Thread: Gearbox behaviour

Gearbox behaviour

Hi all,

Since i bought my RS6C5 the box has the following symptoms:

While changing gear the revs before and after a gearchange rise a little, approx. 200 rpm.
    It doesnt happen when on full wot, just lets say at gearchanges around 3000 rpm.
    Box oil has been changed at around 55.xxxkm, now at 104,xxxkm.
    Apart from this, it fuctions just fine. No slipping at low rpm (in 5th gear) at throttle.
    Need to mention while i wanted to top up the rear output part of the gearbox (o ring has been replaced but is still leaking...)there was a amount of oil coming out as soon as we loosened the drain plug. Engine/box were warm, but i think the amount was at around 200ml...car was level.
    Doesnt look normal is it? or it has been over filled while the car has been jacked up at only one side.

Whats your opinion reading the above?

https://youtu.be/KoeBIdZ73kU
    Last edited by kilian tuning; May 30th, 2015 at 14:03.
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

I think (hope?) it's fairly normal as both of my C5s (RS6 and S6) exhibit a similar behavior to some extent. It's more noticeable on my S6 but that could just be due to the fact I usually drive it in a more relaxed manner as it's our family car.

Torque converter spinning in regulate mode during shift then tightening up...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Would start with checking for codes, but unlikely. Then a full trans service- filter and complete fluid exchange (16+ qts). Get a TCU tune if it doesn't already have.

Center diff holds appx 800ml. 200ml is probably just enough to keep it from seizing. Fill and flush, fill and flush...

I use 85-140 for extra protection.

If the new seal is leaking may mean the output flange needs to be replaced. There is an updated version along with a matching seal. Not cheap.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Torque converter spinning in regulate mode during shift then tightening up...
    So you say thats normal?

Quote Originally Posted by kilian tuning View Post
    So you say thats normal?
    There has always been some play when shifting which is natural. Maybe it's not just what you have going on. I think it's just the fact that both the TC and your trans clutches are opening up for the shift. You could tighten things up with an MTM or Viper TCU tune, which is good for many reasons.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    There has always been some play when shifting which is natural. Maybe it's not just what you have going on. I think it's just the fact that both the TC and your trans clutches are opening up for the shift. You could tighten things up with an MTM or Viper TCU tune, which is good for many reasons.
    Thanks for the reply.
    think/hope its normal then...
    it already has the viper tcu, but i forgot to ask to remove the kickdown function which i think is very annoying.

Yes i know about the updated version.
    strange thing still is why there was oil coming out when i wantedto top up the rear part ofthe gearbox