Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FOR SALE (finally): 6 Speed 01E Adapter Kit for the C5 RS6

I used the clutchmasters flywheel and the "Spec Stage 3 plus" clutch. Only have about 400 miles on it so far, ever so slight chatter is going away now and it's holding the power...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    No secret what shop I trust and has the skills to do anything and everything to these cars properly. ;-)

I concur with this.

I've had a long conversation with Jason @ AMD and have learned a lot from him. The fact that he got the ECU sorted out is especially esteem worthy. I only wish I lived near him 2 years ago when all this first got underway.

As for you I trust your judgement as well and am willing to admit that I do not have the experience on the driveability and characteristics of the car and how it should be. Read this as a legitimate plea of ignorance when it comes to this, as I'm not an aggressive style driver at all. Just ask my wife.

I have some additional thoughts and questions because you make it seem like the clutch will need to be replaced with every oil change.

With normal or spirited driving on a stage 1 tune, what is your estimate on how long a well sorted clutch like AMD's setup will last?

Having done 4 C5 conversions and a few B5 2.7T projects, I'd say a clutch swap with the RS6 is a degree of difficulty lower than a torque converter job and a degree of difficulty higher than a 2.7T or C5 N/A 4.2 swap.

I've done it on the RS6 with and without dropping the motor and trans together. It can be done on jackstands as well. I never said it was easy, though. Gabor doesn't pull the engine when he gets a car either.

Anyway, your comment on the clutch swap got me thinking...
    Last edited by SteveKen; February 14th, 2013 at 19:18.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

You can absolutely get the 01E out, for a clutch change or whatever, without pulling the motor. Might have to remove the passenger side down pipe, but it can be done. It's a b*tch, but it can be done. I had mine in, pulled it back out, and installed another one in a weekend.
    2013 Audi S8

I got to thinking about the whole new TC vs. this swap. I would like to do this swap but here is where I am. I have warranty, so it's free vs out of pocket. I can and will go out of pocket for the right price. Unfortunately I have little to no skills so I will be hiring all the work. I'm curious what kind of money it would cost me for total conversion. Obviously labor charges vary but I'm just looking for a rough estimate of what people have spent....
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Quote Originally Posted by bmwade View Post
    I got to thinking about the whole new TC vs. this swap. I would like to do this swap but here is where I am. I have warranty, so it's free vs out of pocket. I can and will go out of pocket for the right price. Unfortunately I have little to no skills so I will be hiring all the work. I'm curious what kind of money it would cost me for total conversion. Obviously labor charges vary but I'm just looking for a rough estimate of what people have spent....
    I would think that as soon as you swap over to a manual conversion, you can say goodbye to your warranty.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by na1mt View Post
    I would think that as soon as you swap over to a manual conversion, you can say goodbye to your warranty.
    Probably..but with no autobox or TC, probably wouldn't need the warranty!!! (yeah right!!!)

Seriously...my thoughts are...
    If you have to pay someone, turnkey...probably $7k-$10k would be a safe and reasonable bet. There are places online that advertise $12k for the kit and $15k for install...

I sourced all my parts from various places and did all my work myself and spent way less, but I can't recommend this route, but suffice to say, I had no choice. Look at it this way..$2100 for Steves kit, $2000-$4000 for swap parts and $1000-$1500 for a new clutch?...now your at $5k-$8k or so with no labor. What does your local shop charge? Have they done a swap? Will they do it? It's not an easy job.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Probably..but with no autobox or TC, probably wouldn't need the warranty!!! (yeah right!!!)

Seriously...my thoughts are...
    If you have to pay someone, turnkey...probably $7k-$10k would be a safe and reasonable bet. There are places online that advertise $12k for the kit and $15k for install...

I sourced all my parts from various places and did all my work myself and spent way less, but I can't recommend this route, but suffice to say, I had no choice. Look at it this way..$2100 for Steves kit, $2000-$4000 for swap parts and $1000-$1500 for a new clutch?...now your at $5k-$8k or so with no labor. What does your local shop charge? Have they done a swap? Will they do it? It's not an easy job.

If you think for one minute that if you took your car to a dealership for warranty work under a fidelity warranty or something of that nature and the dealership reported that you have completed such a conversion that your warranty would remain intact.....well I have a few bridges I'd like to sell you.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bmwade View Post
    Get a new TC + trans under warranty and immediately remove it and sell it to fund a manual swap!

Quote Originally Posted by na1mt View Post
    If you think for one minute that if you took your car to a dealership for warranty work under a fidelity warranty or something of that nature and the dealership reported that you have completed such a conversion that your warranty would remain intact.....well I have a few bridges I'd like to sell you.
    Nope. As soon as they looked in the window and saw the shifter, they would tell you take get it out of there...even if the warranty issue wasn't driveline related...
    2013 Audi S8

Now I am not sure if I want to ride in your car. I don't know if I can afford it. Just reading this gets me antsy for a swap and having a shop that can do it so close to me...
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Nope. As soon as they looked in the window and saw the shifter, they would tell you take get it out of there...even if the warranty issue wasn't driveline related...
    Yes I figured as much. But with the DRC gone the TC is the main reason I have left for concern anyways...
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I concur with this.

I've had a long conversation with Jason @ AMD and have learned a lot from him. The fact that he got the ECU sorted out is especially esteem worthy. I only wish I lived near him 2 years ago when all this first got underway.

As for you I trust your judgement as well and am willing to admit that I do not have the experience on the driveability and characteristics of the car and how it should be. Read this as a legitimate plea of ignorance when it comes to this, as I'm not an aggressive style driver at all. Just ask my wife.

I have some additional thoughts and questions because you make it seem like the clutch will need to be replaced with every oil change.

With normal or spirited driving on a stage 1 tune, what is your estimate on how long a well sorted clutch like AMD's setup will last?

Having done 4 C5 conversions and a few B5 2.7T projects, I'd say a clutch swap with the RS6 is a degree of difficulty lower than a torque converter job and a degree of difficulty higher than a 2.7T or C5 N/A 4.2 swap.

I've done it on the RS6 with and without dropping the motor and trans together. It can be done on jackstands as well. I never said it was easy, though. Gabor doesn't pull the engine when he gets a car either.

Anyway, your comment on the clutch swap got me thinking...
    Steve,

I anticipate the clutch lasting for several years or more as it will not be my daily driver. The clutch job went from a basic job (in theory) to double the cost (I don't do this stuff myself) so it was more of a rant than anything. Because of this I'm holding off for now. I didn't know the adapter made it an extremely difficult/time consuming clutch job, Jason didn't know this either until digging further.

ttboost, I pay shop labor rate so the extra PITA translates to more $$$ depending on the time. How many hours did it take you?

Steve,

I anticipate the clutch lasting for several years or more as it will not be my daily driver. The clutch job went from a basic job (in theory) to double the cost (I don't do this stuff myself) so it was more of a rant than anything. Because of this I'm holding off for now. I didn't know the adapter made it an extremely difficult/time consuming clutch job, Jason didn't know this either until digging further.

ttboost, I pay shop labor rate so the extra PITA translates to more $$$ depending on the time. How many hours did it take you?
    I understand about shop rates. I am fortunate that I have a place here that I can work on stuff..otherwise I would still be whining the stock sluchbox blues.

I don't see how the adapter plate is a hinderance? I used the factory spacer and it's not any more difficult. I didn't really keep a stop watch running, but my best guess is I spent 25-35hrs, not including gathering parts. A day here, couple hours there and there...it adds up...then tuning and dyno time, etc...adds up to weeks of work in the end...

I hope to have mine back today.
    2013 Audi S8

I understand about shop rates. I am fortunate that I have a place here that I can work on stuff..otherwise I would still be whining the stock sluchbox blues.

I don't see how the adapter plate is a hinderance? I used the factory spacer and it's not any more difficult. I didn't really keep a stop watch running, but my best guess is I spent 25-35hrs, not including gathering parts. A day here, couple hours there and there...it adds up...then tuning and dyno time, etc...adds up to weeks of work in the end...

I hope to have mine back today.
    I'm utilizing all the bolt holes that the automatic transmission uses, so I'm catching the one to the left of the left most soft plug. This makes it tricky to get past the driver's turbo when it's installed. See below. With the normal spacer, I don't like how the upper oil pan isn't supported by the transmission. I've tried it and the assembly does sag if you support only the back of the transmission and the front of the engine when the green bolt holes and the starter is attached with two nuts ans bolts.

2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Yeah, the green one up at 2 O'clock behind the passenger wastegate wasn't any fun either...
    2013 Audi S8

25-35 hours on a clutch job? Wow!

25-35 hours on a clutch job? Wow!
    Sorry... 25-35 hrs for he manual.swap. clutch can.be done in a long day
    2013 Audi S8

Sorry... 25-35 hrs for he manual.swap. clutch can.be done in a long day
    What are your driving impressions so far? I drove the MTM/Sportec RS600 with the 6 speed for about 5 minutes and I remember it being a transformed car. Does it feel any faster? SteveKen claimed a 13% increase in WHP on back to back dyno runs. How does it feel?