Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCU removal

TCU removal

Got the ECU out, easy- big thank you to Dave for his guidance! He gave direction on removal of the tcu, but he said I have to remove my glovebox. I can't find the 6 bolts/ screws holding it up, anyone have pics? TIA
    Stephen

Care to pass on the removal instruction for the rest of us?
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

You don't have to remove the glove box. You remove the pass side kick panel, two screws behind covers. Then unclip the runner along the door that holds the carpet down. Adjust the seat to the rear, and pull the carpet up. You will see the black box right where your feet would be if you were ever the passenger...pull it up off the guide pins and disconnect the plug.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

ECU?, located in weather proof plastic box, inside engine bay, next to master cylinder. U need 7mm socket, extension that swivels, also 10mm wrench to remove pos battery cable. Remove cable, pull rubber weather stripping that holds the plastic top shield where ecu box, mc, etc is located. Once stripping is removed the plastic top or shield will slide out, gently lift lip closest to you and pull off. On driver side is a squarish box that 5 7mm bolts head screws, remove them, I was lucky cause the back, hardest to get to was not there. Lift top off and get it out of the way. Ecu in sight, but is held in place by security antitheft shield. On the left hand side top are 2 what look like cap screws but w/o a slot for a screw driver. It's a safety feature when ecu was installed the machine screws were tighten and top head broke off. U must have a dermal with a cutting wheel. Cut a slot into each one, they are locked with a blue locktite, so a big slotted screwdriver worked best. Once removed, the case slides, slide it to passenger side( it won't come off), but exposes 1 pf the 2 harness connections. Pull on the end of the larger harness connector, the cam comes out about 1 inch and it pops out. Then u can slide the shield towards driver side to fully expose smaller harness, pull on end so cam comes out 1 inch, and the 2nd harness will pop out. That's it ecu removed.

TCU comes out a little easier if you remove the glove, side kick panel, push the pass. seat all the way back then roll up the rug. Don't have any pics but the glove box should be an easy pull, 3 screws on top, 3 on bottom, I think. Pulled mine yr/yrs ago and I remember it being simple.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I pulled mine behind hoppen ms with Joe helping me and we didn't do anything with the glove box. I remember it being pretty easy.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

To me the hardest part was lifting up the Carpet. After removing the passenger kick panel and the carpet molding below the passenger door you have to lift the carpet. Well that carpet is stiff and very well insulated and its a bitch to lift and hold while you remove the TCU. But with a little effort it can be done. Definitely don't have to remove the Glove box..........
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevens View Post
    To me the hardest part was lifting up the Carpet. After removing the passenger kick panel and the carpet molding below the passenger door you have to lift the carpet. Well that carpet is stiff and very well insulated and its a bitch to lift and hold while you remove the TCU. But with a little effort it can be done. Definitely don't have to remove the Glove box..........
    Ya, the first time I did the tcu R&I, I wedged a wooden block under there to support the carpet while I fiddled with the tcu. Now, it's been in and out so many times that the carpet no longer has any resistance.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    ECU?
    No, TCU. Nice paragraph though!

Victory!, took glove box out, was easy in the end, but yes the carpet was a bitch, unfortunately I removed engine ecu and battery terminal off, so my seat was back as far as it could go, but managed. Thanks all. Now off to flash, eurocharged and mtm...keep ya all posted.

Sounds like a couple of us are on the same path right now....
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I did that same access to just see the serial number on the old On-Star box after they replaced it way back when Audi THOUGHT they knew what was wrong with it. NOT...They replaced the module for the On-Star but did not call it in to On-Star to activate the friggen module....bastards...that was the same day I picked up the car with the 'DRC all set' NOT...

Not fun pulling that thick carpet LOL....

Mike

Pulling it back to access and then blow out the condensation drain was no picnic either. (The leaking water just rolled around on the floor and didn't soak through at all - almost like it was solid vinyl with a fuzzy top layer)

i literally just took out my TCU 5 mins ago! it was actually pretty damn easy!!!

1. move the passenger seat to the back
    2. use a flat head and remove the tiny trim cover on the passenger side kick panel
    3. use a philips (+) screw driver and take out the two screws on the passenger side kick panel.
    4. pull the passenger side kick panel out, remember, where it meets the door sill, there is one clip attached to it... use some effort there.
    5. yank out the door sill till the b-pillar (u dun need to take out the whole thing, but make sure u dont accidentally push the seat adjustment buttons)
    6. stick your hand in and remove the TCU box from the holder!

didn't have to remove glove box... took me approx 3 mins to take the TCU out!

Quote Originally Posted by tidus888 View Post
    i literally just took out my TCU 5 mins ago! it was actually pretty damn easy!!!

2. use a flat head and remove the tiny trim cover on the passenger side kick panel
    3. use a philips (+) screw driver and take out the two screws on the passenger side kick panel.
    4. pull the passenger side kick panel out, remember, where it meets the door sill, there is one clip attached to it... use some effort there.
    5. yank out the door sill till the b-pillar (u dun need to take out the whole thing, but make sure u dont accidentally push the seat adjustment buttons)

didn't have to remove glove box... took me approx 3 mins to take the TCU out!
    What about the 2 phillips headed screws that hold the TCU to the box? Gonna need a stubby or right angle screwdriver to remove them

-Todd

Quote Originally Posted by toddc View Post
    What about the 2 phillips headed screws that hold the TCU to the box? Gonna need a stubby or right angle screwdriver to remove them

-Todd
    oh fail.. i forgot to mention that part... hey...

but i think it should be common sense on that part!!!! LOL

if someone attempts to just ripe the TCU out of the box with the two screws....then... thats just sad

Quote Originally Posted by tidus888 View Post

didn't have to remove glove box... took me approx 3 mins to take Click image for larger version. 

Name:	424489_324715797873&.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	12280the TCU out!
    Adding photos to help this thread...also fairly obvious but wanted to mention the croc claspClick image for larger version. 

Name:	395376_324715441865&.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	12279 that holds the TCU to the connector pin its somewhat intuitive but no one made mention of it don't thinkso anywayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	431218_324714909851&.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	12278
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    Adding photos to help this thread...also fairly obvious but wanted to mention the croc claspClick image for larger version. 

Name:	395376_324715441865&.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	12279 that holds the TCU to the connector pinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	431218_324714909851&.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	12278

I just got my TCU Back and tried but could not figure out how to get the Clasp and connector pins back together can someone advise if possible, I don't wanna break this thing after sending it all the way to Canada to get the MTM. Insight appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's