Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Production Audi Quattro concept spotted in testing

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'd say they're not testing it, they're filming and/or taking photos of it
    Guess I was right...
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

This is almost as painful as staring into the sun.

BTW Qisha, may I please order a carbon fiber ring emblem at least?

I fell in love.
    Eat. Breathe. Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    BTW Qisha, may I please order a carbon fiber ring emblem at least?
    Ebay is full of those

So does the hood actually go from front wheel well to front wheel well? Anyone seen an engine bay picture yet?

Article and huge gallery @ Fourtitude

According to my London Audi dealer, this car is definitely going to get made and the UK price should be not much more than the RS5 at around £65,000 or €90,000. Apparently, Audi doesn't think that many buyers will shell out more than this for a 5-cylinder car.

Don't worry about the Quattro eating into R8 sales. Audi is already working on a successor. This will replace both V8 and V10 with a new 4.0-litre V8 developing an astonishing amount of horsepower with more than enough grunt to show the Quattro a clean pair of exhaust pipes. I don't believe there will be a successor to the V10 R, but the V8 should have about the same horsepower.

In the meantime, I love the Quattro concept. It should be here for 2013. That's my info. I don't know how correct it is, but Audi has already opened an 'expression of interest' book. In my experience, they only do that with cars that are definitely on the manufacturing agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    According to my London Audi dealer, this car is definitely going to get made and the UK price should be not much more than the RS5 at around £65,000 or €90,000. Apparently, Audi doesn't think that many buyers will shell out more than this for a 5-cylinder car.

Don't worry about the Quattro eating into R8 sales. Audi is already working on a successor. This will replace both V8 and V10 with a new 4.0-litre V8 developing an astonishing amount of horsepower with more than enough grunt to show the Quattro a clean pair of exhaust pipes. I don't believe there will be a successor to the V10 R, but the V8 should have about the same horsepower.

In the meantime, I love the Quattro concept. It should be here for 2013. That's my info. I don't know how correct it is, but Audi has already opened an 'expression of interest' book. In my experience, they only do that with cars that are definitely on the manufacturing agenda.
    It's very encouraging to hear that! The car is just sublime!
    As far as the new R8 goes, I wouldn't bet on its motor to become FI... We can look at what is going on at Santa Agata to see what's gonna be in future R8! Lambos will maintain their (and Audi's) n/a but high efficient engines that will continue to provide true sports car experience (with sound) to owners, and coupled with new carbon-fiber / aluminium chassis earn few ''green'' and low carbon foot-print credentials... In my opinion, FI engines will prevail in regular, ''A-model'' line based cars and their siblings..
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    It's very encouraging to hear that! The car is just sublime!
    As far as the new R8 goes, I wouldn't bet on its motor to become FI... We can look at what is going on at Santa Agata to see what's gonna be in future R8! Lambos will maintain their (and Audi's) n/a but high efficient engines that will continue to provide true sports car experience (with sound) to owners, and coupled with new carbon-fiber / aluminium chassis earn few ''green'' and low carbon foot-print credentials... In my opinion, FI engines will prevail in regular, ''A-model'' line based cars and their siblings..
    Cheers
    The figure of £65k sounds great if true, I must admit it's a little less than I had heard but less is always better when it comes to price.

It's interesting that you feel Audi and Lamborghini won't offer differing engine choices, after all the R8 comes in a V8 while the Lambo doesn't. There has to be significant improvement in efficiency and emission from Lamborghini as with all supercar manufacturers and the baby which is the bread and butter models that sell in the greatest numbers need to go a long way to meeting these new regulations. Now there is little doubt that weight and more efficient N/A engines will help in this task but the question is whether it can be fully achieved without switching some of the engines to FI.

Especially as Ferrari have openly admitted they are seriously considering FI in the very near future.

Audi R8 V8 is almost at same price level similarly speced as V10 (around 10-15k $), so it isn't selling very well as such. More, Audi introduced that engine in R8 just to test the market acceptance for Audi's ''supercar''... As soon as it became a success, V10 arrived... In that respect, I don't feel there is going to be such or similarly powered engine in the next model, that would share the same engine from the ''regular'' RS line Audis. Lambo's philosophy is to keep n/a engines in their cars since such formula provides true sportcar experience. This philosophy had to be agreed with their bosses (Audi), so it is to believe they share the same passion and attitude towards same cars. Couple that with lightweight materials - and you got a winner in your hands. Pure, rough, race inspired supercars!

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    Audi R8 V8 is almost at same price level similarly speced as V10 (around 10-15k $), so it isn't selling very well as such. More, Audi introduced that engine in R8 just to test the market acceptance for Audi's ''supercar''... As soon as it became a success, V10 arrived... In that respect, I don't feel there is going to be such or similarly powered engine in the next model, that would share the same engine from the ''regular'' RS line Audis. Lambo's philosophy is to keep n/a engines in their cars since such formula provides true sportcar experience. This philosophy had to be agreed with their bosses (Audi), so it is to believe they share the same passion and attitude towards same cars. Couple that with lightweight materials - and you got a winner in your hands. Pure, rough, race inspired supercars!
    I understand why you are of the opinion that the V8 was only there to test the water but it's still regarded as the better R8 to own for driving experience. As both models are out of my price bracket I don't really mind what Audi decide to do with the next one but I hope they offer a great difference from the Lamborghini than currently because when you consider most reviewers prefer the Audi that also much cheaper it doesn't exactly help Lambo's sales.

If there has to be a N/A version then keep that for the Lamborghini and make the Audi version to more balanced overall car that can still offer enough excitement but include the refinement and drivability that is seldom present in such cars.

Rough, racy and loud = Lamborghini

Refined, drivable and excessable = Audi

This is the coolest thing at four wheels at the moment....

Man could I get laid driving that around! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    Man could I get laid driving that around! LOL!
    If it takes this to get you laid then you are in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    This is the coolest thing at four wheels at the moment....
    It is unquestionably this.

It proves to me that sometimes you have to fail to succeed. The RS5 is an excellent car in many ways, but it doesn't do anything better than the other models it was meant to compete with. It wasn't very advanced or very frugal. When the emerging spec was discussed on RS6.com, many of us commented on this. We were right. it set a low standard and failed to achieve it.

Now Audi has come back with this.

Low weight +
    Light engine for even less weight +
    Lots of power

= Extraordinary capabilities

it's a perfect formula.

as cool as it is, it is still more of a retro-futuristic coupe than it is an exotic. you may call me biased but it is no R8. the next R8, if audi's recent design exercises are anything to go by, will be ridiculous.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Erik, when do we get a Quattro Concept thread?

Quote Originally Posted by RXBG View Post
    you may call me biased but it is no R8.
    You ARE biased, but it is a totally understandable one as the R8 is the measuring stick for all future cool Audis. Me, I'd have a hard time deciding between either one. They both ooze a cool factor I do not find in too many other cars out at the moment. If the Sport Quattro had rear seats, it would get the clear nod on my part. But since they are both strickly two seaters it is a tough choice!
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan