Thread: Clicking behind dash on B7 RS4?

Clicking behind dash on B7 RS4?

Hi guys,

Minor niggle coming from the RS. I'm getting a clicking noise from behind the dash board, occurs every couple of minutes. Just one click and then stops until then next click about 2mins later. Sounds like a relay of sorts to me...but was wondering if anyone has any other ideas?

Spoke to an Audi mechanic the other day and he suggested it could be one of the AC motors, but i get the noise even when the AC is turned off.

All advice welcome,

Cheers

Taran
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Can't quite help you, sorry - but I can say that my '06 A4 too has developed annoying dash rattles over the past six months. One comes from what sounds like a few inches behind the dash's left-side AC vent, the other from the center AC vent at the back of the dash. They are only present over rough or broken pavement, but they are getting worse. Not a good sign to hear this from another B7 owner.

Well, by hook or crook, I think the problem has been sorted!

I was attempting to figure out what the problem was with the car sitting in my garage. finally gave up, but i in advertently flicked the light switch from Auto to Dipped. Came back to the car in the morning with the battery totally flat. Jumped started the car...and the clicking has gone!!

Makes me think it was a relay problem of sorts and the surge in current may have fixed it?!

On another note, does the Audio MMI//Nav unit not have a security code? When the battery went flat i was expecting to have to input a security code but the unit just worked as normal.

Cheers

Taran
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver