Thread: Snow Tires

Snow Tires

I'm not really prepared to start thinking of snow yet but this snow tire/wheel solution could take awhile. I would like to get a second set of 18 inch wheels for my snow tires. Tire Rack just told me that they don't carry a single wheel that will clear our brakes. Has anyone had any success finding some? I would prefer to stay with 18's and not go to 19's.

I believe Audi makes the stock 18 " wheels in a 1" narrower version expressly for snow tires.

I don't have the tires and wheels with me right now but Tire Rack is going to have

[COLOR=darkblue]I don't have the tires and wheels with me right now but Tire Rack is going to have a winter combo that will be available in November I believe and I think that the price is going to be in the $1800 range. I will dig it out tomorrow and post it or you should be able to call the Tire Rack and they have the info but you have to speak to a rep not just use the forms.
    Best wishes,

Bull

2003 RS 6
    2001 TT Coupe
    2002 TT Roadster
    2003 Nissan Murano
    RS6 Daytona Grey, Sport Exhaust Ma

Speed Racer is correct. Audi has an 18"x7.5" wheel specifically designed to clear the RS6 brakes. It will accept 225 wide winter tires. I was quoted something between $400 and $500 from my dealer.

I decided not to go that route. I face more rain and freezing rain than snow in my area and prefer to stay with the 255 wide tires. This requires an 18"x8.5" wheel. I'm looking for something that will work but don't want to spend lots of $ on wheels I will only use two months per year. So far, no luck finding an appropriate wheel.

Tire Rack told me they will have an 18"x7.5" wheel later this year.

Bob

Or you can do what I did...buy a nice set of non winter 19 inch aftermarket, or even 18 and use stock wheels for winter. I plan on taking off the stock Dunlops and going with All Season 18 inch tires.

I have been wondering about this myself... I was planning on puting snows or all-seasons on the stock wheels and puting the OEM tires on aftermarket wheels. I happen to have a set of BBS RK II's in 18x8.5, but I have not checked to see if they will clear the brakes. I am sure that they will fit with a minimal spacer if not right out of the box.

AA

I made the same inquiry of Tire Rack as I have been a long standing customer of theirs, but I got the same answer, "We don't carry anything we know fits." I've done an extensive hunt for alternative 18x8.5 inch wheels for winter. Very few sources in the USA know fitment to the RS6.

I found Pure Motorsport who was willing to find out. With them, I am doing a trial fit of OZ Superleggera III 18x8.5s. I'll plan to use these for the Dunlop SP9000 summer tires, then switch the stock 18x8.5 RS6 wheels to winter Blizzaks. Although there are photos elsewhere on this forum of the OZs on an RS6, I have not been able to confirm size. However, just seeing the photo gives me some hope.

I'll post the results of the trial fitment when I get the wheel from Michael at Pure Motorsport (www.purems.com; 909-302-0933; info@pure-motorsport.com).

GoFastKindaGuy
    '18 McLaren 720S, '18 Audi R8 V10 Plus, '18 Porsche Turismo Sport Turbo, '12 Cayenne Turbo, '04 Carrera GT

Since my original post I've discovered that some of the semi-custom manufacturers (e.g. Kinesis) can fit them, but at a price (e.g. $1000+/wheel). GoFast, if the OZ's fit could you ask if they think the OZ Galileo will clear? Tire Rack has confirmed that the Dunlop M3 and Bridgestone LM22 will fit the stock rim in a 225 45 18, and they have the M3 in the 255 40 18. Obviously narrower is better as far as snow traction is concerned. The guy I talked to the second time knew his stuff, he checked the car out when one was in for fitment. FYI his name is Neal at extension 624. He also mentioned that they had an AT Italia wheel that would fit but it is backordered.