Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speakers

I think I had two of those woofers under the front seats of my ex-Alpina B7. It had a Logic7 sound system with 2 woofers under the front seats. was a WOOW sound system. Almost close to small Cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    You might need to look into these, if you want to save space.
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=213
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

Skribe, ( to put it on the record we agree) - replacing the speakers in a bose system would create a mish mash because of the EQ the amps provide - I used to do installs of custom home audio in Beverly Hills and the sales folks at high end audio stores would be pushing the exotic cables and ultra high end amplification with so-so speakers. That is what got me started in responding. A good amp with great speakers and a clean input is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post
    I used to do installs of custom home audio in Beverly Hills...
    I remember you. Muddy boots on my cashmere garage carpet.

Yeah, I think we agree. Replace it all if you care about that kind of thing.

Re: monster cable, don't get me started on The Great Cable Scam

Years ago I had a breakfast meeting at Buck's in Woodside, the place in Silicon Valley where business gets done. I come out to see a red Porsche Carrera GT... the thing had only hit the street a few months ago. Out comes the CEO of Monster Cable, who still looked about 18 years old, he gets in it and drives away. Scams do pay.

The car has a stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by AUDI5000CSTQ View Post
    The car has a stereo?
    hehe, soundtrack courtesy of Eisenmann exhaust.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Skribe - if you had planted some grass in the driveway rather than the dirt maybe my boots would not have been muddy

The great cable scam - I love it - my story on that - I was at CES about 15 years ago and I was talking with the maker of some snake oil cables that cost 10k for a 2 meter set. I asked him if it would be cheaper to buy a couple of Krell amps and WELD them to the back of my speakers. He asked me to leave the room....

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    So where would you put these? rear deck? doors?
    I would love to put them in the rear deck, but there is no way I'm cutting into the rear deck. I would consider building an enclosure mounted beneath the rear deck.

No need to cut, you already have a small window behind the ski-page in the center console at the rear seat. You can fix the woofer right behind that facing the interior of your saloon

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    I would love to put them in the rear deck, but there is no way I'm cutting into the rear deck. I would consider building an enclosure mounted beneath the rear deck.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

Well, I decided that while I know it's complete overkill, I'm going with a custom box built into the side of the trunk so it doesn't intrude. I got the first part this weekend and my technician (he's done a lot of stereo installs in his life. Plus I don't want the wiring hacked up) plans to start next week. Said it will take about 3 - 4 weeks since he is doing it when he has time. While the car is at the dealership I am having the front bumper pulled and repainted. And I'm also going to do the clear corner mod with the headlights.

Here's the overkill part. I'm excited.

Quote Originally Posted by vangelis View Post
    No need to cut, you already have a small window behind the ski-page in the center console at the rear seat. You can fix the woofer right behind that facing the interior of your saloon
    If you are talking the rear deck, this wouldn't work with owners that have the warm weather package (the collapsible sun screen), it would be blocked.
    Wasn't there a thread about someone taking out the spare and using that area as a sub/amp area???
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    If you are talking the rear deck, this wouldn't work with owners that have the warm weather package (the collapsible sun screen), it would be blocked.
    Wasn't there a thread about someone taking out the spare and using that area as a sub/amp area???
    Yeah a fiberglass box in the spare tire hold would be a good spot. I am going to have to really consider which way I want to go on the RS6. The GTI was easy a Pioneer Deck, a DEI amp and two 12" MTX speakers in a box and Infiniti Ref mids. I am going to change some parts of this system starting today by changing the deck to a Kenwood KDC x994, a JL Amp and 2 x 8" JL W3v3's.

The deck
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...nment/KDC-X994

The subs
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=27

The amp
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=483 or something like it.

Contemplating an aftermarket head as well. Just can't seem to source the right RNS-E and while I really prefer the stock look, the aftermarket stuff just crushes RNS-E in features...

Trying to figure out if any of the good full-screen nav head units have a hackable interface -- if I could get at the XML in there I could photoshop a full RS6/Audi factory-looking interface. That would make me really happy. But I can't figure it out right now. grrr. I hate it when something is ungoogleable.

Anybody?