Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official! Audi RS 3 Sportback

Oh dear, the Autobild article says the ride is not suitable for anyone with sensitive vertebrae, I.e. It will be preferred by those with masochistic tendencies. I guess it is the only way to tame that much power in what was originally only a humble front-wheel drive platform.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Oh dear, the Autobild article says the ride is not suitable for anyone with sensitive vertebrae, I.e. It will be preferred by those with masochistic tendencies. I guess it is the only way to tame that much power in what was originally only a humble front-wheel drive platform.
    One report (Autocar) says it's firm firm but perfectly acceptable and this one from Autobild says the complete opposite. I think it will take a number of proper roadtests conducted on a selection of roads that are minus the snow to fully determine whether the ride is OK or not.

TTRS is also rough..... is that a surprise...... these are sports car.... not cars for cruising around right ?
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Quote Originally Posted by youry View Post
    TTRS is also rough..... is that a surprise...... these are sports car.... not cars for cruising around right ?
    Have you driven a Porsche 911 Turbo S or a Ferrari 458 Italia or even a humble Audi B7 RS4? They all go fast and ride beautifully.

I hve owend 996 TT, RS4 V8 and now RS5....
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

I hve owend 996 TT, RS4 V8 and now RS5....
    Then you know what I mean. I've tried TT-RS with magnetic ride and found it better than the standard springs and dampers. You know what, Youry, the inescapable conclusion about the RS3 is that it was developed on a budget and relies solely on it's engine to deliver an RS experience. The signs of cost-cutting are evident throughout.

I am going to wait until I see a proper road test, but I'm starting to think that I may be better off with an S4 Avant. It is about £5K more expensive when loaded with necessary options, such as dynamic steering, drive select and other torque vectoring hardware.

What do you think?

I agree, I've got to drive this before placing the order.

I was down for an early car, but my desire to test drive first has pushed me down the queue. I'm not prepared to take the punt, if I miss out so be it.

An S4 would be a good alternative, I dare say discounts are to be had on these too. I spec'd one near to 50k, I'd be looking for 10% on that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Then you know what I mean. I've tried TT-RS with magnetic ride and found it better than the standard springs and dampers. You know what, Youry, the inescapable conclusion about the RS3 is that it was developed on a budget and relies solely on it's engine to deliver an RS experience. The signs of cost-cutting are evident throughout.

I am going to wait until I see a proper road test, but I'm starting to think that I may be better off with an S4 Avant. It is about £5K more expensive when loaded with necessary options, such as dynamic steering, drive select and other torque vectoring hardware.

What do you think?
    Comparing RS3 with S4 is really challenging.... but the right answer is that both cars meets different needs/objectives for different people... so its up to you to see what you are looking for...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Comparing RS3 with S4 is really challenging.... but the right answer is that both cars meets different needs/objectives for different people... so its up to you to see what you are looking for...
    Not only what you have said but the different length in wheelbase, the different awd system, engine design/execution and the different demand on performance intention will mean these two cars will be a totally different driving experience.

absolutely
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

Originally posted by Youry:

"Comparing RS3 with S4 is really challenging.... but the right answer is that both cars meets different needs/objectives for different people... so its up to you to see what you are looking for..."

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Not only what you have said but the different length in wheelbase, the different awd system, engine design/execution and the different demand on performance intention will mean these two cars will be a totally different driving experience.
    My objective is to transport wife and kids as fast as possible in an Audi that's fun to drive and suitable for driving in London but also for occasional longer trips. The S4 is slighter larger and less agile, the RS3 is slightly less practical.

I love the RS3's engine. I think it has so much more character than that of the S4. The more I learn about the RS3, the more respect it deserves. Audi has made a very well engineered car.

I just wish we could get the elusive Qisha to provide an inside view of its capabilities.

What is Qisha going to tell you that you don't already know?

You know that magnetic ride isn't part of the options list.
    You know that it will roughly be as firm as the TTRS which is it's closest equivalent.

If Qisha told you the ride was perfect would you take his word and order blind or would you still wait until you made judgement yourself?

eat this BMW!

amazing - just amazing

Looks fun!

That looks like a lot of fun.

Tailpipe,

Here's a report which might be worth reading, mentions the ride as firm but still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    What is Qisha going to tell you that you don't already know?

You know that magnetic ride isn't part of the options list.
    You know that it will roughly be as firm as the TTRS which is it's closest equivalent.

If Qisha told you the ride was perfect would you take his word and order blind or would you still wait until you made judgement yourself?
    It is always interesting to hear an inside view on RS cars and Qisha's insights invariably reveal small details that others miss out. Most of all, i like the way he explains why certain decisions have been made. There was a lot of concern about the different width wheels on the RS3. He confirmed that this solution had worked very successfully before in other Audi models, which was reassuring.

I have ordered an RS3 blind! So maybe i've been a fool. With or without magnetic ride, i think it will be a superb car. i trust Audi / quattro Gmbh to make it so.

BTW, thanks for posting that report.

I saw this video yesterday and thought it was great.