Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Speakers

What are the two speakers in my trunk suppose to be doing? Mine don't make a sound and they look like 4" speakers. I'm thinking of replacing all the speakers, but I never really noticed those in the trunk until now. Don't tell me these are suppose to mimic sub-woofers. If so this is really shameful in a car that cost 90k new.

This is nice. A 6.5 inch Sub.
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o+6W3V3-8.html

If you're talking about that plastic tote containing the two 4" subs in the right sided of the trunk behind the portable air compressor lid, then yes, it's quite an embarrassment. If these things didn't have such a nice exhaust note the stereo would be even more of a disappointment.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

On an unrelated note, are you still a distributor for the Acrylic Werks? It looks like spring has sprung, it's about time to put on a fresh layer.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Oh you guys and your boxes and tail pipes. I got mine for what's under the hood.

Mop and glow baby. Look up the chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    On an unrelated note, are you still a distributor for the Acrylic Werks? It looks like spring has sprung, it's about time to put on a fresh layer.

That is a Bose subwoofer and it is really produce a good bass. There is a duct transfer this bass into your saloon. For me, it is really doing a good job although size is small. Bose always good even with small speakers/ subwoofers.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Yes I am still able to get AW. Well are the speakers suppose to work? I was checking and I heard nothing.

Dave
    I'm not going for the competition sound for this car, but I would like a cleaner sound. Im looking to simply upgrade the speakers and maybe the amp. I don't use the CD changer, I dont even have any of my CD's. I use the SD card slots so the changer could house a nice upgraded amp. I have not decided on what speakers to go with.
    Last edited by GEN XER; March 12th, 2010 at 06:58.

Quote Originally Posted by vangelis View Post
    That is a Bose subwoofer and it is really produce a good bass. There is a duct transfer this bass into your saloon. For me, it is really doing a good job although size is small. Bose always good even with small speakers/ subwoofers.
    Bose is across-the-board junk, an audio scam. I'm not trolling, it's just not good gear. Better marketing than anything else, artificial EQ's to fool your ear, just doesn't hold up at volume. That little snorkel sub in your trunk is a rattly, gutless pile of shit, IMHO.

Will be replacing everything in my beast as soon as my garage is above 60 degrees at night. Stock audio is really really bad if you're into that kind of thing. Which I am.

If you're not into audio, troubleshoot your wiring back there and get your stock sub working again, it's fine if you're not an audio guy. Or get a decent, affordable, smaller amp and sub box from a local installer. But that baby sub you dropped the link to is probably worse that the Bose sub that's in there.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Yes I am still able to get AW. Well are the speakers suppose to work? I was checking and I heard nothing.

Dave
    I'm not going for the competition sound for this car, but I would like a cleaner sound. Im looking to simply upgrade the speakers and maybe the amp. I don't use the CD changer, I dont even have any of my CD's. I use the SD card slots so the changer could house a nice upgraded amp. I have not decided on what speakers to go with.
    Upgrading speakers alone is not at all worth it, a really common misconception. Amplification, signal processing and EQ has more to do with audio quality, feeding those same signals into better speakers won't do much for you. Your stock audio is EQ'ed specifically to those stock speakers. Better to remove factory EQ from the head unit signal with an external box, route that to a good 5 channel amp and then to new drivers and a smaller sub...

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Upgrading speakers alone is not at all worth it, a really common misconception. Amplification, signal processing and EQ has more to do with audio quality, feeding those same signals into better speakers won't do much for you. Your stock audio is EQ'ed specifically to those stock speakers. Better to remove factory EQ from the head unit signal with an external box, route that to a good 5 channel amp and then to new drivers and a smaller sub...
    You just said exactly what Matt, he works for Go-Ho Audio said. Then he went to far, with a 5K setup. Head unit, 5 Chan amp, fiberglass box, mids, highs, and lows. Im not even thinking of spending 5K ever again in car audio. I use spend that kind of money when I was in competition, but not now. I just want a nice clean set-up for those inside the car. What would you suggest for a simple upgrade in this car?

Dave
    um, sorry, but I have idea where this SD card slut is????

