Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RS6 as a daily driver.....?

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I hope to have an RS6 by the summer. I just moved to Fairfield County. Oh... and I know a place that has a W12 if you need the bigger car and still want some umphh...

The silver W12 is on deposit....a black one might be coming in tho soon...
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Ok so, just picked up my car from the shop down the street. I brought him the EBC's I got for 177 shipped from the parts bin. I told him to grind off the paint where the pin is and check the rotors for thickness and see if he can re-surface. Rotors are a little over 30mm so he didn't surface them(min is 32mm). Pads installed for $118. So full brake PAD replacement for $295 all in. Now we'll see how long I can go with these discs. I am hopeing that I will be able to make it until I need new pads again and do it all at once.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

just baught an rs6 from marc 10secs4 his daytona gray one, he sold his 210k rs6 already, i already own a stage 3 s4 cant wait to drive the rs6 around almost already loving it more

would you ever buy a car without actually seeing it in person?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-TU...ht_4417wt_1167

Looks like a good example. I bought mine without seeing it. I did a ton of research though. It was in OH. Bought it throught he PA manheim auction. This confused me at first, but they brought it to the PA auction as it is much larger. Anyways, I bought a car fax for something like 10 uses to check on other cars as well. THe carfax is much better and more detailed than that shitty autocheck I see on the ebay link. Autocheck history is very basic info like registration. The carfax will indicate actual serivce history. I called the dealer who serviced it and talked to a guy that knew the car. He even told me who the prior owner was (it was a 1 owner). I didn't even see a picture of it. Just knew the interior and exterior color. It was maintained meticuliously. Had it shipped to me in MN for $400 on a car hauler. Got it within a week. Very happy with it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by pierson View Post

Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Make sure this car is not the FL car with the busted TC

Nope,

I would not touch that car.

Just me but there is a tid bit of information in the vehicle history.

This is not your typical pristine so cal car.

The FL car is still in our minds....too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Looks like a good example. I bought mine without seeing it. I did a ton of research though. It was in OH. Bought it throught he PA manheim auction. This confused me at first, but they brought it to the PA auction as it is much larger. Anyways, I bought a car fax for something like 10 uses to check on other cars as well. THe carfax is much better and more detailed than that shitty autocheck I see on the ebay link. Autocheck history is very basic info like registration. The carfax will indicate actual serivce history. I called the dealer who serviced it and talked to a guy that knew the car. He even told me who the prior owner was (it was a 1 owner). I didn't even see a picture of it. Just knew the interior and exterior color. It was maintained meticuliously. Had it shipped to me in MN for $400 on a car hauler. Got it within a week. Very happy with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lowered97a4 View Post
    just baught an rs6 from marc 10secs4 his daytona gray one, he sold his 210k rs6 already, i already own a stage 3 s4 cant wait to drive the rs6 around almost already loving it more
    Are you kidding? You have a stage 3 S4 (like me) so you know who Marc is aka 10secs4 aka bigbluebeast aka king douchebag. I would NEVER buy a car from him. You know it's been beat to crap, been driven hard all the time, and maintained poorly. This is not a car you can ignore and hope it lasts. What a mistake.

Good luck!!!
    2003 RS 6
    2001.5 S4
    1990 200
    1990 Lotus Esprit SE
    2002 F4i Racecar

Smileys are to Car Forums like the Bubonic Plague was to Europe...

Uhhhh

Say what you really mean.

With the forum history that Marc guy has, I'm surprised anyone would even consider buying a car from him.

Oh well...
    2003 RS 6
    2001.5 S4
    1990 200
    1990 Lotus Esprit SE
    2002 F4i Racecar

Smileys are to Car Forums like the Bubonic Plague was to Europe...

I hear ya

Not everyone is aware of these things nor do they visit more then one forum.

Marc was ok on this forum but never really sold anyone anything.

Dont get me wrong. I raise the red flag without hesitation. Oh and get hammered for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazil View Post
    With the forum history that Marc guy has, I'm surprised anyone would even consider buying a car from him.

Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by pierson View Post

A car like this? I personally wouldn't. Far too many potentially hugely expensive problems...

Previously I thought I found a local low-mile RS6 that was perfect, after an inspect and drive, it was far from perfect: slipping TC, honking DV valve, a dozen different creaks and rattles, leaky valve covers, warped rotors, bent wheel, fucked (supposedly fixed) DRC etc, etc. Shudder to think of buying that car sight unseen. It was very pretty as a jpeg and had a clean carfax and a good story... but was one sloppy sled in person.

