Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New RS4 next year ...

Merc' is keepinig 6.2l V8 n/a in C63, and I think it will keep it until the end of production of current C class... Also I'm expecting Audi to power next RS 4 with 4.2 n/a, as RS 5...
    No reason for them to put future RS 6 engine in the outgoing model (B8)...

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Dear Friends,

there have never been any plans to engineer a RS 4 Sedan (B8). The RS 4 Avant however is still on schedule (most likely debut @IAA 2011).

Qisha
    please mr qisha, tell us there will be a manual 6 speed for rs4 avant.

Quote Originally Posted by r8dream View Post
    please mr qisha, tell us there will be a manual 6 speed for rs4 avant.
    If there were to be a manual option then you would have saw it on the RS5.

I hear that the B8 RS4 Avant that Qisha said would appear at the IAA in September has now been cancelled.

Anyone know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    I hear that the B8 RS4 Avant that Qisha said would appear at the IAA in September has now been cancelled.

Anyone know anything about this?

Too many RS's? And luke warm response to the RS5?

hmm, quite possible since we haven't seen anything 'till now..

I would say so as every other RS model from C6 RS6, TTRS etc you have seen out testing a good 10 months prior to be released - nothing has been spotted of this so its doubtful i would say of being released this year

Seems like we have given up too early!

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...rs4-avant-mule

And of course it won't be ''2014'', but much sooner!

This is great news.

I guess the engine will be the RS5's 4.2 litre V8 FSI developing 450 bhp?

But we also have the the new S6 rumoured to be arriving as soon as Frankfurt with the newer 4.0 litre V8 TFSI developing 408 bhp?

It's going to be tough to choose between them. Nice problem to have.

fantastic news! looks like it is getting the rounded guards of the B7 rs4 which is great. Hoping it gets a manuel gearbox option as well and not the stronic in the rs5

This is great news.

I guess the engine will be the RS5's 4.2 litre V8 FSI developing 450 bhp?

But we also have the the new S6 rumoured to be arriving as soon as Frankfurt with the newer 4.0 litre V8 TFSI developing 408 bhp?

It's going to be tough to choose between them. Nice problem to have.
    Only playing devil's advocate here but if Audi did indeed switch engines to the newer and more economical 4.0TFSI then could they possibly ignore giving the RS5 this engine using the excuse that the two car are somehow different?

So where does that leave the RS4, will it or won't it get the new engine?

I'm of the opinion that the RS4 Avant will retain the same tried and tested engine of the RS5, it works well with the chassis and drivetrain with little or no real development work compare to what an engine swap would bring. I only hope they bring some weight savings this time and make it a much more competitive package overall.

P.S.
    But what if Audi decided to ditch the V8 option altogether, retain the 3.0v6 of the S4 but switch from supercharger to a bi-turbo configuration, this would line it up with the new M3, itself making the switch to FI and downsizing at the same time. The timing of the RS4 would coincide with the M3 release date or at the very least be around the same time. An interesting possibility don't you think.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

There is only 3 - 3.5 years of running for both B8 A4/5 so not feasible to introduce new engine formula from quattro Gmbh! Wait for next gen B9 for something new! Till that time 4.2 will serve well, more so when there won't be a competitor from M division and Mercs C class retains 6.2 N/a engine!

To quote Qisha, "Whoever is dreaming about a forced V8 in the B Segment Class... time to wake up. This is not going to happen. The upcoming way is light, economical but still powerful... and i like it. " No one picked up forced V8 in B segment not happening...and "light".

My guess, wish, would be UR Quattro direction. If we remember the "beast" A5 with the upcoming RS3 2.5T tweaked to above-400 bhp, I would love to see this as the RS4 B8 or later!!! We already know that Audi can place the motor longitudinally in this platform and bhp would be tuned higher than RS3.

Audi was very sneaky with the intro of this A5, promoting "lighter". With bhp/liter numbers in Veyron territory (for what that's worth), at least this would separate the RS4 from the upcoming RS6 and RS7. Also bring the RS4 back to the original B5 somewhat.

