Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyno Day

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    TT, I am guessing you are referring to the water/meth injection, as the ic mister is simply relieving the ic's of heat soak. The snow performance kits do have failsafes though. And from what ive read, it is the equivalent to running 100octane, only cleaner. so you will need a retune for 100octane
    I spaced. Was stuck on the injectiona, forgot we were talking about spraying outside.

lol, its cool. it happens to the best of us...and duck-foot-rats! LMAO
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Is there a way to measure the quantity/pattern of misting that you had, PAT?

Reading about the Aquamist module(s), there seems to be one that has a "safety".
    There were several nozzles with various MM in diameter for different flow levels.

Where would Dave's nozzles go?
    At the fog light grill?
    At the IC shroud?
    Directly on the IC?

How can we measure the temp diff between non-sprayed IC temps and sprayed IC temps?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Is there a way to measure the quantity/pattern of misting that you had, PAT?

Reading about the Aquamist module(s), there seems to be one that has a "safety".
    There were several nozzles with various MM in diameter for different flow levels.

Where would Dave's nozzles go?
    At the fog light grill?
    At the IC shroud?
    Directly on the IC?

How can we measure the temp diff between non-sprayed IC temps and sprayed IC temps?
    The differences can be logged on the VAG-COM block 102 (intake air temperature). The snow performance kits are for actual methanol injection into the intake. We're talking about a simple nozzle pointed at the intercooler. There was nothing scientific about what they did at the dyno run. They literally just sprayed the intercoolers with a pump spray bottle of water. I wasn't watching myself as I was in the cars data logging, but maybe Kyle can elaborate.
    Edti: I should also elaborate on the fact that they weren't spraying the intercoolers during the actual dyno run, they just sprayed them down before hand.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    The differences can be logged on the VAG-COM block 102 (intake air temperature). The snow performance kits are for actual methanol injection into the intake. We're talking about a simple nozzle pointed at the intercooler. There was nothing scientific about what they did at the dyno run. They literally just sprayed the intercoolers with a pump spray bottle of water. I wasn't watching myself as I was in the cars data logging, but maybe Kyle can elaborate.
    Edti: I should also elaborate on the fact that they weren't spraying the intercoolers during the actual dyno run, they just sprayed them down before hand.
    did you log block 102?

a stage two of this could be to monitor the intake air temp and have a temp gauge on the dash...

edit: THIS thread and the results are very promising!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

did you log block 102?

a stage two of this could be to monitor the intake air temp and have a temp gauge on the dash...

Unfortunately, you can only log 3 measuring blocks at a time on the vag. I was most concerned with MAF g/s, timing advance, and specified vs. actual boost (blocks 002, 003, 115) at the time of the dyno runs.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

did you log block 102?

Your right, it would be cool to have an IAT gauge to monitor IAT temps. Dave: cue up the stage II kit....

Thanks Pat :-) I was talking about injection there for a sec with tt, as the aquamist is as well. Now that we are all on the same page ;-). Why not just do two separate tests? Both tests having the same starting values, i.e. ic temp, oil temp, basically the car warmed up, but not heated(yet...). Log 102, 002, 003, then once the beast is ready again, log 002, 003, 115.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I think these cars are closer to +25% driveline loss, if not higher...What do these cars make "stock"? 300-320 awhp depending on dyno? At 450crank hp thats 320/450=.71111. That's 29% there?
    Yeap most AWD systems lose 30% of their crankcase HP. This is why Im keeping the build on my R32 swap FWD. Their is usually 10-12% loss on FWD trains. Of course Im going with the 6 speed O2M trans though.

Thanks Pat :-) I was talking about injection there for a sec with tt, as the aquamist is as well. Now that we are all on the same page ;-). Why not just do two separate tests? Both tests having the same starting values, i.e. ic temp, oil temp, basically the car warmed up, but not heated(yet...). Log 102, 002, 003, then once the beast is ready again, log 002, 003, 115.
    That's definitely doable, just not when the car is sitting on a dyno and there is a line of people waiting for their turn. I would say to just go out and log the benefits of spraying the intercoolers, blocks 003, 102, and 115 would be ideal. You would want to see the fluctuations in IAT's, timing advance, and boost, whereas the MAF g/s wouldn't be all that important.

Hi all,
    Thought I would jump in on this one. I haven't been around for a while, not even lurking. Off buying another dental practice since the market has been going to $h*t.
    As I referred to in the sportec mod, I've been running this misting system for years on my 86 5000cstq courtesy of home depot. (or an RV radiator misting system, pre made.)
    Whats needed is an extra wiper reservoir with pump, gives it that OEM look, a patio misting system and a momentary switch. The switch is easy to place OEM in the 5000 dash, lots of dead switch spots.
    Now the KEY for me was to place two misting heads in front of the radiator and one in front of my single IC.
    When the car starts running hot after some spirited driving, up to the legally posted speed limit of course!
    Hit the button for about 3-5 seconds, any longer and your watering the street and wasting your limited essence of life.
    Within 30 seconds watch your engine temp drop one whole marking on the temp gage.
    Your butt dyno and wallet dyno(less chance of damaging your engine) notices.
    Just my .02 or at home depot about $15.00
    You can see in the pictures after car was rear ended and sent into a tow truck,the hose and jet in front of the IC. Don't worry 2 years later and many more thousands the car was restored. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	124_2429..jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	9898 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	124_2430..jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	9896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1013..jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	9897

Yup , watched them do it. Not scientific. They just took the nozzle and stuck it in the foglamp grill and started spraying. Saw them do it to a '09 WRX with the stock top mount IC (terrible design) as well, and it was pretty cool to watch it steam as it went on the next run.
    Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Yeap most AWD systems lose 30% of their crankcase HP. This is why Im keeping the build on my R32 swap FWD. Their is usually 10-12% loss on FWD trains. Of course Im going with the 6 speed O2M trans though.
    I think we could get that number down a bit, i.e. transmission mounts, stabilizer bar, rear diff bushings...same thing i did with my S4, with the addition of motor mounts and snub mount. all autospeed competition urethane. Of course ALL those mounts do transmit alot of engine and gear noise...maybe we could just do the rear bushing and stabilizer bar...

?? I have never heard of these items being important when figureing drivetrain loss ??
    I think we could get that number down a bit, i.e. transmission mounts, stabilizer bar, rear diff bushings...same thing i did with my S4, with the addition of motor mounts and snub mount. all autospeed competition urethane. Of course ALL those mounts do transmit alot of engine and gear noise...maybe we could just do the rear bushing and stabilizer bar...
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Most definitely. Any point along the path of the drivetrain where there is movement, i.e. mechanical vibration, there is loss back into the chassis. Therefore not to the ground. Actually, i have been curious whether the tranny mounts in my S4 will match up in the beast. They look the same....

The graphs are in.

Without further adieu:

Gobs of torque by 3500 rpm....

And here's Kyle's:
    Last edited by V8weight; June 8th, 2010 at 21:59.

650+ lb/feet at the crank... good golly miss molly. How long do you think the TC will last at that clip?

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    650+ lb/feet at the crank... good golly miss molly. How long do you think the TC will last at that clip?
    Not sure, but rest assured when it goes this will be the first place I go to belly ache about it.