Thread: Want to learn more about cars....

Want to learn more about cars....

I'm into cars. I just bought an rs6. I've had an s4, as well as several other audis. I can recite facts and talk with the best of them, but i really don't know that much about the mechanics. I want to learn more about how everything (engine, gearing, etc..) works and maybe one day do some work on cars myself.

Any good comprehensive books? Places to start? advice?

Take a weekend vacation to Minnesota.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Find a decent garage space if you don't have one. As a novice shade-tree mechanic I tore apart and rebuilt my GTI motor in '94 with a 100' extension cord running out the window of my apartment into the alley where I rented a $30/month garage stall. Car ran better than new when I was done.

Get a bare minimum set of Craftsman tools. Google everything you want to try to do 3x before you do it. Print the walkthroughs and take them with you to your car. Take the time to educate yourself, be methodical and meticulous.

The best teacher of ANYTHING you want to learn... is you.

Ha Ha. Pat could teach you a lot.

Pierson - it's good that you are wanting to learn about the mechanics. I would say to find someone that owns and knows old cars and become friends. Pat and I for example have old cars and it just so happens that we've both ripped apart motors and put them back together and they still work. I think most people who own a classic, find themself NEEDING to know the mechanics of it to keep it running right. Basics first, like what happens in each of the 4 strokes, how compression ratios are calculated, camshaft duration and lift, degrees of timing, ect ect. Once the basics are understood, the rest becomes easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Take a weekend vacation to Minnesota.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I want to learn how to wrench on cars.

"what do you own?"

RS6.

"oh boy we are going to be here for a long time"

.05c...IMHO, go buy a blown up A4 and a service manual. Then practice on the A4.

i'm not working on my car...

I'm going to be taking auto shop classes at night at the local community college.

W>
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue - mods? Whatever Ben does....