Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official! Audi RS 3 Sportback

Ordered

Mine ordered. I think it has to be one of three colours: Phantom black, Daytona grey or Suzuka grey. It has to have the matt aluminium package. I like the Misano red but it is a bit over-the-top for me, especially with the red alloys. Only optional extra equipment I need is magnetic ride. Roll on April.

Yes, RS3 is late.

Yes, RS3 is based on a 9-year old platform that will be replaced in a year's time.

Yes, it is expensive for an A3.

Yes, Audi is milking its cash cow for all it's worth.

...but, it is a superb car. No other hot hatch can touch it. We just have to hope that it drives fantastically.

I'm looking forward to it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Mine ordered. I think it has to be one of three colours: Phantom black, Daytona grey or Suzuka grey. It has to have the matt aluminium package. I like the Misano red but it is a bit over-the-top for me, especially with the red alloys. Only optional extra equipment I need is magnetic ride. Roll on April.

Yes, RS3 is late.

Yes, RS3 is based on a 9-year old platform that will be replaced in a year's time.

Yes, it is expensive for an A3.

Yes, Audi is milking its cash cow for all it's worth.

...but, it is a superb car. No other hot hatch can touch it. We just have to hope that it drives fantastically.

I'm looking forward to it very much.
    Congratulations on your choice. Don't worry about how it will drive as it's got probably the best engine for it's size and the best transmission out all the dual clutchers. I agree on the MR suspension option, the TTRS is very firm without it. Oh and if you really feel the need for the aluminium pack then I reckon Daytona or Suzuka suit it best if the RS5 is anything to go by.

P.S.
    I know this is probably a silly question but did you get any assurance of discount.
    Last edited by Erik; November 23rd, 2010 at 17:08. Reason: Removed attempt to input pictures...

Will Audi offer a Dark Blue or will we have to pay over 2500 euro to get it trough Audi Exclusive?

So far, it looks like only five colours will be available: Ibis white, Suzuka grey, Daytona grey, Misano red and Phantom black. I'd love Audi to add a Dark blue. It would definitely be my first choice colour.

Qisha - I'd love to get an RS3 in deep sea blue, pearl effect. Any chance you could ask for this colour to be added to those already listed? Also, please can we have your inside view on what to expect, now that it is no longer secret. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Damn, sounds about par for the course...
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Once again we will not have the chance in North America to get this cool product from quatto GmbH.

Aren't those tailpipes slightly oval?

Mine ordered.
    Congratulations!

Audi UK

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a3/rs3-sportback.html

"Oval tailpipes
    The twin oval tailpipes can be specified with either a chrome or highly polished black finish and combined with the unique matt black rear diffuser makes the RS 3 Sportback’s intentions clear."

"Twin chrome oval-shaped exhaust pipes"

But they don't appear to be very oval to me.

Is all this really standard equipment? Well done if true!
    Driver’s Information System (DIS) with lap timer
    Satellite Navigation system – DVD-based
    Audi Music Interface (CD changer can be ordered in lieu of AMI)
    Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface

Anyway - 2011 - the year of the small performance cars?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Audi UK

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a3/rs3-sportback.html

"Oval tailpipes
    The twin oval tailpipes can be specified with either a chrome or highly polished black finish and combined with the unique matt black rear diffuser makes the RS 3 Sportback’s intentions clear."

"Twin chrome oval-shaped exhaust pipes"

But they don't appear to be very oval to me.

Is all this really standard equipment? Well done if true!
    Driver’s Information System (DIS) with lap timer
    Satellite Navigation system – DVD-based
    Audi Music Interface (CD changer can be ordered in lieu of AMI)
    Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface

Anyway - 2011 - the year of the small performance cars?
    Yeah the UK standard kit is very high, much higher than it is in the TTRS, so if it does only command a price of no more than £40K it will roughly be about £8-10K cheaper than the similarly equipped TTRS. That would put it very cheap and better value than the equivalent S3 which specced like the RS3 would cost approximately £35,500 and that's guessing what Audi might charge for the DVD Satnav and 19" alloys which can't be confriged on this website.

Sorry for repeating the question, but do you know whether or not this will ever come as a regular 3dr? Quisha? Anyone?

RB

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBice View Post
    Sorry for repeating the question, but do you know whether or not this will ever come as a regular 3dr? Quisha? Anyone?

