Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fluid MotorUnion Audi RS6 Build Thread (pic-heavy thread)

The Fluid MotorUnion Audi RS6 Build Thread (pic-heavy thread)

Before I begin the build thread, lots of things have happened at Fluid since we’ve received this car. We’ve changed locations, changed multiple members of the team, and upgraded a lot of hardware. As a result, not all the pictures are going to be the same resolution or in the same style, and pictures of things like the intercoolers are, sadly, nowhere to be found. That being said, this is the best collection of RS6 pictures that many days worth of searching could find. Enjoy!

The car came into the garage with just a tune and downpipes, but big things were on everybody’s mind. After all, the RS6 is not just a standard Audi; it represents the culmination of years of engineering know-how and an ever-present quest for a more powerful yet refined vehicle. Not since the legendary Quattro has an Audi inspired both awe and fear at the same time. In keeping with this knowledge, Fluid MotorUnion set out to build a car that would command both respect and applause at every angle, and so far, that’s what it’s been doing.

The first round of modifications were geared towards more a “behind-the-scenes” aspect, with larger intercoolers for the turbos and upgraded charge pipes, intake and exhaust manifolds. The manifolds and charge pipes were treated with the Extrude Hone process, which is a powerful polishing treatment that allows air and other gases to flow as smoothly as possible, increasing power and reducing parasitic loss. In keeping with the notion of reducing horsepower loss to outside factors, Fluid chose to coat both the intake and exhaust manifolds with Swain Tech’s thermal coating, keeping the heat in places it should be and away from the places it shouldn’t. Adding some extra power was the next step, so we decided to port and clip the stock twin turbos, allowing the turbine wheels to spool faster and produce boost more efficiently. We also got some pretty nice wheels for it, 19” Rennen R10 concaves, with our shop name on the wheel itself, and the owner’s last name initial on the center caps.

And then, sadly, the stock RS6 block decided to bite the big one and depart to engine heaven. So we ended up sourcing a much stronger short block. The new block featured forged internals (rods and pistons), with a compression ratio of 8.5:1 (down from the stock numbers of 9.5:1). From this excellent starting point, we added a Cometic head gasket and a relatively large collection of ARP parts (head studs, rod caps, everything we could get to fit). At this point, the goal we had was to ensure the longevity of this vehicle by creating an engine capable of withstanding power well beyond its current capacities. For the rest of the RS6’s build, this has been the mantra – if we build it to ridiculous capacities, then all parts should function normally at power levels well below capacity.

From this point, OJ went to the Middle East for a couple months. Almost immediately upon his return, the RS6’s ECU had shorted and fried part of the wiring harness, which were replaced by the dealer. In terms of setting up the tune on the new ECU, we went through three tuners that promised results but failed to deliver those results. Once the tune finally stuck and things were going well, we worked on managing the boost from the twin turbos, as both turbos would drop out of peak boost well before redline. The solution to this problem was to add a boost controller, which would hold the pressures steady up until redline. This worked, but the high boost started eating up valve covers; we went through three valve covers until we realized the problem lied in the crankcase ventilation. This meant the solution was as easy as fabricating a new oil catch can, which sat atop the valve covers and added a nice aesthetic touch to the otherwise utility-driven engine bay.

Furthermore, to get the air into the engine more efficiently, Fluid MotorUnion used a mixture of carbon fiber intake cans and custom parts to fabricate one-off intakes for the RS6, increasing airflow while utilizing stock positions for the mass airflow sensors. Between the intakes and the catch can, the engine bay looks like a completely different beast.

There are other additions that haven’t been mentioned up to this point, as well. For starters, Craig put together a beautiful turbo-back stainless steel exhaust system, adding a larger amount of grunt for a car with plenty of it to begin with.

In terms of suspension, the stock setup was abandoned in favor of a KW V3 coilover setup. This eliminates the shared-hydraulics setup of the OEM design, which caused more headaches than anything else.

There were small aesthetic tweaks along the way, as well. For instance, we powdercoated the valve covers back to black, to keep everything pretty much the same color.

We also blacked out the front grilles, added a black vinyl wrap to the roof and added some shameless self-promotion to the window.

