Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some service costs:

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Only a helpless chump would pay 3k for a brake job. Yes, the parts are expensive, but if you can change a tire and google, man-up, head to the garage, DIY the brakes and save a four figure sum that would be better applied toward a case of Havana Club Aņejo 7 Aņos or whatever.

That was my theory. Then I got hooked on the RS 6 crack pipe and barely touch cars two and three...
    Skribe u have inspired me, at least to swap the rotors/brake pads....So I found an article on changing a4's set up, cant imagine its that diff. I have done a alot of work on my Ford Bronco, only problem is tools...I dont have hex head set(will be buying), can someone tell me what size for caliper and carrie bolt pls, 7mm? also when I hacked car up last week to clean rims off car, I didnt see any place for jack stand, Sorry guys, the architecture is new to me...I know where to place the jack, but where the stands? any suggestions on the rotor/brake pad swap?

2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

that is perfect-TY...I know what I am doing saturday....and saving some coin

This IS a fun thread:

75k service
    Timing belt kits from ECS = 470
    Watching Pat do most of the work = Priceless
    Plugs, all filters, oil, vacuum hoses = 290

Other Items
    Another oil change(BND) = 125
    Aces = 70
    Tranny service kit w/BND fluid= 250
    Listening to Pat bitch about my ATF flowing into his armpit = Priceless
    MTM TCU = 125
    Drinking a beer while Pat was soldering it in = Priceless
    New winter tires = 750 + 40 labor
    Purge valve = 80
    Red Stuff pads = 175 parts + 40 labor

edit: Dyno Day's including paying for Pats first run = 165 (figured I owed it to him...hehe)
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    This IS a fun thread:

75k service
    Timing belt kits from ECS = 470
    Watching Pat do most of the work = Priceless
    Plugs, all filters, oil, vacuum hoses = 290

Other Items
    Another oil change(BND) = 125
    Aces = 70
    Tranny service kit w/BND fluid= 250
    Listening to Pat bitch about my ATF flowing into his armpit = Priceless
    MTM TCU = 125
    Drinking a beer while Pat was soldering it in = Priceless
    New winter tires = 750 + 40 labor
    Purge valve = 80
    Red Stuff pads = 175 parts + 40 labor

edit: Dyno Day's including paying for Pats first run = 165 (figured I owed it to him...hehe)
    LOL for priceless Pat.

Curious, what are they and where did you score winter tires for $750?

Hankook Icebear W300. Really seem to be a great tire. I have been using them for a couple hundred miles even though it is still getting in the 60's here. (long story) They are XL 99V rated. AND the right size on stock wheels (255/40/18). No expirenece in snow yet but I plan on posting a review when that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    LOL for priceless Pat.

Curious, what are they and where did you score winter tires for $750?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

and where did you get these tires for the price?
    SOLD - 2002 Audi S6 - RS6 front, H&R's, 18" OEM RS6

They were from tires-easy.com. Very odd company to work with. I see that they aren't listed on their webiste anymore. They were 169 each and 77.82 shipped to my door. $753.82 total. Doing a quick search, I cannot find them anywhere at that price now. Looks like I got a deal.

I was also looking at Falken Eurowinter's. The closest size they come in is 245-40-18. This would be about .4" less diameter, and it wouln't really be noticeable. It may even be good to have a little narrower for the snow. Looks like a good tire as well. You can get those at about the same price.

Edit: change to tires-easy from easy-tire

love this thread, please continue posting
    :)
    01 Bullitt
    03 RS6
    04 R1

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    Skribe u have inspired me, at least to swap the rotors/brake pads....So I found an article on changing a4's set up, cant imagine its that diff. I have done a alot of work on my Ford Bronco, only problem is tools...I dont have hex head set(will be buying), can someone tell me what size for caliper and carrie bolt pls, 7mm? also when I hacked car up last week to clean rims off car, I didnt see any place for jack stand, Sorry guys, the architecture is new to me...I know where to place the jack, but where the stands? any suggestions on the rotor/brake pad swap?
    Here, I took some pics of where I raise the car and place the stands: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...highlight=jack
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

TY Pat, Dave , etc......actually changed pads tonight, i did not swap rotor cause i need to buy hex bolt set, but pads were easy....No i am not driving it until i buy hex head set and swap rotors, damaged originals when levering pads off rotor.....but man, pads were easy, cant believe I was going to pay my guy $600 bucks for labor.......btw, while in there I noticed the tie rod boot was shot, on the passenger side, i assume original, any ideas as to life of these? i have 71k on clock......could this contribute to my alignment being off, pulls a little hard to passenger...TIA

TY Pat, Dave , etc......actually changed pads tonight, i did not swap rotor cause i need to buy hex bolt set, but pads were easy....No i am not driving it until i buy hex head set and swap rotors, damaged originals when levering pads off rotor.....but man, pads were easy, cant believe I was going to pay my guy $600 bucks for labor.......btw, while in there I noticed the tie rod boot was shot, on the passenger side, i assume original, any ideas as to life of these? i have 71k on clock......could this contribute to my alignment being off, pulls a little hard to passenger...TIA
    Pull hard right? I remember it wasn't hard but it was something that you had to be mindful of... slightly irritating...

Hex Head? do you mean torx head? not sure what you mean...

I am waiting for my frozens to come back in tomorrow
    I am ordering my .... opps... almost let the cat out of the bag...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Pull hard right? I remember it wasn't hard but it was something that you had to be mindful of... slightly irritating...

Hex Head? do you mean torx head? not sure what you mean...

I am waiting for my frozens to come back in tomorrow
    I am ordering my .... opps... almost let the cat out of the bag...
    Phaeton ducts?!?!
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Who let the cats out all over the friggin place.

Well not pull hard, but clearly cruising 65+ she drifts right. Not sure about tie rod, there is no slop in the steering, just was wondering life of them, the driver side looks new, passenger side, looks original, and as stated boot is shot. Sorry not hex head, allen head, 10mm to take off caliper.....Ben, tell me what u think of frozens bedding indstructions, they say street driven NOT to hard brake, but be gentle for 100-200 miles, w/ my stoptech pads, I thought bedding involved stop go hard braking initially?

rotors installed, grippy stop techs and she stops perfectly.....thanks skribe, u saved me some coin on the install-I had fun doing it..slowly as I get used to my beast, and not intimidated about the engine, technology etc, I look forward to future projects. Like I have said, I have worked alot on my Ford Bronco over the last 3 years, this is whole diff animal. Monday full tune up and 75k service! That i wont be doing

Well not pull hard, but clearly cruising 65+ she drifts right. Not sure about tie rod, there is no slop in the steering, just was wondering life of them, the driver side looks new, passenger side, looks original, and as stated boot is shot. Sorry not hex head, allen head, 10mm to take off caliper.....Ben, tell me what u think of frozens bedding indstructions, they say street driven NOT to hard brake, but be gentle for 100-200 miles, w/ my stoptech pads, I thought bedding involved stop go hard braking initially?
    That is what EBC indicates to do is 60mph to 10mph but don't stop, continue 4-5 more times and then take it for a 20 minute ride - not stopping...
    Reiterating what the Great Dave suggested
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

rotors installed, grippy stop techs and she stops perfectly.....thanks skribe, u saved me some coin on the install-I had fun doing it..slowly as I get used to my beast, and not intimidated about the engine, technology etc, I look forward to future projects. Like I have said, I have worked alot on my Ford Bronco over the last 3 years, this is whole diff animal. Monday full tune up and 75k service! That i wont be doing

Rock on speed. Now go spend the money you saved!