Thread: Custome ECU tunes - open source?

Custome ECU tunes - open source?

On a 4 hour drive today I was thinking about how much of a rip off it seems to pay 3,000-4,000 for a flash of your ECU. While I understand you are paying for the R&D, it still seems kind of excessive.

I was formerly a Web developer and have been programming most of my professional life along with being a data acquisition engineer for some pro race teams. I've always wondered if it would be possible to take an open source approach to ECU upgrades. Right now, buying an APR or O.CT ECU flash seems like spending a lot of money on Microsoft Server 2008 when open-source products like Linux exist for free.

The first argument that I would hear from people working together on ECU code upgrades would be "I would rather have a solid company behind the product than some nerds hacking away at code that is going to blow up my engine.". This sounds like the same argument that many CIOs and Directors of IT get when "going open source" is pitched to save money with companies like Microsoft. 10 years ago, people laughed at the idea of using open source for mission critical systems and now systems like Linux are a much more robust than any Windows server.

Ok, sorry to digress...

Back to my main point. I have heard of some people doing "custom ECU tunes" and I've always wondered what software they use and flash their ECU. It would be logical that with enough "minds" involved with the development of ECU software, that the open source mentality could be used when approaching this problem. Basically, provide technology upgrades and hacks of our systems used from the collective wisdom of many.

Probably the biggest problem would be for someone to trust this code since our engines are almost non-replaceable.

Just an idea and maybe I'm completely full of BS and need to find something else to think about.

Chris
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

I was curious if one could just read the data on an ECU and just copy it to another EPROM

Your concerns are well merited. I too feel the cost is pure rip-off as other cars tunes are half the price. An ECU tune is an ECU tune, shouldn't matter much from tune to tune. It's like saying we should pay double for the same pump gas as others 'cause we drive the 6. There's several sites on the net that offer info on custom mapping, just search for "nefmoto", one of many.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I don't necessarily think that you need to go out and get or create a custom tune, but I share your concern over dishing out $3000 for a tune that is 7 years old. You have to remember that at the time of this cars release there was a race to the market for tuning options. I've ended up having great results from a newer tuning company that put some time into it's map, rather than rushing something to crowded shelf.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

By now you'd think Audi would have offered something.

It's their market too!!

You mean like Mopar does with their srt vehicles? Audi does it to a very limited extent with their Stasis line...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    You mean like Mopar does with their srt vehicles? Audi does it to a very limited extent with their Stasis line...
    Which is still just the highly overpriced GIAC tuning. Both of my local Audi dealerships here sell GIAC (Stasis), at a healthy 25% markup.
    Last edited by V8weight; August 30th, 2010 at 04:31.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Oh jesus. I had GIAC on my S4 i just sold. It definitely gave it a healthy kick in the pants, but even then it didnt go like a mildly raped ape like my beast does. Replacing the plugs and packs as soon as they come in the mail, and will be removing my IC's and having them re-welded at the seams. After all that, ill install the Joe Dirt Foot Pedal so she'll really get up and go! Yee haw. But seriously, im putting in the RS+ pedals when they come in. Anybody who ordered their replacement rotors off genuine(which i saw from the email confirmation is really miramar Audi) get an approximate time i should see these things in the mail?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    ... Anybody who ordered their replacement rotors off genuine(which i saw from the email confirmation is really miramar Audi) get an approximate time i should see these things in the mail?
    2 days, but I live 20 miles from Miramar they are HEAVY...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

You should visit www.nefmoto.com Nefmoto has built a free flashing tool to flash your own ECU and is coming out with other free tools. There is also a section for tunes so maybe someone will post a tune for the RS6's.