Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For once everything is running well...

Thumbs up For once everything is running well...

I drove the beast to work this morning. 55F outside, slightly damp road from rain last night. Stomped it up a hill on the highway, already going 60mph and got some wheel spin with traction control light flickering... on 275 PS2s. This car is an absolute rocket. I love it. It's nice to feel like it's worth it, even if it's a fleeting experience, after spending this much time and $ to get her running right again.

I started with a beat down MTM RS6. Low miles, full upgrades (turbos, low comp headgasket, exhaust, ecu/tcu, bosch fuel pump, etc) but every problem I can imagine -

constant limp mode issues
    slipping TQ converter
    leaking diverter valves
    missing/disconnected stereo wiring
    multiple failed/failing relays
    broken contact on MTM ecu
    broken harness connectors
    trashed DRC
    crumbling brake pads and worn out rotors (SQUEEEEEEK)
    bent wheels
    corroded trans logic board
    failed EGT sensors (twice in 1 year)
    leaking turbo seals
    torn bushings
    cv joint
    and on and on

Today its nearly perfect.

full IPT trans
    new o/e rotors and EBC red pads
    wheels repaired & repainted, new tires
    DRC recall complete, done correctly!
    hotchkis swaybars
    wagner intercoolers
    rebuilt MTM turbos
    APR duck-call diverter valves
    resoldered MTM ecu, latest rev
    all broken factory stuff fixed (relays, egt, etc, god bless Fidelity warranty)
    30k service done early
    tons of nit-picking little annoyances that my OCD cant stand, all fixed - missing factory screws, harness connectors with broken tabs, etc.
    added 1/8 audio jack connector which is perfect for my MP3 player

And now after all the VAGCOM logging and troubleshooting sessions and frustration, it's running like it should. It truly is a 4k missile and brings joy to my soul. My wallet hurts a bit but being pushed back into the gray leather drivers seat makes the pain go away. Only 28k miles and I plan on keeping her until the warranty runs out or I lose my job.

Lot's of help from this board getting everything sorted. Thanks guys.

Wow, a true journey of passion. Congrats

Lets see some new pics.

Congrats on getting it sorted, and a shame your car was treated so poorly... Trust fund kid, or what?

I had a similar experience this morning, driving into the office early in 40 degree air... oil temp had just hit 250 as I merged onto I94 in front of a newer WRX. I dropped the hammer, and in the cool air the beast just flat out rocketed to 100... I wish I had a stop watch on it.

The WRX was about a dozen car lengths behind in about ten seconds.

The tingle means it's working.

How in the heck do you get oil temps to 250? I cant get em that hot in AZ 115 degree heat.

We need a vag com log of your MTM tune. Can you get one for us(Pat and I)?

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Congrats on getting it sorted, and a shame your car was treated so poorly... Trust fund kid, or what?

I had a similar experience this morning, driving into the office early in 40 degree air... oil temp had just hit 250 as I merged onto I94 in front of a newer WRX. I dropped the hammer, and in the cool air the beast just flat out rocketed to 100... I wish I had a stop watch on it.

The WRX was about a dozen car lengths behind in about ten seconds.

The tingle means it's working.

My temp almost always hovers around 200. As it is getting a little cooler in MN now, they are staying below 200 in normal driving. If I flog it for a while, it will rise above, but a few mins of soft driving they are back to just under 200. This is when air temps are in the upper 50's f.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I'm hoping/thinking he meant 200...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I'm hoping/thinking he meant 200...
    Same here, I was envisioning my gauge and yep, 200 is where is should be, at least in my experiences with my stocker and Greg's
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

please tell me more about the '1/8 audio jack connector which is used for your MP3 player'??

cost and difficulty to install??

Tough crowd! Durh... I meant 200°... Don't know why my fingers typed 250. Stupid fingers.

My car usually hovers around 200 when I'm giving it the spurs and seems to deliver a bit more boost once it hits 190 or so. Yeah, I need to do some fresh logs, it's been awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    please tell me more about the '1/8 audio jack connector which is used for your MP3 player'??

cost and difficulty to install??
    BlitzSafe AUDI/AUX DMX V.1B
    http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...X_DMX_V1B.html

1. Pull the radio (you can buy the "keys" from that site too)
    2. Plug into back of radio
    3. Spend 20 mins jamming wires & box in space behind radio until it magically fits.
    4. Route wiring to where you want it.

I have the 1/8 jack coming up the side by the handbrake. I could make it even neater but this works well enough. You just choose the CD changer that doesn't exist and it plays. Stereo, no problems works great.

Just be careful when you pull the radio, it's easy to scratch up the plastic if you aren't careful. I'd grab a few rags and stick them between areas of contact when it's sitting pulled out.

And a rag on the steering column too, when pulling the instrument panel
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by dmross View Post
    BlitzSafe AUDI/AUX DMX V.1B
    http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...X_DMX_V1B.html

1. Pull the radio (you can buy the "keys" from that site too)
    2. Plug into back of radio
    3. Spend 20 mins jamming wires & box in space behind radio until it magically fits.
    4. Route wiring to where you want it.

I have the 1/8 jack coming up the side by the handbrake. I could make it even neater but this works well enough. You just choose the CD changer that doesn't exist and it plays. Stereo, no problems works great.

Just be careful when you pull the radio, it's easy to scratch up the plastic if you aren't careful. I'd grab a few rags and stick them between areas of contact when it's sitting pulled out.
    what plugs into that unit to run the ipod or iphone? is there an iphone hook up?

I thought I'd post an update with my latest RS6 adventures. Since my last post, I've dealt with the following:

dead coil pack
    tear in wiring harness causing short
    leaking axle seal (repaired 3 times)

Then the other day, my wife took the car for the evening. The next morning she tells me it was making noise and was hard to steer. I check the PS fluid and see that it's a bit low and frothing so I top it off to the proper level. By the time I get to work the power steering is no longer functioning and a huge puddle of PS fluid pools up under the car. I take it to the dealership and they tell me that the steering rack is leaking from both ends and needs to be replaced... which, of course, necessitates pulling the engine. The Fidelity adjuster should be there today to confirm their assessment and I'll be cruising in style with my Ford Escape rental for a few days. God bless my Fidelity warranty, best decision ever.

Also, I have decided I'm done with the DRC. Initially I had thought it was done properly, and the car drives ok, but sometimes the back is so much higher than the front and it looks like crap. I bought a set of KW V3s that will hopefully be here in a few days. They will compliment the new wheel setup nicely, but those are still a few weeks out...

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in a set of MTM wheels? 19x9.5 ET30. The have been to wheel repair and were repainted but it isn't the best paint job so they could use some love. PM if interested.

Dont you just issues! Really hope they get the issue sorted out and get you back on the road soon.
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's

Quote Originally Posted by dmross View Post
    Speaking of which, is anyone interested in a set of MTM wheels? 19x9.5 ET30. The have been to wheel repair and were repainted but it isn't the best paint job so they could use some love. PM if interested.

The MTM LOVE!!!
    What is your location?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Pittsburgh. I updated my profile, thanks for the reminder.

The MTM wheels are packed up and ready to head to their new owner.

KW V3s installed. I have the Hotchkiss sway bars installed as well and it's a much stiffer. Still running my snow wheels while I wait for the new ones...

Sits nice!
    2004 Black/Black,EPL Tune *** 0-60 in 3.5 seconds SOLD :( - - 2002 TT Porsche 724WHP 10.43@139mph/ Motor build in progress. looking for 9's