Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil Recommendations

Engine Oil Recommendations

What oil should I use in my 03' RS6 and how many quarts?

I've searched this board and I can't find a definite answer. I do know the Audi/VW part number for the oil filter is 078 115 561 K.

By the way, what kind of oil is it that it can go 10k between changes, but other synthetics have a recommended 3k change interval?

Thanks,
    Chris
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

I use the BND Quantum Blue, but previous to that, I used Lubro Moly Diesel High Tech, which I felt was the best oil available for the car. It takes exactly 8 quarts.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

I prefer the OG OEM Castrol TXT oil personally, but I have never tried the BND oils that people on here rave about

I have tried other oils meet the oil specs, and personally found that both of my cars would burn it faster than the TXT when out on the track

Audi say's a synthetic 5W-40 meeting VW spec 505.01. I use Redline 10W-40 which has the highest HTHS (High Temp High Shear) rating of any 10W-40 oil out there, at least from the manufacturers that are willing to test or post it. The Redline 5W-40 is also one of the best for HTHS which is one a required test for the Euro ACEA ratings to meet certain grades. The best Mobil 1 is the 0W-40 (In N. America) and it only has a HTHS of 3.6 whereas Redline 5W-40 has a HTHS of 4.6 (10W-40 is 4.7). Redline also has one of the highest ZDDP contents out there. I won't go into the need of ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates) which was reduced in oil sold in N. America by the EPA so for the first time in history, the quality of our oil decreased a few years ago.
    I won't knock everyone else's choice as there are many good oils out there, I just think Redline is one of the best if not the best.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

G052167A2 is the recommended oil per Audi.

505.1 5W-40 is what you are looking for if you choose otherwise.

I like to order 9L so I have an extra around.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I just ordered Motul 505.01 5W40, a couple filters, a drain plug and a few washers.I will be changing the oil over the next couple weeks or so. I haven't been able to find Castol TXT anymore, hence the switch.

Bnd quantum blue all the way. Doing an oil change soon as well. And Brian sends you two gallons, just what the doctor ordered. :-)
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I personally agree with all the choices given in this thread. I have used the OEM TXT and most all Audi dealers still carry the product.

Thumbs up to the BND oil and I will change to it the next service.

I have nothing bad to say about Redline products at all. I have run the products for years and years in other cars.

And yes, the EPA has really been screwing up lately. They did the same thing with diesel fuel a couple years ago by taking the sulfur out. Ditto for some of the diesel oil producers taking out critical additive packages. Research your oil choice folks.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Audi say's a synthetic 5W-40 meeting VW spec 505.01. I use Redline 10W-40 which has the highest HTHS (High Temp High Shear) rating of any 10W-40 oil out there, at least from the manufacturers that are willing to test or post it. The Redline 5W-40 is also one of the best for HTHS which is one a required test for the Euro ACEA ratings to meet certain grades. The best Mobil 1 is the 0W-40 (In N. America) and it only has a HTHS of 3.6 whereas Redline 5W-40 has a HTHS of 4.6 (10W-40 is 4.7). Redline also has one of the highest ZDDP contents out there. I won't go into the need of ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphates) which was reduced in oil sold in N. America by the EPA so for the first time in history, the quality of our oil decreased a few years ago.
    I won't knock everyone else's choice as there are many good oils out there, I just think Redline is one of the best if not the best.

ECS Tuning still carries the TXT (G052167A2), as well as Audi/VW dealers. The TXT is mandatory for TDI cars, so it should stay available.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I think redlne products are great, but I only use the OEM 505.01 spec Castrol.

Audi makes quite an explicit point that you void your warranty if you use any other spec. Not sure about third-party warranty writers' policies on that, but I wouldn't want to be the guy who suffers random catastrophic engine failure with something else in the crankcase, giving my warranty holder a loophole.

It's quite expensive, but it can be found cheaper by the case at some VW dealers.

505.01 Castrol

Here is the OEM TXT oil from ECS:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/505.01/ES4063/

I wonder how 7.87 per liter compares to the dealer price? I will have to call on Friday as my local Audi dealer seems to really make up any parts.

I am probably going to do the oil change next week with the through-the-wheel-well oil filter removal method.

Thanks!
    Chris
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

Thanks for the link to the OEM stuff. I never even thought to check ECS.

I, too, was wondering about 3rd party warranty coverage with non-OEM spec lubricants in case of an engine problem. With all the great reviews of BND products I'd be switching to it as well were it not for the uncertainty of warranty coverage due to non-spec oil.

Check with BND but I think he actually makes the RS6 oil to 505.01 spec. If it ever came down to it...you could have any oil you used bench tested for proper performance and show that it meets the proper spec. Blackstone lab report.

Quote Originally Posted by as350 View Post
    Thanks for the link to the OEM stuff. I never even thought to check ECS.

I, too, was wondering about 3rd party warranty coverage with non-OEM spec lubricants in case of an engine problem. With all the great reviews of BND products I'd be switching to it as well were it not for the uncertainty of warranty coverage due to non-spec oil.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Check with BND but I think he actually makes the RS6 oil to 505.01 spec. If it ever came down to it...you could have any oil you used bench tested for proper performance and show that it meets the proper spec. Blackstone lab report.
    I do believe that is the case Dave. I think I remember those numbers being printed on the two gallon jugs I got...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I personally like to use motul! I use 300V on my s2000 for track and the rs6 I use the 505.01 specific! Feels great!

Spoke with Brian at BND this morning to order a couple of gallons of Quantum Blue for my upcoming service. Interesting that he compounds the oil to 7.5w-38 with 505.01 specs, has found this works best in our cars. Talked me into the steering fluid flush and conditioner as well. Just passed 100K this week, still running strong...

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Spoke with Brian at BND this morning to order a couple of gallons of Quantum Blue for my upcoming service. Interesting that he compounds the oil to 7.5w-38 with 505.01 specs, has found this works best in our cars. Talked me into the steering fluid flush and conditioner as well. Just passed 100K this week, still running strong...
    I don't even use anything except BND now. Wait till you get it in your engine.

in the Netherlands Audi recommends 50501 5w30... since that has been put in, my engine ticks when cold for about 1 minute...i think im gonna change it for 5w40....
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control