This would definitely be my wish!!! Audi are you listening??? Qisha, is this what you were hinting at?

RS4 with the 2.5 TFSI would be wicked, but i wonder if Audi can safely squeeze 440 bhp out of it.

Zyklon5, to answer your question, check out MTM website and the upgrade for the TT-RS (472bhp on request) so I'm sure AUDI could easily give us 440bhp.

With this motor I don't see 6-speed in the forecast, more like DSG or S-tronic (7-speed)...unless they were going to do something special for the US market similar to BMW w/ M5 previous gen...highly unlikely!

When i heard about the new RS4, i wondered how it will compare to the RS3. I prefer the RS3's engine, more compact dimensions and price. That said, an Rs4 with a 2.5 litre 5-cylinder engine developing 400+ bhp in a lightened A4 Avant chassis would be a thing of wonder.

Sadly, I don't see it happening, at least not before B9. Those who say the 4.2 V8 is the motor Audi will use must surely be right, but Audi is milking this unit for all its worth. They've already done the development work with the RS5, so the same configuration in an RS4 saves time and money while delivering a worthwhile extra boost in performance. As much as we'd all like a 4.0 litre TFSI, it looks like this is being kept for A6 and above.

Joker, a twin turbo 3.0 litre V6 would also be a very interesting choice. Again, I just don't think it is going to happen before B9. With Audi having just sold its 5 millionth A4, you'd think this car would get a bit more love than Audi seems to be giving it. It just doesn't quite do it for me.

When i heard about the new RS4, i wondered how it will compare to the RS3. I prefer the RS3's engine, more compact dimensions and price. That said, an Rs4 with a 2.5 litre 5-cylinder engine developing 400+ bhp in a lightened A4 Avant chassis would be a thing of wonder.
    In the long term this will be the engine used in a lot of future RS models below a certain body size, or at the very least a derivative of this engine and as weights drop which they undoubtedly will, the need for outputs much beyond 400hp will probably not be required. Just look how quick a 1520kg TTRS can shift, 3.6s to 60, 9.3s to 100 and 17s to 130mph, so imagine if the next B9 RS4 weighed no more than 1550kg and had 420hp, the thing would be a monster.

No this engine is here to stand I feel.

Sadly, I don't see it happening, at least not before B9. Those who say the 4.2 V8 is the motor Audi will use must surely be right, but Audi is milking this unit for all its worth. They've already done the development work with the RS5, so the same configuration in an RS4 saves time and money while delivering a worthwhile extra boost in performance. As much as we'd all like a 4.0 litre TFSI, it looks like this is being kept for A6 and above.
    I won't want a 4.0T in this car, sure it would have effortless speed but the extra weight would cause the handling and more particularly the steering would suffer, two things that have shown get promise in the A6 because they have addressed it's overall weight and produced a more balanced chassis weight (55/45) compared with previous. Much better to work with smaller, lighter engines that are more efficient that asking power to cure all failings.

Joker, a twin turbo 3.0 litre V6 would also be a very interesting choice. Again, I just don't think it is going to happen before B9. With Audi having just sold its 5 millionth A4, you'd think this car would get a bit more love than Audi seems to be giving it. It just doesn't quite do it for me.
    It's a better choice in my opinion than the N/A 4.2 in the RS5, it's a great engine but better suited to a true sportcar which is light and agile and preferable with said engine mid-mounted. In my opinion the RS5 needed a FI engine from the very start and would have probably have got it if the world hadn't gone to shit and forced the decision to release at that time instead of waiting. Likewise I doubt they wanted it to weigh as much as it did but again the economic climate probably effected their proposed sales projections and stopped to use of light weight materials on this occasion.

P.S.
    I don't believe the fact the v6 wasn't a quattroGmbH developed engine effected their decision one bit, the RS4 was derived from the then S4 engine and the new RS6 will be a development from the 4.0TFSI used else where, so the 3.0v6 could equally have received the same treatment. Time and money are the more likely reasons if you ask me.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity