Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Production Audi Quattro concept spotted in testing

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post

Given the risks of product overlap. I mean who would buy an RS5 if they could buy a Sports Quattro for €10,000-€20,000 more? So, auditt, you could be right. There is a chance that Audi will only make 500 or 1,000. At this stage, there are only three certainties:

1. Styling of R4/ e-tron / Sports Quattro will make into production in one form or another
    2. We can expect to see more of the 2.5-litre 5-cylinder engine and the longitudinal transmission of the S4/ S5/ RS5
    3. There is massive demand for a a proper Quattro replacement

It would be nice to see all this in a car costing €50,000. The TT-RS would be that car if it didn't use the Golfs platform and Haldex AWD. The RS5 would be that car if it used the 5-cylinder engine in a much lighter body. Neither the TT nor the A5 can cut it, because the Sports Quattro has immediately made their styling look boring and dated. So, what I'm saying here is that a mainstream Quattro replacement represents a significant new mainstream model for Audi with potentially awesome profits. Why blow it by only making 500 units?

I've always regarded the Audi Quattro as the thinking man's 911 (apologies to Fab).

I can't wait for it to return. I'll pay 911 money for it, but not Ferrari figures.

Basta.
    I agree with almost everything. Very true. The only thing that contradicts is Italdesign as a producer of many cars. Their speciality is small series cars. If Italdesign will make the Sport Quattro I´m guessing no more then 1000 cars. If Audi wants to make alot of cars they would do so themselves.

And as an input in the 911 debate I have put out my 997 GT3 RS for sale. I want the Sport Quattro instead! The 911 GT3RS is a trackday drivers dream but Jeremy Clarksson has a point - its a 40 year old car. (yes I know -63)
    Audi ! Please don´t disapoint me. I´m hoping that the Sport Quattro will be a trackday drivers WET dream!
    RATTRacing.com

The engine still appears to be mounted mostly ahead of the front axle, I would love to know just how nose heavy Audi intend the production model to be. You would think with the use of so much exotic materials that they could for once balance the weight more evenly and give this car a fighting chance at greatness.

I doubt the car will do well in Euro NCAP with the way it look under the bonnet.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    I doubt the car will do well in Euro NCAP with the way it look under the bonnet.
    You might be right about that... But it sooooooo good looking.

Bring it on, can we hope for 2011 ?

that is FRONT heavy. it is a concept. not sure what audi is thinking. they might make it longer the way they did the R8 vs the le mans quattro concept.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

I would not be surprised if the A5/S5/RS5 will look a lot like this after the facelift.

With the hood up, it sure looks like a lot of metal in a small car. I also noticed that the engine is mounted well forward and above the front axle. I believe this is because the 2.5 lire 5-cylinder engine is longer than either the S4's 3.0-litre V6 or the S5's 4.2 litre V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The engine still appears to be mounted mostly ahead of the front axle, I would love to know just how nose heavy Audi intend the production model to be. You would think with the use of so much exotic materials that they could for once balance the weight more evenly and give this car a fighting chance at greatness.
    Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    that is FRONT heavy. it is a concept. not sure what audi is thinking. they might make it longer the way they did the R8 vs the le mans quattro concept.
    Due to a longitudinal engine/transmission placement required for the ''torsen'' (read real ''quattro) configuration we will NEVER see front axle being placed completely forward( read - in front of the engine block). Current configuration of now all models is the closest you can get in that sense (engine sits on top if not slightly in front of an engine block). If you want different, go for electronically controlled central diff found in other mainly RWD cars (BMW ''X'', Mercs ''4-matic, etc) or rear engined sports cars which use viscous coupling, but THAT my friends will never be the pure mechanical quattro!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    Due to a longitudinal engine/transmission placement required for the ''torsen'' (read real ''quattro) configuration we will NEVER see front axle being placed completely forward( read - in front of the engine block). Current configuration of now all models is the closest you can get in that sense (engine sits on top if not slightly in front of an engine block). If you want different, go for electronically controlled central diff found in other mainly RWD cars (BMW ''X'', Mercs ''4-matic, etc) or rear engined sports cars which use viscous coupling, but THAT my friends will never be the pure mechanical quattro!
    Cheers
    I agree, when Audi went to the expense and effort to gain only 150mm then chances are this is it's absolute limit of improvement possible. Because of this I've often wondered if Audi will ever drop torsen awd in a purpose of a better balance chassis and if they do then what is the options open to them?

I don't think anyone other than BMW will deny that Torsen is the ultimate awd system but there are some limitations with it like the one mentioned here.

Am very doubtful as Audi invested millions in developing differentials that fit with torsen (crown diff lately) to ditch all of that in favor of becoming just another ''BMW'' or whatever... Audi should stay that - a leader in 4WD technology.

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    Am very doubtful as Audi invested millions in developing differentials that fit with torsen (crown diff lately) to ditch all of that in favor of becoming just another ''BMW'' or whatever... Audi should stay that - a leader in 4WD technology.
    The packaging of Torsen has long been an issue for Audi. Indeed, the entire front wheel drive versus rear wheel drive debate has been an even bigger problem for Ingolstadt. It is almost certain that Audi would invest in a radical new AWD solution if it weren't for the advent of future vehicle technologies. Whether tomorrow's cars use hydrogen fuel cells or some other advanced fuel, electric engines are likely to power most new cars from 2020 onwards if not before. Electric motors are so small and light, you can place one at each wheel and have the most perfect Quattro system ever conceived. With batteries and other mechanicals mounted between the axles, you'll have perfect 50:50 weight distribution. Have no doubt, this is coming.

In the meantime, Haldex is not as good as Torsen, but it's a million miles better than it was. The electronics are so sophisticated now. So you can still buy a short wheelbase RS model: the RS3 and TT-RS!

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    The packaging of Torsen has long been an issue for Audi. Indeed, the entire front wheel drive versus rear wheel drive debate has been an even bigger problem for Ingolstadt. It is almost certain that Audi would invest in a radical new AWD solution if it weren't for the advent of future vehicle technologies. Whether tomorrow's cars use hydrogen fuel cells or some other advanced fuel, electric engines are likely to power most new cars from 2020 onwards if not before. Electric motors are so small and light, you can place one at each wheel and have the most perfect Quattro system ever conceived. With batteries and other mechanicals mounted between the axles, you'll have perfect 50:50 weight distribution. Have no doubt, this is coming.

In the meantime, Haldex is not as good as Torsen, but it's a million miles better than it was. The electronics are so sophisticated now. So you can still buy a short wheelbase RS model: the RS3 and TT-RS! :-)
    I have to agree with your logic here, hybrid technology is in it's infancy and as the shortage of oil demands more radical solutions then the need to push the development of electric motors and batteries farther will see the size reducing and efficiency increasing of these things to the point where conventional quattro systems are deemed unnecessary. I'm actually surprised that Audi haven't shown a more convertional model with full electric quattro system combining a modest diesel engine which charges the batteries that power the electric motors in each wheel which do the actual propulsion.

I'd also agree with Tailpipe's logic seeing as the tech is already in use:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...nt/e/miev.html
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Has anyone heard any news or rumors!? Please let me hear som good news! The lack of info is killing me!
    RATTRacing.com

@ this point it's all up in the air.