Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing RS6 Avant

Importing RS6 Avant

Many moons ago, I was an avid BMW fan and imported both an E34 3,8 ltr M5 and an E31 M8 from Germany into the US through the federalization process...it was a nightmare but I got some pretty cool cars from it.

Can anyone tell me if they have imported an RS6 avant into the US? I am sure it has been covered here, but I would really like to try and do this again.

Warm regards,

Stephen

If it were possible, I'm sure Dave would have one by now! Lmao
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

That wasn't meant to discourage you. If you do find a way, I'm sure Dave will be right on your heels.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

not sure if your talking about c5 or c6 but a Canadian company tried to do this with the c6 and it was a no go after nearly a year of trying. There's a thread about it. Search
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

C5 would be possible. Definitely not C6.

Just C5. I think it should be possible because there is a like model that was imported. I will have to look it up on the list, and then speak to the folks that did my ther two cars to see if they would consider petitioning it..than find the right car.

Well there are plenty of avants over there. Shouldn't be too hard to find the one you want.

You guys.

There is a full page in the DOT book to import the 2003 C5 RS6. It has been done a few times. We also covered why the 2004 C5 RS6 was not imported to the US. Thanks to our EPA(see my sig)

Forget about the C6 RS6.

That said, if you're serious it can be done one of two ways. The full DOT method or a "show car" method but with limited yearly mileage.

If your loading a shipping container....I will join you with another car.

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    If it were possible, I'm sure Dave would have one by now! Lmao

Would go the full DOT route. Would have to be a 2002, 2003 car according to the "list". I had great success with JK technologies in Balitmore back around the 2000 time frame. I understand it is easier now. Also, I work for a German company. Lets take this offline Dave. I am almost 100% I will have a go at this now. It will be March when I pull the trigger. I will PM you with my contact details.

Stephen

Can't remember now, but I think TWO RS6 Avants (C5) have been mentioned before here.

Didn't one come via Mexico?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Autobahn Exotics in Chino Hills, CA has one, and it has been on and off for sale for awhile. Might want to check with them (714) 369-8291

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal S6 View Post
    Autobahn Exotics in Chino Hills, CA has one, and it has been on and off for sale for awhile. Might want to check with them (714) 369-8291
    Good guys over there. I saw the car in 2007 when Nick brought it out to a meet.

Here are some crappy photos of it...

If there is room for three, LMK. I need an old quattro brought over.

It is not actually that hard to bring grey market cars over here.

Its the cost and time needed for import that sucks the balls, and jumping thru DOT and EPA hoops that suck.

I learned from the wrong way of doing it, when I imported my 1989 Rallye Golf in 2005.

So any questions please shoot

The importation of a 2003 RS6 Avant was approved by the NHTSA as published in the Federal Register in April, 2006. See http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/E6-6135.htm. Webautoworld of Pompano Beach FL was the Registered Imported (RI) who pettioned the NHTSA and VW of America commented on the petition. VW's comments caused the NHSTA to lay out 8 different modications that would have to be made and documented by the RI in order to have a car comply with the safety regulations of the US.

So it is entirely possible to import an Avant into the US, you just have to moditfy all the things mentioned in the above document and be able to prove you did it.

I don't know about the EPA emission requirements but JK Technologies should know how to handle that. I also used JK back in 2002 to import a 1995 BMW 3.8liter M5.

I might suggest contacting Will Zaraska in Toronto at http://www.willz.ca/. Will is a broker who specializes in finding European BMWs and importing them to customers in the US and Canada. He found my M5 for me and had it shipped to Baltimore for JK Technologies to pick-up. I don't know if he would try to locate an Audi or not.

What countries are LHD? RHD?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    What countries are LHD? RHD?
    http://ecom.toyota-gib.com/English/V...HD%20Guide.htm
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver

That is pretty good but missing some obvious ones like Germany, Spain, UK, Italy...
    Ok, yeah, I have been to Germany/UK in 1998 and Saudi/Qatar/Bahrain/UAE in 1988 and remember the roads... and driving styles..
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared