Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RS5 | M3 [Autocar]

I hate to love this car, but the honest truth is that I love it. It looks amazing and definitely sounds great. I just wish the BMW looked as good as the RS5 because I adore the M3. It truly is a hard choice between the two for me because M3s have been around for a long time and has kept that heritage. If I were purchasing one of the two, it comes down to which dealer can offer me the best deal.

for me they don't target the same needs. if you are a good driver and want to play with it sliding.... M3. if you like driving safety RS5.... performancewise is basically about the same... that is how I should summarize both cars...
    Youry
    RS QUATTRO
    www.rsquattro.com

More track times where RS5 got owned by the M3!

http://www.cartweak.com/scans-genroq...vs-bmw-m3.html

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    More track times where RS5 got owned by the M3!
    NOT!!!

the "King of the Coupes" is starting to look more and more wobbly on its throne as the growing body of test results start to speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroRisk View Post
    NOT!!!

the "King of the Coupes" is starting to look more and more wobbly on its throne as the growing body of test results start to speak for themselves.
    yep. The list is getting longer and longer...

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...3_e92_dkg.html

Enjoy your car!

Quote Originally Posted by darkop View Post
    yep. The list is getting longer and longer...

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...3_e92_dkg.html

Enjoy your car!
    Yeah but you can just hear the M3 gang complaining that the times weren't done on the same day as they excuse for the RS5 being quicker.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yeah but you can just hear the M3 gang complaining that the times weren't done on the same day as they excuse for the RS5 being quicker.
    Dunno, some may and some may not. I guess the mounting evidence confirms the objective truth, which is that these two cars are very close indeed as was meant to be all along - although very different in execution and mag tests are useful for sure, but there is no real subsitute for a personal test drive. After the sure-footed RS4 my M3 is a real dog now in mid-winter, but charming and suitably thrilling nonetheless - and there is little vanity in the tail happiness in this slippery season. But, if Audi only could get the upcoming FL out of the way, shorten the gearing and lower the price slightly, then I could re-join the family..Or, wait, then the winner could be the upcoming 991 911, which probably comprehensively spank both cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yeah for sure, but then again all of these laptimes (bar Ring Knutstrop (Conf 2)) were taken from the same day comparisons for these two cars.
    Hockenheim Short 1:15.30 1:14.00 (WRONG TIME! 1.14.20) -----> same day (Sport aUTO)
    Sachsenring 1:40.81 1:40.67 ------> same day (Autobild)
    Anglesey National 1:03.80 1:03.90 -----> same day - AutoExpress' Performance Car of the Year
    Fuji Speedway (post 2005) 2:01.80 2:02.90 ------> same day (Japanese scans above)
    Millbrook Alpine Hill Route 1:50.65 1:50.90 -----> same day Autocar's head to head
    Ring Knutstrop (Conf 2) 1:13.80 1:15.60 ------> this could be separate days, different testers!!!?? - not sure
    Haute Saintonge 1:04.07 1:04.30 -----> same day (automoto.fr - plus agains C63)

There is another lap time comparison here http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...audi_rs_5.html but not as complete as the one above and they made mistake for M3's Anglesey National (1:03.90 is correct as above). They are gonna merge them together soon so we'll have better picture, but STILL with the SAME overall winner!!
    Last edited by darkop; February 14th, 2011 at 09:41.

OK,
    now we've got full merged list, with very realistic outcome and verdict!

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...audi_rs_5.html

So Audi is a bit faster (wins 5/9) all in head to head tests, so this leaves no doubt about its credentials on the track, which is very objective stuff! All other things like driving feel, enjoyment are down to driver's preferences and background!

Best,
    D

I know it's a bump but couldn't resist.
    The ''list'' is getting updated and we can safely assume the RS5 is FASTER than the M3. It's 8 out of 13 wins for Audi.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...audi_rs_5.html

Heaven forbid someone posts this on either Bimmerpost or GermanCarForums, there would be an uproar at the thought that their beloved M3 was slower than the lardy RS5 with it's extra 150kgs to haul around.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity