Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS5 and M3 competition.

RS5 and M3 competition.

Like most on here I have been following all the videos and reviews of the RS5 as I keep considering buying something that we can use a little more than our C4s.
    I thought I would revisit the M3 and not being a fan of the Edition colours I had discounted the standard car due to the way it looks (Do not want to mod) when I came across the Competition option on the UK configerator, basically it includes the EDC, CSL type alloys and lowered by 10mm. It also includes a revised edc program that spices up certain things.
    It sounds like a really good option and could just keep the M3 ahead of the RS5 in driver involvement. They are reviewing it in Junes Evo so it could be an alternative to the RS5.
    Anyone know any more?

Before you make your choice, remember the winter you have behind you. Cheers
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Im in the UK so our winters, apart from the one just past are pretty lame compared to what you guys get. I would also, as I did with our X5, buy a spare set of rims with winters on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbersmill View Post
    ...I would also, as I did with our X5, buy a spare set of rims with winters on.
    The RS5 will still draw circles around a M3 with winter tires in snowy, or even wet conditions
    I am - besides other things - Audidriven
    blog.audidriven.net

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    or even wet conditions
    ...or moreso dry conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    roadrunner wrote>The RS5 will still draw circles around a M3 with winter tires in snowy, or even wet conditions.

Hmmm... I bet for any amount of money that RS5 wont draw circles around M3 on dry conditions.

...and I am big fan of new RS5 and do not consider to buy M3.

I very much doubt that anyone of us can answer this with any real insight at this stage - my thing with the RS5 is on and off/from real interest to lukewarm feelings even before I have driven it. However, if you come from a 911 - i.e. a real sports car, it might be of some use while you wait for real world input on the topic that Audi's own material says that the focal age group for the RS5 is 45-55 years of age and that the M3 has among other things "impressive handling characteristics" and "comfortable damper tuning" and "precise steering". I suppose these should be viewed in relation to the RS5 and what the engineers/marketers have aimed for. A doubt it will be a roomier 911.

"Only who thinks sincerely negatively, can be surprised positively." *Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    The RS5 will still draw circles around a M3 with winter tires in snowy, or even wet conditions
    I would hope so with 4wd!
    It certainly wont be a major selling point for me as in the UK snow is not a long term major problem.

The massive selling point about the RS5 will be how it copes on everyday roads. I cant imagine many people taking their RS5 to a track on a regular basis so for me the important thing will be the cars front end feel, grip and most importantly how it deals with our uk roads and how the Stronic box feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    I sure hope so, but have you read the review in the latest EVO (paper)?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Anyone could scan the EVO review ?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I sure hope so, but have you read the review in the latest EVO (paper)?
    Dear Erik,

i read through it- yes.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...on_review.html

I am confident that the RS 5 will be a good match...

Qisha

As I said previously its going to be all about how these two cars tackle everyday roads, I cant imagine people buying because one is better on a track although that may be just me. I know in my C4s that I have a GT car thats superb (except for space) and I know that I have a really fast cross country sporty car. With my previous RS4 it didnt really do cruser too well and as brilliant as the shocks were in absorbing (SS+) it was a tad too hard.
    With DCT, Stronic, EDC and drive select you really can have your cake and eat it, its just which one has more jam and cream on.

I was just reviewing M3 convertible vs S5 convertible.

BMW says 0-60 5.1 sec, Audi says 0-60 5.2 sec....

S5 has AWD

The RS5 must then CRUSH the M3???

Mike

M3 Convertible is a pig with its steel roof...

As said above the m3 cab has a complex steel folding roof and I assume some extra structual rigidity to stop flex when the roof is down where as the coupe has a carbon fibre roof panel.
    0-60 is not the holy grail either so dont get too hung up on the figures.

Yes I know but the other part of my comment I left off...too tired when I posted...

The fully loaded M3 Cab was $86,000, while the S5 Cab loaded was about $65,000. For that difference you can upgrade the S5 engine significantly and have money left for a vacation trip.