I have to agree with skribe, that "Bose" Bozo 4" x 2 sub is like dog vomit - you never wanna hear THAT sound!
    Where I do like to hear the radio/sat/cd for either me or the kids, running the iPod in to a muddy sounding system stinks...

Yes the lovely and silky notes under the hood are intoxicating at the same time... need more turbo whine...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Hi guys,

I have been upgrading my oem Bose system with rns-d.

I have replaced the amp with a 6 channel jbl unit, changed all 4 door speakers with Infinity reference and fitted an active sub box (I forget the make right now).

Last week I fitted a kenwood dnx5240bt hu, very impressed!

Im not very happy with the sub, it sounds good, but takes up a lot of space in my saloon. I'm thinking of removing the Bose sub and try to upgrade the sub units with either 4' or 5' cones.

I also have ignition whine which I need to resolve. I've used the existing wiring, but, tbh, it's quite good quality. Just need some time to diagnose.

Quote Originally Posted by gareth60 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have replaced the amp with a 6 channel jbl unit, changed all 4 door speakers with Infinity reference and fitted an active sub box (I forget the make right now).

Im not very happy with the sub, it sounds good, but takes up a lot of space in my saloon. I'm thinking of removing the Bose sub and try to upgrade the sub units with either 4' or 5' cones.

I also have ignition whine which I need to resolve. I've used the existing wiring, but, tbh, it's quite good quality. Just need some time to diagnose.
    Pretty good choices! Re the sub, that little Bose enclosure just doesn't have the cubic volume to drive good bass... I would look into building a spare tire well sub (though you would have to cut off and weld shut the central column) if you REALLY need the boot space. Or, probably easier, in my VW I wired all connections to the sub box to a modular plug (swiped from the IT parts bin) so I can unhook the sub box in 2 seconds.

Regarding the ignition whine, you have a classic ground loop there. This happens when you don't use a common grounding point for the amp and head unit. Run a ground wire up to the dash and ground it at the same point as your head unit. Or, you could try to wire in a ground loop isolator on your amp ground wire, easier but not guaranteed to solve the problem.

Thanks, great idea re. testing for the amp whine. I can run a ground lead and maybe even a power from the HU, through the cabin to the amp just to test to see what happens. It's funny though, as I have spliced the existing bose wiring loom and solderd the relevent connectors on, so I guessed it would be ok.

I cannot use the spare wheel area as my battery is in there. If I had the time, i deffo build a sub enclosure, but I don't, so unless I can buy one, then I wll need to stick to a stand unit. I'm probably going to remove the bose amp and sub unit anyway, so I might just have a play, but I agree, it is a bit on the tiny side.

"No highs, no lows - must be BOSE

The stereo is OK on the beast - not great - my wife has a Lexus with the Mark Levinson system in it and now you can buy an Audi with a great sounding B&O system. Bose systems are tricky to upgrade since they do a lot of EQ on the sound in both the head unit and the amplification. I would strongly disagree with the comments about amplification being most important. Speakers are by far the largest impact in sound reproduction. All you need is non distorted power from an amp.

For the "record" I used to work in a recording studio

I would agree about the speakers. I found the Bose units very muddled around the mid ranges and flat at the top. Cannot comment on the amp as the reason I changed it was because my speaker are 4 ohm and I didn't think the Bose amp would be able to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by gareth60 View Post
    Hi guys,

You might need to look into these, if you want to save space.
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=213

You might need to look into these, if you want to save space.
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=213
    So where would you put these? rear deck? doors?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post
    The stereo is OK on the beast - not great - my wife has a Lexus with the Mark Levinson system in it and now you can buy an Audi with a great sounding B&O system. Bose systems are tricky to upgrade since they do a lot of EQ on the sound in both the head unit and the amplification. I would strongly disagree with the comments about amplification being most important. Speakers are by far the largest impact in sound reproduction. All you need is non distorted power from an amp.

For the "record" I used to work in a recording studio
    I was speaking in context of the existing BOSE system -- the BOSE drivers themselves aren't TOO horrible. No, they're not GOOD, but replacing them alone won't help much because what your're hearing (or not hearing) in that car with the factory system has more to do with amp and EQ than the speakers, just saying replacing speakers alone is a waste.

For the record record, I've spent thousands of hours evaluating sound in recording studios, and I still do on a regular basis.