Re: 10secS4, Brazil once again fires a point-blank logic bullet. special smiley for you homey.

I think I missed something. What is wrong with that car? The ebay one Pierson put the link on. After looking through the carfax, it is pretty disapponting there isn't more detail. But what else is wrong with it? BYW, this is why this forum is so great. Some members, may know something about this car that is not evident on the surface.

Pierson - I would call the dealer who serviced the car. Be very nice to them and tell them how much you'd appreciate honest information. Ask about DRC, TC, excessive codes, ect. It is hard to find a one owner RS6 and will likely continue to be. If this car is as it looks (I know rarely thigs are) it should be a good car. Again, I may be wayyy off, as I know absolutely nothing about this vehicle besides reading the ebay page.

I've been daily driving my RS6 for about two months since I got it. I was commuting about 100 miles per day to work and easily 40 miles each day in the weekend. The only drawback is the gas mileage, which isn't the greatest for a commuter car. But if you can handle the cost of gas it's a great daily driver. It has everything and does everything I want. Excellent car.

As for Marc, I agree with Brazil on this. But it's largely irrelevant to the thread at hand.
    2003 RS6 Daytona/Ebony

I think I missed something. ....
    Some members, may know something about this car that is not evident on the surface.
    Yes, unfortunately, you are...

WITHOUT pointing fingers :
    There was a FL car that was purchased early last year, 2009, that had a bad TQ and the dealer sold it to a noobie member.
    The noobie member was driving home, that exact day of purchasing it, and the CEL comes on...
    Getting some answers from the forum, he returns the car to the dealer for a full refund.
    Well the first dealer sells it to another dealer without fixing and the second dealer puts it up for sale.
    A different forum member (not the noobie) has strong opinions about this type of behavior and flags the car on Carfax with a bad TQ.
    So some forum members believe that is not a non-owners responsibility to notify the general public nor the Audi dealerships of this hot potato ($6000-7000 job)
    Other forum members think that that is EXACTLY what this forum is about - to educate and collaborate with other owners, potential owners and ex-owners...

Needless to say, some are still stinging and/or will not comment on specifics of other vehicles.
    There are some forum members selling cars with a complete disclosed history and all mods.
    There are other mystery cars that are not forum members so when red flags (DRC/TQ/TRANS) come up or are discovered, well, it depends on who ya know.

I know of a FINE yellow RS6 that is for sale...
    If I was still without one, I would snap that one up in a second...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ok,

Here is the deal.

Look at where that car came from.

South Lake Tahoe.

If you know the area and if the car was driven in that area....it could be trashed or just chipped up from the sand and cinders on the road. Tahoe is a mountain town. Nasty roads in the winter spring and fall.....sandy rocky roads in the summer.

Is there a chance the prev owner was a freak and kept the chips off? Sure 2% chance.

I think I missed something. What is wrong with that car? The ebay one Pierson put the link on. After looking through the carfax, it is pretty disapponting there isn't more detail. But what else is wrong with it? BYW, this is why this forum is so great. Some members, may know something about this car that is not evident on the surface.

Pierson - I would call the dealer who serviced the car. Be very nice to them and tell them how much you'd appreciate honest information. Ask about DRC, TC, excessive codes, ect. It is hard to find a one owner RS6 and will likely continue to be. If this car is as it looks (I know rarely thigs are) it should be a good car. Again, I may be wayyy off, as I know absolutely nothing about this vehicle besides reading the ebay page.

I understand the value in buying a car that has never seen snow (or more importantly, salt), but shouldn't i also be just as worried about the driving characteristics? I mean, shouldn't i be more worried about the type of driver that would put a chip in the car as opposed to one that might have chipped the outside of the car?

I'm looking for a RS6 that i can drive well into the 100,000s, maybe even 200ks! and less concerned with one that is chipped up a little on the outside. Why oh, why can't i find a 80yrd old grandmother that drove her rs6 from bingo to bridge....

ps. This forum is incredible. I can't tell you how much better audi fans are than bmw fans.

Ben, I understand. I am familiar with that situation. I was very interesting to watch unfold. I was a lowly lurker at the time.

Dave, good points. I guess, I am biased. I had a good expierence with mine, bought very different than what is average. Sight unseen, shipped to me with no going back. I did a ton of research before hand though. Definitely out of most people's comfort range.