Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: MTM TCU, best $125 spent on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Unless you're experienced with surface mount soldering, you won't be able to install the chip yourself. It's not plug and play; the stock EPROM has to be desoldered and then the MTM has to be soldered.

I would jump all over Kevin's offer of $100 for his MTM TCU. That is an amazing deal.
    Yep, my mechanic had done lots of soldering, put a chip in a few years ago and nothing, ended up toasting the TCU, always wondered if it was a bad chip because the work looked clean...although I've heard of a handful of folks having success when they are good at it....$100 is a steal if it's TCU also!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

PM sent to you

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I have a MTM TCU for sale. $100 plus shipping.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Unless you're experienced with surface mount soldering, you won't be able to install the chip yourself. It's not plug and play; the stock EPROM has to be desoldered and then the MTM has to be soldered.

I would jump all over Kevin's offer of $100 for his MTM TCU. That is an amazing deal.
    PM already sent, hoping to have it shipped today.

So where is this TCU located? How do I install?

It's under the passenger side front carpeting. You'll need to pull up the plastic threshold and related kick panel then the carpet.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

yep..then get the cover off the enclosure, unscrew the bracket, unplug the TCU and pull it out...15 minute job if you have small hands...
    2013 Audi S8

does anyone know if Hoppen Garage is still alive? i am trying to get a hold of them and seems there is no way, i want to have my TCU done too...thanks.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

No luck with Hoppen anymore. This is the new place everyone on the board has been using as of late, up in Canada.
    http://www.horchaus.com/index.html
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I reached out to horchaus and sounds like they are still sell the TCU but I have a question. They say I need to find a surface mount solder person. What did you guys do?
    RS6 2003 Mugello , silver, carbon, Revo, KW3s, Hotchkis sway bars, Custom exhaust, Hawk HPS pads, RNS-E, Bluetooth, 19" BBS CH(Black)

Quote Originally Posted by stubro View Post
    I reached out to horchaus and sounds like they are still sell the TCU but I have a question. They say I need to find a surface mount solder person. What did you guys do?
    Find a shop that is VERY good at soldering. You could also send it to Viper UK, I think they just flash the current chip?

http://audirssix.com/index.php/owning/ecu-and-tcu
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks I will see if I can find a good Solder person here in Tampa. Still kicking myself that I didnt do it with Hoppen when they did it down in Sarasota. I can solder but not sure I trust myself to do this.
    RS6 2003 Mugello , silver, carbon, Revo, KW3s, Hotchkis sway bars, Custom exhaust, Hawk HPS pads, RNS-E, Bluetooth, 19" BBS CH(Black)

Thanks I will see if I can find a good Solder person here in Tampa. Still kicking myself that I didnt do it with Hoppen when they did it down in Sarasota. I can solder but not sure I trust myself to do this.
    Yep, as mentioned on my website it can wreck the TCU if something goes wrong. I had an experienced mechanic who had soldered at least 20-30 megasquirt systems, plenty of other stuff, and it still turned out bad. It looked fine to me, so we assumed the chip I was sent was blank/bad and that's why it didn't work.

i have a friend who works at a large, very large, electronics company here who said np he could get it done. These guys do board for Tulsa, Apple, big auto. So cross your fingers.

i have a friend who works at a large, very large, electronics company here who said np he could get it done. These guys do board for Tulsa, Apple, big auto. So cross your fingers.
    Good deal, you should be set. It's just small and the pins are close, for me at least; almost all at a shop or at home seem to have gone well. The solder looked perfect after mine was done, so I think it was random.

Quote Originally Posted by p3u View Post
    I've been wanting to get the TCU reprogramed for some time, but didn't want the hassle of the down time of 3 days ( big deal I know) being that I'm down to one car now. Since I was sick last week I said screw it, I'm not going anywhere, so I pulled it, boxed it, and got it shipped.

On the third day, he rose again....

After UPS dropped it off I put the TCU back in its home and buttoned everything back up. Driving my beast so gently, to make sure all seemed well, the first thing I noticed is the control of the gear selection. When I told the car to shift, it shifted. I could go as far as keep 5th gear down to 1200rpm/32mph. This I particularly like, as I am always finding my self going over 40 to have it stay in 5th, and many of the roads are 40 limit..

After affirming the car was good to drive I put my foot down and instantly knew I made the right choice. The torque converter goes from regulating to locking SO much faster, ensuring that all of the power is in fact making it to the wheels as the car accelerates. When you let off the gas the TC tends to also stay engaged much longer, giving the feel the car is really in a gear like a manual would be.

All in all, the car should have been programed like this from the factory, best mod for the money that you can actually notice, and makes a big difference. If you are thinking about it, do it, if you're not thinking about it, start to.
    Can you post the link or pm where to get this done?

Does anyone have an update on where to get the MTM TCU chip from? I've called Horchaus, the Canadian distributor mentioned in this thread now that Hoppen doesn't exist anymore, but haven't been able to reach anyone. Is there a decent alternative TCU flash/chip if the MTM isn't available stateside anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by cgc154 View Post
    Does anyone have an update on where to get the MTM TCU chip from? I've called Horchaus, the Canadian distributor mentioned in this thread now that Hoppen doesn't exist anymore, but haven't been able to reach anyone. Is there a decent alternative TCU flash/chip if the MTM isn't available stateside anymore?

Daz at vagautowerks.com does TCU chips. I'm happy with mine. Switched to him from my Viper chip since I'm going with his tune as well.

hes local, east coast I believe. Email him thru his website and he can hook you up if you can't find a MTM one.
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

034 is another shop that has upped their RS6 game for both TCU and ECU.

http://store.034motorsport.com/blog/...ware-tip-chip/