Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATF Fluid/Filter Change @ 81K miles

Well, Audi does say its a lifetime fluid.. and since most of these plastic transmissions they saddled us with have died by 40k miles, I guess thats a strangely true fact..
    It remains extremely annoying that Audi has just sort of quietly decided that its acceptable for a $90k car to have multiple transmission failures/replacements before 100k miles ... then they casually expect us to pay for it like its normal.
    They should have allocated 2 trannies per car no charge..They should still do it..

What ZF said is true, but they can't call that modern fluid. It is a mineral fluid in the transmission for 8 years. The bottle says 3 years self life. I've seen a lot of valve body with big chunks of dirt in it. A fresh fluid will brake it loose and it could block orifices. There are lot of discussion info out there about change it or don't. Some had no problem, some said it was all downhill after that. There is no 100% guarantee either way.
    05 Cayenne turbo

I didn't know how the original owner drove the car so I had it done at my indy shop (and I don't think they did it 100% correctly, but that is another topic) and it shifted immediately better and differently. To me, it ran smoother and shifted quieter.
    i had it done at roughly 38k miles.
    i saw the fluid (it was green) and the amount of metal shavings on the magnets and I felt it was definitely worth the $450 I spent.
    Just my opinion.

Posting from the Great Wet Pac NW!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Just to be clear, I recommend fluid change if you do it every 30-40K miles. I do not recommend it if it has high mileage on the original fluid.
    05 Cayenne turbo

I changed mine 10k ago, now on 70k and after about 1k the box felt much better. I will be doing it again at 80k
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....