Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any new news on the RS3

Cool

Just to round off the discussion about Georg Kacher, new model specifications are not set in stone before production is signed-off. They can change often and even change back again! Indeed, the RS3 has been an 'off and on' project. According to the Dutch version of German magazine, Auto Motor und Sport, (Erik) the car was cancelled until someone came up with idea of narrower rear wheels.

As far as other models are concerned. When I met Michael Renz (Audi, Leiter Marketing) at Geneva in 2005, he said that the RS4 model that would follow the B7 would have a twin-turbo V8. Audi believed that TT was the way to go to provide ample power and reasonable economy in a flexible package. In fact, there was a plan to put the new 4.0 litre V8 TSFI in both RS5 and RS4. Clearly, this changed when the world economy went to hell in a hand basket. It was also planned to put the V10 in the S7. That changed to. It would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall at product planning meetings in Ingolstadt.

Besides all that, half the fun of these forums is to figure out what is coming and when. I wonder to what extent if any we inspire marketing departments to make certain products? Given that Qisha recently asked us what we wanted in future RS products and the superb feedback that came from the thread, maybe our collective thoughts do create value.

I eagerly await the RS3. I also eagerly await the Quattro concept. Audi is still making fantastic cars.

Quote Originally Posted by tailpipe View Post
    Besides all that, half the fun of these forums is to figure out what is coming and when. I wonder to what extent if any we inspire marketing departments to make certain products? Given that Qisha recently asked us what we wanted in future RS products and the superb feedback that came from the thread, maybe our collective thoughts do create value.
    You might be on something...
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

I have to agree with both of you, Audi do I think listen to what enthusiasts think, though financial restriction still come above anything we might suggest.

But in the interest of seeing what the members want from future S and RS model by means of a thread setup for this very purpose.

Example

Weight reduction
    S and RS model :
    No more weight than the heaviest petrol A equivalent for the S model yet offering beefier equipment to cope with the increase in power. Where as the RS should offer a minimum 50kg weight reduction over the S model equivalent and reduced height of CoG.

Weight distribution
    S and RS Model:
    Superior balancing of weight between both axles over the A model equivalent through the use of lighter panels and components.

Quattro proportioning of power between axles
    S and RS model:
    More rear bias of power in normal driving conditions, i.e. 30/70, plus the inclusion of sportsdiff as standard with the RS model offering a greater ability to throw the tail under throttle load.

S-Tronic
    S and RS model:
    Both to be offered with launch control and both offering the ability to hold on to the gear instead of shifting up automatically.

The problem with a lot of these changes is that they are things we've been asking for over and over again, for years.

Progress is slow, and comes in too small steps.

For instance: "offering the ability to hold on to the gear instead of shifting up automatically." We had this discussion when the forum was just started, back in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The problem with a lot of these changes is that they are things we've been asking for over and over again, for years.

Progress is slow, and comes in too small steps.

For instance: "offering the ability to hold on to the gear instead of shifting up automatically." We had this discussion when the forum was just started, back in 2002.
    I stand corrected then, Audi might be listening to us but they are working at a slower pace than evolution.

But honestly, it's a software re-program which allows an auto gearbox to hold the gear, it's not a problem and should have been added years ago. One thing I did read once which kind of worried me was at the time of the A5 when an Audi representative claimed that they (the engineers) could have made the A5 chassis do anything they wanted, understeer, oversteer or behave neutral but the decision was taken to make it understeer because that was what Audi customers wanted. If that was indeed the case then Audi might be listening to the masses but they sure as heck aren't listening to the enthusiast.

I don't think the problem is doing the software, it's probably more of a problem inside the walls of the specifier...

Listening to the masses sells cars...

...asymmetric layout or not, wider wheel arches... ...sneak a peak and be your own judge.

Thanks for these pictures but I have one question about them.

Why is it being tested with only one exhaust on the left side and not the traditional oval pipes one either side?

The man driving that car.....looks a lot like Mr. Balsen!

...his little finger perhaps ???

...his little finger perhaps ???
    The chief himself...

Quote Originally Posted by JavierNuvolari View Post
    The man driving that car.....looks a lot like Mr. Balsen!
    LOL! Made my friday

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    The chief himself...
    And it feels like I have to take back a few of my comments. OR I was completly right (hope not).

In any case: RESPECT! Please tell him. (or if he reads)

As someone seriously considering one, I think the knowledge the Stephan Reil has personally signed off the product means a lot.

Does he normally do this?

I see larger wheel arches, so that probably means that tires will be of equal size...

Is Stephan Reil really Mr Balsen and a contributor here? If so, then I am surprised and delighted in equal measure. And if he feels that the RS3 is worthy of the RS badge, who am I to complain?

No, i think Qisha told us, that Stephan Reil drove the car...

Not that he is Mr. Balsen

Too much imagination tailpipe !