Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on launch

Need help on launch

Love my RS6 'cept for one thing: It's quite a bit slower than advertised from launch.

I'd been driving a chipped 2000 S4 6-spd for two years when my RS6 arrived, and I thought right away that it was no faster than the older car from launch. So last Friday I went to a local dragway where the best I've done on my S4 was a 14.2 quarter. My best run in the RS6 was 14.137 -- just a notch faster than the S4 but a full second or more slower than most of the times reported in car magazine road tests or comparisons. (My car already had nearly 8000 miles on it at the dragway, due to a just-completed trip, so "newness" should not be much of a factor; right?)

The elapsed time slip seems to indicate the problem is at the start: while I got to 60 ft. in 2.0 secs in the S4, it took 2.34 secs on my best run in the RS6. Others have written that a difference of .3 to 60 ft. results in a much bigger difference at the end of the quarter -- perhaps a full second IIRC.

For now I'm giving the car the benefit of the doubt until I develop a better technique. Currently I depress the pedal rapidly to the floor, but I don 't "stomp" it because that seems to make lag worse. On one of my runs I held the brake while depressing the accelerator some but not much -- to about 2000 rpm I think. I hesitate to press down further because I don't want to damage the car.

Any suggestions? Do the guys at the car mags rev up much higher before releasing the brake? Is such a practice harmful? What else could I try to come closer to the better results obtained by others?

(Please, no lectures on how the RS6 was not built to drag race. I don't plan to visit the track often, but I knew of no other way to confirm my suspicions that it's not much faster than my chipped S4 -- and quite a bit slower at launch.)

It sounds slow.

What fuel do you use? Do you foot break+accelerate up to about 2000 rpms?

A few runs with another RS6, http://www.rs6.com/articles/008.html

RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

I used Amoco's best here, 93 octane. Info & my questions on the brake issue are at end of my original post.

I replied to you in this thread.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Re: Need help on launch

Originally posted by JAXRS6
    On one of my runs I held the brake while depressing the accelerator some but not much -- to about 2000 rpm I think. I hesitate to press down further because I don't want to damage the car.
    The RS6 (or any other VAG-car for that matter) won't let you "left foot brake." I think around 2k rpm is max, then the car won't let you go higher.

Jaxrs6,

I have noticed when I turn the trac-control off and put the car in "manual mode" and hold the throtle and manually shift it tends to pull harder. I cannot confirm track time as of yet because I have not had the opporunity. If you use the drive mode it starts in 2nd and for some reason the sport mode does not seem as fast. Just what I have found....maybe different for others.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Have you tried using the paddles? I'm still waiting for mine, so I can't intelligently discuss this topic, but it's just an idea.

sorry,

Thats what I was talking about. The car seems to be faster using the paddles.
    Bauer

01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Wow, your car seems slow.

Mid 13's for two informal qtrs. was my experience. However, I have almost 2500 miles on my car. Two foot brake launches to about 1800 rpms worked just fine for me.

Srosie, what's an "informal quarter"?

How are times and distance determined at your informal quarter?

Passenger with a stop watch is the easy part.

The hardest part is finding a road with the proper distance and you need to be somewhat exact.

We only got off 3 runs and the best run was 13.4. The worst the 1st was 13.8. This was a straight country stretch of road, not a track. I think with pratice I can get it under 13 seconds.

Does the RS 6 start in 2nd gear if you are in automatic mode or does it start in 1st? Some cars (like the Porsche Boxster) start in 2nd unless you switch to "manual" and use the paddles to downshift to first before launch.
    :snow:

In the regular "D"rive mode the RS6 does start in 2nd in "S"port mode it starts in 1st and when in manual it starts in 1st.
    Bauer

01 S8

Originally posted by Bauer
    In the regular "D"rive mode the RS6 does start in 2nd
    :error: ?

Or is the RS6 à la USA different...I think not.

Erik,

Atleast that is what it appears to do. I have noticed that the sport mode launches much more quickly and since the display does not show what gear you are in unless you are in the manual mode it is hard to judge. I have on several occasions, when I was starting in drive, flipped to manual and it showed 2nd gear. Cant confirm it does this all the time but the few times I did it to check it was in 2nd. I may be incorrect but thats what appears to happen.
    Bauer

01 S8

When in 'D', mine won't let me select second gear until moving at 5 mph or so.
    03 RS6 Avant - Daytona Grey, Silver Leather/Alcantara :)

ahhh! that may have been my problem. I have only done it casually and didnt really think much of it. I was most likley past 5 to 10mph and it probably shiffted already leading me to think it started in 2nd. Sounds like I am wrong ....I will have to do more closley watched test. Sorry for the wrong info.
    Bauer

01 S8

Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere:

The S-mode will rev the car longer, hold the gears longer and also increase the revs in when in the lower areas so that the turbos will start charging right away.
    It is not possible to reach top speed with S-mode, with S-mode it will only use gears 1-4.