RB
    From what I've hard. Only Sportback.

no time for that... this is just a limited run of 2700! new model just around the corner...

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    no time for that... this is just a limited run of 2700! new model just around the corner...
    And I have to say that I LOVE the idea of a limited run of only 2700 units...i will hope for some of those units to come over here and hope for the owner to take care of it and hope to have money ready for when he decides to sell...that's a hell of a lot hoping i guess.... :S.

I was going to ask how forum members expect the RS3 to perform versus the S4, but early comparisons of the RS3's performance figures suggest that it will smoke a BMW M3 in a straight line if not on a track, so perhaps I should be asking how the RS3 stacks up against the RS5?

If Audi gives us an RS3 that beats both the RS5 and M3 for £10,000 less, we'll have very little to complain about. Sorry to labour the point, but the 2.5-litre 5-cylinder increasingly looks like a supersmart engine choice. We can all lament the lack of an RS4 with a glorious V8, but I'm beginning to wonder whether the 5-cylinder motor is the last gasp of the internal combustion engine?

In 2015, several manufacturers will launch fuel cell cars. Meanwhile, we'll see more electric cars with longer ranges (300 miles plus) as lithium ion battery technology gets better. I fully realise that it will be s long time before we see the final demise of petrol-powered cars, but with the end of the road now approaching, I wonder how many manufacturers will invest in big engines? For sure, Audi will deliver its much anticipated 4.0-litre V8 engine, but I think the market for it will be considerably less than previous V8's despite its brilliance. V8s are replacing V12s, V6s are replacing V8s, and L5s are replacing V6s. It is a domino effect of high efficiency that is now demanded across all high performance engines. Beyond Audi's 2.5 L5 and 4.0 V8, who knows what lies ahead?

Personally, I am looking forward to driving a Quattro with an electric motor attached to each wheel. The eerie silence will be disconcerting, but who cares if the performance is electrifying? While we wait for this brave new world to unfold, I'm looking forward to enjoying my RS3. If Audi puts the same engine in an RS3 model based on the next generation A3 platform, it is likely to be 4-6 years before it appears. The driving environment we know today is likely to be a very different place by then. In the meantime, US friends who want the RS3 should petition Audi again. All in all, I think this car is going to be a runaway success for Audi.
    Last edited by tailpipe; November 25th, 2010 at 11:30.

I was going to ask how forum members expect the RS3 to perform versus the S4, but early comparisons of the RS3's performance figures suggest that it will smoke a BMW M3 in a straight line if not on a track, so perhaps I should be asking how the RS3 stacks up against the RS5?
    Against the RS5 you say. I think there are a few comparison tested that European magazines have conducted against the TTRS (same engine but much lighter) that suggest the TT to be quicker up to the ton (100mph) but after 130mph or there abouts the RS5 holds the upper hand which means the RS3 will probably hold it's own against the RS5 and M3 to the 1/4mile mark but after that it will be a little slower than either and will increasingly fall out of touch. On the plus side one thing we do know is that the TTRS is quicker on the track than the RS5 so maybe the RS3 might also be a little quicker which in turn would place it very close to the times achieved by the M3 also but without a comparison test and some hard data to back this up it is only a guesstimate.

For the price the RS3 is looking like this year's bargain buy among luxury performance brands.

P.S.
    I think the 2.5L will increasingly be used within the Audi brand to promote performance and efficiency in equal measure.
    Last edited by Erik; November 25th, 2010 at 13:17. Reason: EDIT....

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    For the price the RS3 is looking like this year's bargain buy among luxury performance brands.

P.S.
    I think the 2.5L will increasingly be used within the Audi brand to promote performance and efficiency in equal measure.
    Yes, very much so.

My only concern about RS3 is how good the quality of the ride and handling will be.

Note to Audi:

1. I'm not crazy about 5-spoke alloys; please can you make 7-arm twin-spoke alloys available as an option in titanium, aluminium or black.
    2. Get rid of silver detailing on rear spoiler. It looks like an after-market add-on.
    3. Offer car in deep sea blue
    4. Make magnetic ride standard

Thank you.

Couldn't agree more!
    Qisha, could yo tell us 2 things: when can we configure(and order) the car and can you give us an insight on the new Haldex, is it the same as the saab XWD?