Thread: Brake pads / tires replacement?

Brake pads / tires replacement?

Hi!

Have anybody replaced your brake pads because of wear?
    What was the mileage? style of driving and so on?
    I'm curious how frequently one needs to change brake pads & tires with this beast ( ), while I'm still waiting for mine.

thanks all!
    Peace All

Marcin
    RS6 Avant Daytona Grey - MTM stage 2 - 508HP/700Nm

I would expect at least 20K miles from the brake pads, even with VERY hard driving. I would expect 30-35 with normal driving.

I expect 8-10K miles from my tires- If I get more, i'm driving to conservatively.

----
    Jordan Conley
    03 RS6
    01 TT Roadster
    95 A6Q 2.8
    [IMG]http://www.rs6.com/gfx/racing/001a.jpg[/IMG]

Marcin, where you live and with the cost of speeding tickets in area (I'm in Prague so first hand experience....) the life span on tires will be much shorter.

One not-to-be-named member of the list living in Germany experience was 5000 km out of first set of brakes on his RS6.

If driving in Germany, then the stock brakes last about as long as four fuel stops! No joke!
    My first rotors were finished afer less than 1000 not very fast kilometers (i think it was just 3 stops that did it).
    You can destroy the standard pads in two quick stops.
    These cars are big and heavy. Even with 380mm GT1 long distance racing rotors, you get 4000 km between having the rotors remachined and life expectancy is 8000km tops.
    Given that very few RS6 drivers (outside of Germany) will be consistantly stopping from 300kph plus, the stock brakes will probably hold up for a month or two.

R+C

Robin, would the 380 front disc setup from MTM do for non-german conditions? Or Movit is the only way at the moment?

I managed to destroy my front pads and crack the discs after about 11000 to 12000 miles. I think one day playing on the back roads with an A8 4.2 in the blazing sun (25C+) finished them off...
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Originally posted by gjg
    Robin, would the 380 front disc setup from MTM do for non-german conditions? Or Movit is the only way at the moment?
    George
    MTM's front rotors have an even shorter life expectancy than the GT1 rotors (from Mov'it). The problem is that the total rotor mass is insufficient to store the heat energy from stopping. If you think of a rotor as a 'doughnut', then the hole in the centre is too large.
    However, I do happen to know that G and R (you know the two people I mean), are working together on some new rotors that G has designed which should stand up to the abuse dished out by the RS6, Bentley Continental GT, Cayenne Turbo etc.

Robin

It will be really interesting to see how the Bentley Continental GT brakes will survive, with all the claims they're the biggest and greatest in the world. My guess they're no better than the others, regardless of the Bentley logo on the calipers.

I've seen Cayenne brakes catch fire on TV. :bigeyes:
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail