View Poll Results: How did you find out about your TC failure?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sudden Failure, no warning.

1 7.69%
  • Just happened to scan with VAG-COM and found message

3 23.08%
  • Felt a change and scanned, found code

6 46.15%
  • CEL came one, investigated, found code

3 23.08%

Thread: How did you find out about your TC problem?

How did you find out about your TC problem?

Of those whose torque converter failed, did you CEL light show first?

None of the above.. I noticed that when slowing down, the tranny would dowshift into 2nd with proper tranny drag then it would go into neutral and coast to a stop rather than having the gear continue to aid braking. It was this that led the SA to call the regional guy who test drove it and pronounced it history.
    This was also accompanied by slipping clutch like symptome every time I lifted off the gas pedal and reapplied gas.

Mine just happened out of the blue at a track event. I was coming out of a curve and rolled into the throttle. All of sudden there was no power and the shifting was history. A CEL lit up and had hard shifts until it got into 5th gear. At the time I had 115K- thus I wasn't too surprised that the tranny said "no more!". It was a fun 7 hour drive home but luckily I had pretty wide open roads.
    210K miles rolled

I noticed that the TC clutch was unlocking on gentle uphill sections of road while running in 5th, where normally it would remain locked. Also would unlock on slightly steeper sections rather than change down immediately. TC would slip much more before getting a downshift. Checked with VAG-COM and it threw the 17125 code. No CEL.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Mine just happened out of the blue at a track event. I was coming out of a curve and rolled into the throttle. All of sudden there was no power and the shifting was history. A CEL lit up and had hard shifts until it got into 5th gear. At the time I had 115K- thus I wasn't too surprised that the tranny said "no more!". It was a fun 7 hour drive home but luckily I had pretty wide open roads.
    Any tranny damage after that 7 hour drive??

CEL came on. Took it to Amy at Audi in Carlsbad, who informed me of the failed TC

I took my car into dealer for service today. The plan was to have the mechanic change the transmission fluid to first be certain it was not low on fluid (one case of that error code) and to see the condition of the fluid (another cause of that code).

When I arrived the service rep told me there was a service bulletin on the TC issue and said that if that code has been thrown (even without the CEL lighting) that the only way to get rid of it was to replace the TC. Unfortunately he is doubtful that the warranty company will pay for the TC replacement unless it has "Failed."

He insisted that the failing TC with this particular code will NOT damage the transmission and there is no miles/distance/drive condition in which this could happen.?!?!?!?

The mechanic is going to look at the car tomorrow (after it cools down over night) and see what he can find, since the transmission service requires a cool transmission to properly change the fluid!?! WTF if they were not going to recommend changing the fluid I could have saved a day, had them scan the car to confirm the code???

I smell a DRC like coverup!

Oh well, the good news was that my car is worth less than my current loan ballance. no wait that's BAD NEWS LOL...

I did find a potential worthy replacement for my RS6...BMW 2011 550 GT AWD....has the rear seat room I need and a spot for the DOG!!!! has 7 series frame so it's longer than the 550 sedan with much more rear seat room. Twin Turbo, 400 hp, 450 torque 8 speed auto AWD etc...

Mike

TRAITOR! j/k

Seriously, have read (R&T, others) that the steering feel of the new 5 series is very substandard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    I did find a potential worthy replacement for my RS6...BMW 2011 550 GT AWD....has the rear seat room I need and a spot for the DOG!!!! has 7 series frame so it's longer than the 550 sedan with much more rear seat room. Twin Turbo, 400 hp, 450 torque 8 speed auto AWD etc...

Mike
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I agree. Very smooshy at the center. But predictable I'd like to test drive one for an hour.

IMHO the ext war company has no choice IF your service advisor presents the problem properly.

Complaint: The transmission seems to slip and clunk at hwy speeds.
    Diag: Found trouble code fault and Audi service bulletin to fix problem.

Plan: Replace TC per Audi bulletin.

No wiggle room if presented properly. Just like a claim to Medicare if you have the right diagnosis code and procedure. Paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    I took my car into dealer for service today. The plan was to have the mechanic change the transmission fluid to first be certain it was not low on fluid (one case of that error code) and to see the condition of the fluid (another cause of that code).

When I arrived the service rep told me there was a service bulletin on the TC issue and said that if that code has been thrown (even without the CEL lighting) that the only way to get rid of it was to replace the TC. Unfortunately he is doubtful that the warranty company will pay for the TC replacement unless it has "Failed."

He insisted that the failing TC with this particular code will NOT damage the transmission and there is no miles/distance/drive condition in which this could happen.?!?!?!?

The mechanic is going to look at the car tomorrow (after it cools down over night) and see what he can find, since the transmission service requires a cool transmission to properly change the fluid!?! WTF if they were not going to recommend changing the fluid I could have saved a day, had them scan the car to confirm the code???

I smell a DRC like coverup!

Oh well, the good news was that my car is worth less than my current loan ballance. no wait that's BAD NEWS LOL...

Mike

And speaking of test drives. I was down in Tucson today and stopped in the Audi dealer. They had a nice inventory and most all the models were spec with sport suspension and wheels. Guess what? They had a A6 avant 3.0t. I drove it and just plain rocks. The thing is a little rocket ship and looks just like a baby RS6 with the 19in wheel tire package.

Thinking about it real hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    And speaking of test drives. I was down in Tucson today and stopped in the Audi dealer. They had a nice inventory and most all the models were spec with sport suspension and wheels. Guess what? They had a A6 avant 3.0t. I drove it and just plain rocks. The thing is a little rocket ship and looks just like a baby RS6 with the 19in wheel tire package.

Thinking about it real hard.
    Jump on that thing before it disappears! That's a rare model here in N.A.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

The A6 avant with sport package is a fantastic looking vehicle in person.

There are 6 in the entire country. WTF is AoA thinking? The entire marketing staff at AoA should be fired. The car rocks and drives fantastic.

No Gray A6 avants with sport package in the entire country.

This is not rocket science people.

Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Jump on that thing before it disappears! That's a rare model here in N.A.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    The A6 avant with sport package is a fantastic looking vehicle in person.

There are 6 in the entire country. WTF is AoA thinking? The entire marketing staff at AoA should be fired. The car rocks and drives fantastic.

No Gray A6 avants with sport package in the entire country.

This is not rocket science people.

Idiots
    What color did they have in stock?
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Are we getting a new A6 next year or the year after?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

2011 A6 is the same.

I could have ordered the carbon fiber trim this year but its too late and its not offered in 2011.

You cant fix stupid. AoA

Tucson Audi has a Black/black A6 avant with the 19in sport package wheels/255-35-19 summer tires. It looks fantastic but I could never own a black vehicle. I think its the only black/black/19in sport package unit in the entire country. I hate the black and the stupid wood grain trim on the inside but the car looks and drives fantastic..

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Are we getting a new A6 next year or the year after?
    Last edited by DHall1; August 12th, 2010 at 05:38.