Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyno Day

Hybrid View

Dyno Day

Well, after some anticipation we have some # for everyone.

First here is my dyno run. Stock except fluids and MTM TCU chip:

Numbers were 377 hp and about 360 lbs. Tq. Dyno sheets won't be here for a couple days.

Here is Pats, video tells the story.

Last edited by 4everRS; June 5th, 2010 at 22:50. Reason: Video issues
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

3 things: Kyle's car is a very healthy stock RS6. The specified and actual boost were spot on, and it posted excellent numbers.
    I had no idea that my Eurocharged tune made this much power. That's 528 ft/lbs at the wheels....Holy smokes. How could you buy anything else? Is it worth it to buy the revo so you can screw around with some knobs? Or the APR so you can yank at your blinker stalk? I'm sold.
    The third thing: On the second run for both Kyle and myself, we lost about 20-30 hp due to heat soak. By simply misting the intercoolers with a simple pump spray bottle of water before the third pull, we each gained 25-30 hp over the second run.
    Last edited by V8weight; June 5th, 2010 at 23:05.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Some people like knob jobs and 3000 dollar reflashes that dont make power. Some people like junk stock intercoolers that leak like the BP oil well.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    3 things: Kyle's car is a very healthy stock RS6. The specified and actual boost were spot on, and it posted excellent numbers.
    I had no idea that my Eurocharged tune made this much power. That's 528 ft/lbs at the wheels....Holy smokes. How could you buy anything else? Is it worth it to buy the revo so you can screw around with some knobs? Or the APR so you can yank at your blinker stalk? I'm sold.
    The third thing: On the second run for both Kyle and myself, we lost about 20-30 hp due to heat soak. By simply misting the intercoolers with a simple pump spray bottle of water before the third pull, we each gained 25-30 hp over the second run.

The video shows 524 ft lbs. This was his first run. As Pat mentioned, we lost some hp on the second run. Then after spraying the IC's with water, The power came back. His last run was 528 ft lbs. If anyone is wondering that is equivalent to 660 at the crank assuming a 20% loss !!!!
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    The video shows 524 ft lbs. This was his first run. As Pat mentioned, we lost some hp on the second run. Then after spraying the IC's with water, The power came back. His last run was 528 ft lbs. If anyone is wondering that is equivalent to 660 at the crank assuming a 20% loss !!!!

I think these cars are closer to +25% driveline loss, if not higher...What do these cars make "stock"? 300-320 awhp depending on dyno? At 450crank hp thats 320/450=.71111. That's 29% there?

Mine came in at 377hp stock at the wheels. So at 450 hp crank, this would be a 16% loss. IMHO I do not think this is accurate. There should be more drivetrain loss. Guessing is all we can do as far as what the drivetrain loss really is.

A different Dyno? Maybe.

But do we really know if Audi "underrated" the power a bit. Could be.

Plus, using 25% means that Pat is closer to 700 ft/lbs.
    "I think these cars are closer to +25% driveline loss"

Nevertheless, the Eurcharged tune Pat has is incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I think these cars are closer to +25% driveline loss, if not higher...What do these cars make "stock"? 300-320 awhp depending on dyno? At 450crank hp thats 320/450=.71111. That's 29% there?

Interesting information, thank you for sharing!

FWIW: Mustang tells us to allow for 28% driveline loss in Quattro, Automatic Audi pulls.

Steve
    "You have first to experience what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

Every dyno has different traits. Word on the street is Dynojet reads higher than Mustang. That is fine.

The solid data speaks for itself. The stock car in excellent tune put down a number. The modified car in excellent tune put down a bigger number. The combination of the two plus the VagCom data logs with each car on the dyno is the whipped cream on top. Now we can look over the logs and determine where and how the extra power was made.

Its too bad JRS could not make to the dyno because his car has a different upgrade path and should have been a good comparison to the other two cars. And the Wagner intercoolers could have been tested out to determine efficiency with VagCom data logs on IATemps.

Next time.

Quote Originally Posted by SAFE4NOW View Post
    Interesting information, thank you for sharing!

FWIW: Mustang tells us to allow for 28% driveline loss in Quattro, Automatic Audi pulls.

Steve
    Yes. All the RS6's I've seen dyno'd were on a Mustang and have been between 300-330awhp.

So,

250 page views and not a peep about the intercooler spray bar idea?

30awhp increase from just spraying some water on the outside of the intercoolers?

30 wheel hp from a squirt of water?

how much is that exactly per hp gain?

I guess bling is more important.

bling, bling, bling, bling and bling. Got to get me more bling.

Really the drivetrains have only about 18 to 20% loss. Believe it or not they are pretty efficient. I have never seen one Dynoed with less than 22% loss and that was totally stock with heavy chrome 20" wheels (stupid) and about 96 degrees ambient temp. 03 RS6 450, RS6+ 480....
    Last edited by SIKAudi; June 6th, 2010 at 10:25. Reason: Typo

Yeap most AWD systems lose 30% of their crankcase HP. This is why Im keeping the build on my R32 swap FWD. Their is usually 10-12% loss on FWD trains. Of course Im going with the 6 speed O2M trans though.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Yeap most AWD systems lose 30% of their crankcase HP. This is why Im keeping the build on my R32 swap FWD. Their is usually 10-12% loss on FWD trains. Of course Im going with the 6 speed O2M trans though.
    I think we could get that number down a bit, i.e. transmission mounts, stabilizer bar, rear diff bushings...same thing i did with my S4, with the addition of motor mounts and snub mount. all autospeed competition urethane. Of course ALL those mounts do transmit alot of engine and gear noise...maybe we could just do the rear bushing and stabilizer bar...
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

?? I have never heard of these items being important when figureing drivetrain loss ??
    Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I think we could get that number down a bit, i.e. transmission mounts, stabilizer bar, rear diff bushings...same thing i did with my S4, with the addition of motor mounts and snub mount. all autospeed competition urethane. Of course ALL those mounts do transmit alot of engine and gear noise...maybe we could just do the rear bushing and stabilizer bar...

Ok so let's review Pat's UPGRADES:

Eurocharged ECU tune
    MTM TCU tune
    007 Diverter Valves
    Stock OEM Filter Assembly
    Stock OEM turbos
    BND trans fluid
    BND engine oil

Anything else I missed??
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Ok so let's review Pat's UPGRADES:

Eurocharged ECU tune
    MTM TCU tune
    007 Diverter Valves
    Stock OEM Filter Assembly
    Stock OEM turbos
    BND trans fluid
    BND engine oil

Anything else I missed??
    Other than the Eisenmann exhaust, that's it for engine mods.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Other than the Eisenmann exhaust, that's it for engine mods.
    Not being a jerk but, does that help?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Not being a jerk but, does that help?
    Nope, not one bit. It's all in the tune.