Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler refurbishment and replacement pictures

Intercooler refurbishment and replacement pictures

Thought I would share some pictures of my recent intercooler replacement. I changed the originals (both leaking) with a spare pair that I refurbished. I fixed up the spares with JB Weld (the pictures should explain the process) then pressure tested them to 30psi. I immersed the fixed spares in a water bath to check for leaks and kept the 30psi in each intercooler for about 15 minutes before concluding the repair was successful. I chose 30psi as my car runs approx 22psi with the MTM568 conversion, and this seemed a sensible margin over the max expected pressure.

Test equipment fitted to fully cleaned and degreased used intercooler.

Blue pen marks area where leaks found, notice that I pushed up the aluminium fins to allow the JB Weld to get all the way around the leaking areas.

JB Weld! TIP: Use a hairdryer or heat gun to make the mixed compound more ‘liquid’ – that way it fills all gaps much quicker!

1 end filled, just got 3 more to do. Each end takes almost a complete JB Weld kit.

Both coolers reconditioned and sprayed silver.

Pressurised to 30psi and immersed in water – no leaks or pressure loss after 15 minutes

The car is on the lift, starting to remove some parts! All 4 wheels are off because I was doing some other work at the same time as the cooler swap.

With the wheel arch lining removed you get a good view of the inside of the old coolers – there were oil stains on both sides, the drivers side more than the passenger side.

This is passenger side. As expected neither cooler would hold pressure after removal and testing.

Bumper removal.

All of this has to come off! It has to be noted though that this is a very simple job, however having a car lift helps immensely.

Passenger side ready for replacing

Drivers side ready for replacing

Everything off, brakes stripped as well as I was going to paint the callipers a brighter colour.

Yellow calipers

Refurbished coolers fitted

Refurbished coolers fitted

All ducting re-fitted

All ducting re-fitted

View from underneath, ready to refit lights, bumper, wheel-arch linings, under-tray etc

Finished – VERY noticeable improvement in performance from car... I always thought the car was fast but after this repair the performance gain astounded me!!!

Nice write up and great pics. What type of paint did you use for the IC's?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    Nice write up and great pics. What type of paint did you use for the IC's?
    Just regular alloy wheel spray can paint with a grey primer and clearcote on top, 2 coats of each

OK, but wouldn't that reduce the air to air transfer cooling due to the "thicker" layer of paint?
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    OK, but wouldn't that reduce the air to air transfer cooling due to the "thicker" layer of paint?
    To be honest I did not think about that! I would be surprised if it made a great deal of difference, and was really thinking about aesthetics more than anything else when I chose to paint them.

Well they look new so you achieved your goal

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    -------

Nice job and thank you for the pics. That is how you work on a RS6. Perfect work environment.

I like the tire valve stem to introduce the air. How did you seal it to the cone? Wrap the tube around the inlet and then pop the cone over it?

Oh yeah, I guess when MTM builds their C5 RS6 575hp beasts they leave the stock Audi intercoolers on. Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I like the tire valve stem to introduce the air. How did you seal it to the cone? Wrap the tube around the inlet and then pop the cone over it?
    Yep, exactly like that. I also wrapped a couple of layers of insulating tape around the other end before fitting the cap to ensure a good seal. 30psi is actually quite a lot of air to seal in!!!

I thought so.

Very good solution. I will save that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by skyegtb View Post
    Yep, exactly like that. I also wrapped a couple of layers of insulating tape around the other end before fitting the cap to ensure a good seal. 30psi is actually quite a lot of air to seal in!!!

Oh BTW,

Next time you have your bumper off. I have been working on a intercooler spray bar idea. I want to use the existing headlight washer pump and lines to reroute a spray bar in front of the stock intercoolers. That way we can use the washer fluid, pump and lines that run up to the front bumper already. Then just reroute the spray nozzle in the ducting for each intercooler.

Bingo instant intercooler spray nozzles.

Oh BTW,

Next time you have your bumper off. I have been working on a intercooler spray bar idea. I want to use the existing headlight washer pump and lines to reroute a spray bar in front of the stock intercoolers. That way we can use the washer fluid, pump and lines that run up to the front bumper already. Then just reroute the spray nozzle in the ducting for each intercooler.

Bingo instant intercooler spray nozzles.
    Very interesting idea. I will keep an eye out for updates on this one.

Thumbs up

Nicely played. Beautiful car, thanks for sharing.

For those who like to refurb aluminum parts... aluminized silver paint (can be purchased cheap at your local hardware store.) I just brush it on and it seems to completely bond with aluminum parts, right over the top of oxidization -- it's very thin and evens itself out. it's lasted through three winters on a set of brake calipers with no sign of wear.

While I'm not an engineer, I would think its metal content would be a bonus for not lowering the thermal efficiency of an intercooler.

When you said the drivers side was leaking worse I thought you were upsetting my statistics that the right side always leaked first then I realized you were right hand drive and I had to smile. Maybe the moron welding up the right side intercooler had some serious issues going on?
    DHall1, MTM now offers the Wagners as an option if you want their complete C5 package which they still offer, I would imagine that when they first started modifying C5 RS6's there weren't any aftermarket options and not worth it enough for them to go through a design and manufacturing process for them. But the issue obviously isn't just improved perfomance, it is leaks, and when MTM started all of this on the C5's intercooler leaks weren't a known problem.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Great write-up/pics - FedEx has a new OEM pass side IC in truck for me. Ref your comment that it is a very simple job, can you guide me as to what tools are required? I don't have a shop - just a toolbox! Will buy what is needed. Thanks
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Yes, those are fair points.

I would like to see data logs pre/post on any Wagner equipped car. IAT temps and g/sec maf data. If these make more power and run cooler intake temps then the numbers will not lie. Nobody seems to have come up with any.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    When you said the drivers side was leaking worse I thought you were upsetting my statistics that the right side always leaked first then I realized you were right hand drive and I had to smile. Maybe the moron welding up the right side intercooler had some serious issues going on?
    DHall1, MTM now offers the Wagners as an option if you want their complete C5 package which they still offer, I would imagine that when they first started modifying C5 RS6's there weren't any aftermarket options and not worth it enough for them to go through a design and manufacturing process for them. But the issue obviously isn't just improved perfomance, it is leaks, and when MTM started all of this on the C5's intercooler leaks weren't a known problem.
    Last edited by DHall1; May 24th, 2010 at 20:23.

Me Too.

What's the process for removing the bumper? Is the cover still attached to the metal bumper? or did you skip a photo? How many screws/bolts?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    Great write-up/pics - FedEx has a new OEM pass side IC in truck for me. Ref your comment that it is a very simple job, can you guide me as to what tools are required? I don't have a shop - just a toolbox! Will buy what is needed. Thanks

Yes, those are fair points.

I would like to see data logs pre/post on any Wagner equipped car. IAT temps. Nobody seems to have come up with any.
    Apikol, too...

6 nuts
    2 bolts

once you have already removed the inner fender liners and under tray.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Me Too.

What's the process for removing the bumper? Is the cover still attached to the metal bumper? or did you skip a photo? How many screws/bolts?

Mike