Thread: Finally got my hands on a VAG COM.. decided to do some logs

Hybrid View

Finally got my hands on a VAG COM.. decided to do some logs

My car, for the most part, has given me little trouble. Sometimes, power seems low (when its hot), and other times, within minutes, it feels faster. She runs very smooth, and power is quite peaky. It seems to kick in most above 5500 RPM. Sometimes I can feel a slight lag in boost.. other times its quite immediate.

Was having intermitten AC issues, of course no fault codes for that. The only ones I had at all were for:

01561 - left rear door -
    59-10 cant unlock intermitten

01531 - Emergency Battery
    002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

Seems like nothing big. I had to experiment with log groups since I dont know whats best to log for checking boost/trans. Looks like actual/requested boost is almost nearly right on in all cases. the midrange power boost request was at 1550 mBar most of the time, and tapered off to 1500 at redline.

Ignition Timing seemed to move around a bit, between 9 to 18 and back to 7, looking at the curve. it dropped it when engine load exceeded 100%.. it went to 122% over 3000 RPM.. There was no Torque Reduction except at shift. Intake temps were 57C at cruise, and dripped to about 50C when under WOT (strange?)

Let me know if the engine load or timing is off..

Sorry I still cant fig out how to make a decent readable graph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 graph1..jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	10080  
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Looks good for 125 degrees F intake air temps. Whats your ambient temp right now? I've never seen my IAT's over 110F.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Ambient is 78, but the stupid dash says 92-102..
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Ambient is 78, but the stupid dash says 92-102..
    The ambient temp sensor has nothing to do with performance. The ecu builds it's timing maps and requested boost off of intake air temps, among other things, and in that log, you had that thing "warmed up"!
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Yea, was sitting in sun engine on testing AC as well just before

and ambient was prob more around 85.
    Last edited by Brav; July 14th, 2010 at 03:05.

It seems that power feels low whenever Ignition Timing is pulled.. What causes that to happen most commonly? knock/IAT?

Some examples (load% and timing have inverse relationship)