks. On page 3 you will see 1=sport and 9=comfort

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/E4-WM4-Y514A02.pdf

Furthermore are mine installed in such a way that I can set all 4 within 5minutes. So if yours are the same, I would suggest that you try it on anther setting and see what it feels like! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by riaand View Post
    @JSRS6: I have received the following installation manual in the box with the shocks. On page 3 you will see 1=sport and 9=comfort

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/E4-WM4-Y514A02.pdf

Furthermore are mine installed in such a way that I can set all 4 within 5minutes. So if yours are the same, I would suggest that you try it on anther setting and see what it feels like! Good luck!
    That explains alot! Thanks man. And yes i have mine oriented the same way so as to expedite setting changes.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Is there a weight savings going from DRC to regular coilovers? Probably negligable...?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Is there a weight savings going from DRC to regular coilovers? Probably negligable...?
    It's been a while, so I don't recall exactly. I seem to remember 20-30lbs savings after removing the central valves and associated DRC rubbish.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Hmmm seems worth it to me... although I just found out that my DRC recall was done in 09, so no sense of urgency. I'll keep an eye out for a used set...
    2013 Audi S8