Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: FMU Intake, group Buy

Yes, I'm starting to think it's not the best option for me at this time. If I already had a full exhaust, intercoolers and a tune I would be more intrigued but I'd rather spend my money on proven power mods before unproven ones. Back in my days of modifying my MK1 Toyota MR2, it was totally acceptable to fab up an intake in the garage based on someone on the forum's suggestion that "it will work better because my butt dyno says so" but that was spending very little money and the car was significantly less sophisticated. Even though this part has been engineered and not just cobbled together, without data it's difficult to justify at best.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

The FMU has two separate pipes bringing air into the large common chamber from opposite directions smacking into each other and then it has to force its way down into the MAFs. I'm no engineer, but I can say while every other intake I've seen was designed to flow smoothly with nothing abrupt in the design, the FMU has taken an opposite view altogether. Until someone can prove otherwise with before and after dynos I'm calling it costume jewelry. It does look cool......but I think that's probably about it.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by na1mt View Post
    The FMU has two separate pipes bringing air into the large common chamber from opposite directions smacking into each other and then it has to force its way down into the MAFs. I'm no engineer, but I can say while every other intake I've seen was designed to flow smoothly with nothing abrupt in the design, the FMU has taken an opposite view altogether. Until someone can prove otherwise with before and after dynos I'm calling it costume jewelry. It does look cool......but I think that's probably about it.
    I totally agree where you are coming from.

But I have seen some 3 and 4 rotor engine designs with dual intake tubing coming into a custom common plenum and making stupid horsepower. There is something at work that I don't fully understand. I know there also is a difference when working with boosted engine compared to NA.

I wish I had the disposable income right now to buy it and do a couple dyno runs with it, but unfortunately I just don't. If you still have it later on down the road I'll be in touch for sure!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

I wasted money on an Apikol intake last month, bought it for the sound really....but my straight piped exhaust covers up the sound. Looks cheap as can be and the stock air funnels don't for very well into the K&Ns.....save your money and keep the stock intake.

I still believe that there is more going on with this FMU intake than just people saying that it is not a good design. Does it make more hp...I don't know.

I reached out to FMU to get an idea of what they did and why. Here is part of Mike Marzano's response.

"In regards to the design, we put a few different designs into consideration and what you see showed the best results in regards to flow, etc. I think we would have liked it to be a little bit different but as you know, there isn't a ton of space in there!

Keeping that in mind, we wanted to incorporate the dual velocity stack setup inside that little plenum in order to better help with flow. We've seen in the past that any type of turn hinders performance so we try to avoid them at all times!

Let me know if that answers your questions! If you have any others please feel free to send them over."

Talk Soon,
    Mike

The delivery point for the plenum is on the front of cars.
    Wouldn't the turbos be actively drawing flow in?
    So while the FMU design likely causes turbulent flow at the MAFs, I would think it would have plenty of time to transition into laminar flow by it the time it goes through turbos, the intercoolers to the TB and ultimately the plenum?

IDK, maybe I'm wrong. I have the stock box and don't mind it. Rather cover up all those hoses and wires anyways!
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

I think ultimately the question is, and always was: Does this make more power than stock, or is it just eye candy? I'm not sure we ever got an answer, regarding power gains...or losses. Sure it probably didn't LOSE any power, but did it GAIN any? For $1200, or whatever the cost was? Seems easy enough to change on the dyno...I don't recall ever seeing anything...
    2013 Audi S8

Griffin Motorwerk in Berkeley is having a dyno installed as we speak. I hope someday to see once and for all if any of these intakes are making any power...or losing power.

I like the eye candy, but staying stock intake as long as I am in California.

I was almost included in the original group buy, but with no data, my money wasn't leaving my pocket. Even though it's been 3 or 4 years now, I'm still curious what this thing does.
    2013 Audi S8

I have no hard data, but my understanding of physics makes it hard for me to believe that any modifications to the air box (frequently mistaken as an 'intake'....) on this car will do anything to increase performance. This is a forced induction car and all the power is downstream from the compressor. Modifications to an airbox to either draw in cold outside air or improve airflow to the the intake manifold as part of a 'ram air' approach, provide additional power on cars that are naturally aspirated. They don't do anything on a forced induction car. The RS already has cold air intake and ample flow rates via double air filters. That then makes this entire effort a question on the flow of the filters in question.

The airboxes in this thread area entirely contained to ensure cold air charge, but I've seen other examples that look to have exposed filters under the hood. That would make for drawing in hot air from the engine compartment vs. from in front of the condensor and radiator and would increase the temperature of the incoming air thus amplifying temps once it's further compressed by the turbos. If anything, those are likely a hinderance...

Just my $0.02
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; May 9th, 2014 at 01:55.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I tend to agree with Tim. The RS6 air box is not a restriction. The size of the filters and the volume of the box seems very adequate for the power level that car can make. The air boxes on my SL65...now THAT'S a restriction.
    2013 Audi S8

I just read through all the pages in this old thread and found some interesting posts from "yokust" that apparently some people above who wrote them last posts have missed?

Quote Originally Posted by yokust View Post
    Even bone stock the airbox is a bottleneck.

Like I stated before, my car made more HP to the wheels with the Apikol intake setup on it.

Testing for the intake was done on same day, and never was rolled off dyno. Made more whp on stock chip, and made even more with APR program turned on.

Apkiol and Dahlback systems have been both dyno proven, but they are basisclly the same minus a huge chunk of carbon that the Dahlback comes with
    Quote Originally Posted by yokust View Post
    If you compare filter size of a 1.8t to one side of the 4.2t. The 1.8t has 3 times the filter size to draw thru, and its less liters per 1 bank of our motors and makes 75 less hp. And it has been proven that on 1.8t's that filter setup is a restriction around 300hp. So a chipped 4.2t is well above that level with a 1/3 of the filter size to allow proper flow into the motor.
    And also MILKA mounted BMC air filterbox on his car:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26...-thread/page3?

I have to build something similar to my car now, but do not know which BMC airbox that is best and will fit.

Is it anymore people that have built their own air filter boxes on the RS6 engine?
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

Can anyone answer whether this is the same filter that is used for this group buy:
    http://www.bmcairfilters.com/eng/ota...l230-b/812/art

It also looks to be the same filter that Milka used in his car?

(My RS6 air box steal 20 hp from my engine)
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8