Thread: Torque Converter Pricing

Torque Converter Pricing

Hey guys, just got a quote from my dealership on the TC job. This sounds a little high to me.

Torque converter kit $2,075
    Labor 35hr @$115 $4,025

If I want to do o2's and EGT at the same time, its an additional $2,000.

Ive searched the forums and this seems high. Is it really a 35hr job? what are others paying?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by got boost View Post
    Hey guys, just got a quote from my dealership on the TC job. This sounds a little high to me.

Labor 35hr @$115 $4,025

Ive searched the forums and this seems high. Is it really a 35hr job? what are others paying?

Thanks
    Where are you at? There is a shop called Drive Auto Werks in NJ that will beat those prices by a mile....if you are anywhere close, call Dion and get your car over there. They had like 6 RS6's in the shop the other day when I spoke to Dion.

Stephen

Agreed- that is way too high
    210K miles rolled

You can get your entire transmission rebuilt with new TC for less than the 6000 quote. Way less. Tozo from the forum has done several RS6s with zero problems and backs up his work. He is located in Chicago.

If the dealer does not know how to pull the trans without dropping the engine then he does not know the short cut. Run, run fast.

The added price for 02s and EGTs are simply robbery.

Fidelity 6/72. Priceless.

Labor 35hr @$115 $4,025

Thanks

wow THATS INSANE!!! Glad i got my warranty!
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

I have an appointment for the dealer to look at the tranny on Wednesday, hopefully it is shot as my extended warranty ends the end of Feb. I am throwing code P1857 Load Signal Error from ECU, mechanical failure intermittent. I went out the other night and did eight 0 to 110mph logs with Vagcom to see if I could determine if it was the TC or Trans and I sent them to Tozo to look at too. I'd rather the dealer do the work for now and if not I guess I'll look to upgrade later by doing the work myself.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    If the dealer does not know how to pull the trans without dropping the engine then he does not know the short cut. Run, run fast.

The added price for 02s and EGTs are simply robbery.
    I am going to disagree with you on that 100%. I have pulled the trans separate from the motor before, and is WAY harder work then just dropping the motor. I can pull the whole motor in about the same time that Tozo has claimed to just pull the trans. But I have access to all factory tools which makes the job ALOT easier

BUT the O2 and EGT price is 100% rediculous.

It should just be the parts difference in price, since if they are pulling the motor they will remove the exhaust(which has o2's in it), and be removing the turbos(egts are two quick 17mm heads)

BUT again, if you dont pull the motor doing those EGT's are a mother IF they are doable

#1 rule to being a GOOD mechanic is work smart not hard (probably not just true for techs, is really a good life rule)

For dealer the hours look right. Used to be 60hrs in the book for full trans and TC replacement. Agree on BS on the other parts, they are right there to get to when engine out...seems the writer didn't give the hrs credit for everything being removed.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

thanks for the feedback guys, I'm gonna shop around. I've got a little time, I think.

Sounds like they don't need or want the work. Or they think you're an idiot. They should also hand out condoms to their customers for future services rearended...errr...rendered...
    2013 Audi S8

Just back from the dealer after an engine\trans pull on my RS6. They pulled the engine to repair some oil leaks installing new cam seals on one bank, valve cover gaskets on both sides and even an engine mount. Total labor was 27 hours at $115 totaling $3105. Take away all the labor for gaskets and seals and then add in separating the trans and I think your dealer might be high on the labor.

My dealer also went to the book labor for any add ins that were easily accessed with the engine already out. The warranty company haggled them down to reality as they should.

Good luck with the TC!

Labor 35hr @$115 $4,025

Thanks
    Just had mine done and love the peace of mind. Torque converter was $425 plus shipping of about $35 each way. Tozo did the work in less than half the hours being quoted by your dealer. I suspect he could do it blindfolded in less than 35 hours. His price for TC replacement includes new filter and fluids. I don't know that he wants his price posted on the message boards forever so I'll leave that to him or you could message him.
    Sold - 2003 RS6 Ebony Pearl on Black / Carbon Fiber / ACE Converter - Tozo installed / Eurocharged ECU / MTM TCU

Quote Originally Posted by MORS6 View Post
    Just had mine done and love the peace of mind. Torque converter was $425 plus shipping of about $35 each way. Tozo did the work in less than half the hours being quoted by your dealer. I suspect he could do it blindfolded in less than 35 hours. His price for TC replacement includes new filter and fluids. I don't know that he wants his price posted on the message boards forever so I'll leave that to him or you could message him.
    Did you ship Tozo your tranny? Or just the new TC? Does he modify the new TC? Or is the Ace converter "modified"? (Assuming you bought an Ace converter)
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Did you ship Tozo your tranny? Or just the new TC? Does he modify the new TC? Or is the Ace converter "modified"? (Assuming you bought an Ace converter)
    I could of shipped my car there for around $350 but decided it would be easier and more fun to drive the 350 miles to Chicago on a Sat morning. Gabor (Tozo) started at noon on Saturday. I had one night in a hotel and was back on the road Sun evening. Ace sent me the converter ready to go - it is sealed and welded shut - Gabor Drops the transmission and installs the TC. Ace upgrades the converter and builds it to suit your needs. Andre with ACE is very confident that the OEM TC is the weak link in our transmission and that his rebuild will handle twice the torque and get more horsepower to the road will maintaining everyday drive-ability.
    Sold - 2003 RS6 Ebony Pearl on Black / Carbon Fiber / ACE Converter - Tozo installed / Eurocharged ECU / MTM TCU

Thanks. I need to buy one yesterday.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Thanks. I need to buy one yesterday.
    Just wait till tomorrow now...
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Jebus...for ha-has the same TC kit I priced out new recently at the local Audi dealer parts counter was about 1200 and change (wholesale).

Having them re-built sure makes alot of sense. But no, it doesn't (shouldn't) take that long...but that is what they'll charge you ... book time.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by MORS6 View Post
    I could of shipped my car there for around $350 but decided it would be easier and more fun to drive the 350 miles to Chicago on a Sat morning. Gabor (Tozo) started at noon on Saturday. I had one night in a hotel and was back on the road Sun evening. Ace sent me the converter ready to go - it is sealed and welded shut - Gabor Drops the transmission and installs the TC. Ace upgrades the converter and builds it to suit your needs. Andre with ACE is very confident that the OEM TC is the weak link in our transmission and that his rebuild will handle twice the torque and get more horsepower to the road will maintaining everyday drive-ability.
    Nice work and the time line seemed to be right on also, if everything and everybody is ready...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared