Thread: Fin Removal.....

Fin Removal.....

Anyone successfully remove the fin? My GPS is now connected through a fob on the dash and i'd love to see some solutions to the fin. I remember people trying out smaller versions on the b5 S4s.
    2003 RS6 Avus - MTM Cat Back - HRE M40s - Sway - Kenwood DNX 9960

Succesfully? Lol, its quite easy. All you have to do is pop out the rear dome light assembly, and you will see just to the rear of the gaping hole, is the nut holding the fin to. simply loosen the nut and presto. Your choice of uses for the wires going into the antenna are yours, i simply cut mine as i mounted the aftermarket gps antenna inside the fin.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by pierson View Post
    Anyone successfully remove the fin? My GPS is now connected through a fob on the dash and i'd love to see some solutions to the fin. I remember people trying out smaller versions on the b5 S4s.
    I like my fin. As a matter of fact I am trying to get an adapter which will allow me to connect my Sharkfin antenna which terminates with a Female Fakra connector at the OnStar Module to my Kenwood DNX 9960 which uses a GT5-1S Jack for the GPS antenna. No luck yet, but I am working on it. As for removing the fin, I think its easily accessed by removing the rear dome light. I don't think you have to remove the Headliner.....
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

I've got the kenwood dnx 9960 as well. keep me posted if you find that adapter, i might want to use it as opposed to the fob
    2003 RS6 Avus - MTM Cat Back - HRE M40s - Sway - Kenwood DNX 9960

If you don't cut it I would be interested in purchasing it from you.....

Quote Originally Posted by pierson View Post
    I've got the kenwood dnx 9960 as well. keep me posted if you find that adapter, i might want to use it as opposed to the fob

Well I tried to get the adapter, but the supplier would not make it unless I ordered 300 pieces. So much for that. So I got bold and cut the Blue Fakra jack off the cable from the SharkFin to the Onstar unit. I also cut the GT5-1s plug from the GPS antenna that came with the Kenwood and spliced the two together. I soldered the center conductors together wrapped with electrical tape. Twisted the braided shields and soldered them together. Wrapped the entire connection with aluminum foil and then covered with heat shrink tubing. Now came the moment of truth, didn't know If this was going to work or not. Walla, all satellites came in. Before I cut the plug off the Antenna that came with the Kenwood I connected it to check the signal strength of the satellites, so I could compare it to the signal strength using the cars Sharkfin antenna. Wind up being the Sharkfins signal strength is a little less than the signal strength from the antenna that came with the radio. This could be due to a 7 year technology difference, or the fact that the car factory antenna is actually beneath the Sharkfin which probably attenuates the signal somewhat. In both cases however the Overall signal strength meter shows 5 Bars(Max Signal Strength) and is more that sufficient for reliable GPS communication. I don't know If any one would want to take this rout, but it does work. And its probably the only way your going to get the Factory sharkfin to work with an aftermarket radio. I haven't finished installing the radio yet, but when I do I will post pictures.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.