Thread: RS6 C5 Problem

RS6 C5 Problem

Hi guys

Today when I drove my car (RS6 c5) from the garage I saw an oil stain on the ground.

So I took the car and drove to the nearest car lift and lifted the car.

Then I saw that there was oil around the marked area on the image. What can it be? a gasket maybe? gearbox?

Because the car goes as usual and change gears as usual.

Regards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6..jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	9670

Transmission output shaft seal. Maintenance item. Easy to change out by removing drive shaft, pulling out old worn out seal, pressing in new seal, and then bolting drive shaft back in. Most mechanically inclined people could do this at home with the car blocked and on stands.

Tim
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I think TOZOM8 had a DIY write up on this exact part/failure...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thank you very much Tim

Now I can sleep good tonight

Regards

Hi Ben

do u have some direct link to it?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by MaxximuS4 View Post
    Hi Ben

do u have some direct link to it?

Regards
    OK, I apologize for not being specific BUT it is for an A8... Not sure if it will help but here it is:
    http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...placement.html
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Transmission output shaft seal. Maintenance item. Easy to change out by removing drive shaft, pulling out old worn out seal, pressing in new seal, and then bolting drive shaft back in. Most mechanically inclined people could do this at home with the car blocked and on stands.

Tim
    But is it safe and run with it a few mil? because I need the car this weekend but maybe I should let it be at home until I've fixed this.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxximuS4 View Post
    But is it safe and run with it a few mil? because I need the car this weekend but maybe I should let it be at home until I've fixed this.
    Lots of parts leak for miles/months on vehicles. This is a seal - not a bearing. The bearing maintains the stability of the output shaft while this keeps the oil inside the crankcase. You should not stress over a bit of oil coming from this area. If you are leaving a "puddle" the size of a dinner plate or more each time you stop, I would then digress from driving it until the repair is complete as you don't want to run your transmission low on fluid and risk burning out the clutch disks.

Tim
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I just did this repair last month using that link. Straightforward. Here's my link with additional pics. Good Luck.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...d=1#post188908