We’re almost to the end of the journey with the RS6. After the catch can helped to solve the boost issues, the fuel system began its march toward modification. The first fuel system ended up blowing the fuel pressure regulator wide-open, so we began the process of overhauling the fuel system. After building our own fuel surge tank, mating it up to two fuel pumps (capable of 1600+ horsepower), which run the fuel through custom-laid fuel lines to a new fuel pressure regulator (capable of more horsepower than the fuel pumps). After finishing the fuel system, we started work on the oil and transmission coolers.

The transmission cooler is especially important in the RS6’s build. As the power increases, the weakest link for any RS6 is the somewhat-weak ZF transmission. Heat can be a big problem with these transmissions, leading them to fail when even small amounts of power are added to the system. Therefore, our transmission cooler’s greatly increased capacity should aid cooling to a large degree, removing the notion that replacing the transmission is the only way to add serious power to an RS6.

All that’s left to do is finish rerouting the catch can lines, powdercoat the intake’s aluminum bits, slap it all back together and make sure everything runs correctly. After that, it’s back to the owner’s house (for now).

At this point, the next update to this thread should be the final pictures of the engine bay and the car itself. But if we decide to get all weird with it between now and then, that'll end up here, too.
    http://www.fluidmotorunion.com

nice Andrew, would love a shop like yours in NJ
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

No performance or dyno numbers to substantiate progress?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    nice Andrew, would love a shop like yours in NJ
    Thanks, Stephen!

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    No performance or dyno numbers to substantiate progress?
    Sadly, our Dyno Dynamics computer crashed just before I started working here (I started in August of '10), destroying all our baselines and saved dyno runs from all the cars we tuned, including the RS6. We haven't had a chance to put it back on the dyno yet (as we're constantly tinkering with it to eke out whatever gains and eliminate whatever gremlins we can), but I guarantee that it won't be going back to the owner without a proper dyno sendoff. And when that happens, I'll grab video and screengrabs of the dyno readouts for everyone to see.
    http://www.fluidmotorunion.com

Bummer. Who doesn't back up their computers these days, geez...
    2013 Audi S8

Now thats how you show a Build! Great work guys!!
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Thanks for showing us all the progress. The wheels don't do much for me personally. However; there are a lot of folks that don't like me personally...

Looks like a great build and I look forward to the continued progress reports.
    210K miles rolled

Way cool build! Dyno run please. We want numbers! WE want numbers!! WE WANT numbers!!! WE WANT NUMBERS!!!!

How do you "eat up" valve covers? Did they internally collapse under a vacuum?

I would think that there was a problem with the crank case ventilation system to start with. When the regulation valves fail, it causes excessive vacuum/ pressure and blows the seals out, but I've never heard of actually damaging the valve cover.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

^^ Agree you shouldn't need a catch can to keep valve covers from blowing (?)

Who's tune did you finally go with? I won't ask you to name who's tune blew the engine.

And yes looking forward to the dyno run. All the pimp juice in the world doesn't count if the numbers aren't there.

Also, are those fog delete grilles a one-of or Wagners? And wouldn't you actually delete the fogs back there to gain flow to the IC's?

Nice pictures... Thanks for sharing with the forum. Car looks xtra badass imho.

The fog delete grilles come with the Wagner intercooler kit that I can see is installed in the car.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks hahn I figured that out while you were posting. Don't think those are available separately, right? My stock IC's are new and sealed up tight.

Nice project. If ever a car cried out for smoked tails, it's this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    Nice project. If ever a car cried out for smoked tails, it's this one.
    +1- SAF- BTW- I'm signed up for TWS on Feb 19 & 20. If you are in the area, come on by or better yet- join in on the fun.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    +1- SAF- BTW- I'm signed up for TWS on Feb 19 & 20. If you are in the area, come on by or better yet- join in on the fun.
    PM me when that gets closer! I'll come up if I can get away.

Great thread, thanks for sharing. Looks angry!

Please post dyno figures when the problems are solved.

really liking the blacked out grill
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Thanks hahn I figured that out while you were posting. Don't think those are available separately, right? My stock IC's are new and sealed up tight.
    Email Cartsen directly, when I bought my Wagners and shrouds I skipped the fog deletes(knucklehead)-emailed Carsten and he shipped me the grills.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)