Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TCU removal

TCU removal/exchange

I used this thread to get my TCU out and off to Francois Beaumont at Horchaus - Performance Tuning in Montreal. I thought I would post pictures of my endeavor and try out my new photo bucket account.

The TCU sits where my key is in this picture. Under the passengers floor board.

Remove two screws and gently pull the lower A-pillar trim away.

This is what it will look like without it.

Next pop off the sill trim.

Reach in and pull the TCU box out. This is where its helpful to have a block of wood as suggested by others. The carpet is very stiff.

The box opens easily.

No glove box removal needed for this.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Unscrew these two screws.

Release this clamp.

I sent this off to Montreal in one piece. After reading others stories, I wish now that I would not of. I should have opened the box and looked at what was in there. Maybe I had an aftermarket TCU already?!?!? It would have been nice to know. It does drive better. And for the price, you can not beat it! But its not the drastic difference described by others. Makes me wonder.

It took about 7-10 days to get my TCU back even though I shipped it overnight. I was sweating the entire time thinking it would get lost in Customs or some other disaster.

A side note: The car does drive without a TCU. It just will not go out of 1st gear. I should NOT know this! I sent it off before leaving for vacation. I did not tell my wife. She love the RS6 and drives it whenever she can. She unknowingly took it out without the TCU when we got back from vacation. She came back and said, your car is driving funny. Luckily she did not go far. Scary!
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Great job with the pix...they tell it all.

Good to know the car can be at least moved w/o the TCU installed...I'd should remove the TCU when I travel for work so the wife doesn't go out with MY car with her friends !
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon