Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of Ownership!

Cost of Ownership!

I've been just going through my service records, was looking for date/miles for Timing Belt change, found that. So I ended up doing the math on the total cost of ownership. Total lease payments, total loan payments (after lease change over to purchase), total service payments, total TIRES,etc...

So far I've had the car for 75 months, total payments $108,047.50 YIKES....so $1440.63 per month (not including gas, insurance or registration fees). (still have 20 months of payments so really it will be $130,475.50 for 95 months or $1373.42 per month plus maybe another set of tires LOL)

After looking that over the total cost has not been that bad!

For comparison, our mini van (Toyota Sienna) monthly payment is $907.81 on a five year note. Sure if I get 100,000 miles out of that over 75 months that would be $726.25 per month OR half the cost of the RS6. (ok let's go to that same 95 months $573 per month but I am sure that van will need tires and service) - But is the Sienna Mini Van 1/2 the car of the RS6?

Well let's see. AWD, all extras, 266 horse power, 245 ft-lbs torque, 5690 lbs, no turbo, rides nicely, lots of room, seats 7, plush interior, Nav, DVD, 3500 lbs towing capacity. Nice Family mover.....

But FAR less than 1/2 the car! (at 95 months perhaps 41 percent of an RS6?)

I'd say my RS6 has been a bargain after reviewing the cost. The extra $714.38 per month has been well worth it LOL..

And...my RS6 get's better gas mileage than the Sienna!!!
    RS6 = $3.05 per horse power Sienna = $2.15 per horse power

Mike

Stop paying dealer markups on parts/labor and cut that service/maint cost in half. Priceless

35k timing belt, plugs, ffilter, all the pulleys with thermostat, oil change. 700 dollars. Priceless

Front brake job with new rotors, EBC pads 700 dollars. Priceless

3,000 dollar Fidelity insurance for 6/72k past factory warranty. Priceless

I cant compare the entry costs because I paid cash for 22,000 mile car and not full sticker back in the day. But, the carry/maint costs can me managed to keep the household CFO happy if you work and source parts discounts.

.02c

^^that^^ then try to find another servicing facility whose labor isn't $115 - $130/hr. Especially if you don't have a CPO warranty. I pay $75/hr labor and I get my parts at cost or nearly cost, Genuine Audi parts at that. So for most jobs on an RS6 which are about 2 hours I pay $150 in labor, where going to a dealer would cost $230 - $260. A difference of $80 - $110/hr every 2hrs. Then I get a 15% discount for being Military. The biggest issue is finding a shop you can trust to do the work. I get to go back and watch them do all the work and I love that.
    Last edited by GEN XER; February 21st, 2010 at 19:29.

3 yrs, same basis, roughly $1250/mo all in. Figure I should be payments only for another 6-12months if I stay with it. Getting the itch to get another 911.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Stop paying dealer markups on parts/labor and cut that service/maint cost in half. Priceless

35k timing belt, plugs, ffilter, all the pulleys with thermostat, oil change. 700 dollars. Priceless

Front brake job with new rotors, EBC pads 700 dollars. Priceless

3,000 dollar Fidelity insurance for 6/72k past factory warranty. Priceless

I cant compare the entry costs because I paid cash for 22,000 mile car and not full sticker back in the day. But, the carry/maint costs can me managed to keep the household CFO happy if you work and source parts discounts.

.02c
    Thank you DAVE for the clarity... and the DIY...

I was about to put my hands in my face and cry as I would be lynched IF I were to pay stealership prices...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Willie,

Yes you have found a nice place to service your car. 2nd best thing to doing it yourself.

Some day I will need to find a shop with a lift but thats after 2015. Hell I will just put a lift in by then.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    ^^that^^ then try to find another servicing facility whose labor isn't $115 - $130/hr. Especially if you don't have a CPO warranty. I pay $75/hr labor and I get my parts at cost or nearly cost, Genuine Audi parts at that. So for most jobs on an RS6 which are about 2 hours I pay $150 in labor, where going to a dealer would cost $230 - $260. A difference of $80 - $110/hr every 2hrs. Then I get a 15% discount for being Military. The biggest issue is finding a shop you can trust to do the work. I get to go back and watch them do all the work and I love that.

I'm predicting this RS6 will be my 3rd most expense vehicle. I paid cash (last October) and set aside an additional $10k towards initial additional costs, such as brakes, suspension, timing belt. I have another 10,000 miles until timing belt. Brakes came out better than expected (thanks to Dave & the RS6 members). Carousel in Minneapolis did a great job on the DRC. Since the car had a rebuilt transmission & new TC when I purchased it, i'm hoping to be good for a while. No warranty, but i'm allocating a $1,000 / month. -------- My most expensive was Cessna Cardinal RG --- 2nd -- Two year race season of a Late Model Stock car.
    C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT
    01 Wrangler, 03 F250 Diesel, 08 F450

Willie,

Yes you have found a nice place to service your car. 2nd best thing to doing it yourself.

Some day I will need to find a shop with a lift but thats after 2015. Hell I will just put a lift in by then.
    I have my eyes on a house in NC with nearly 2 acres of land. I am going to build a detached with a lift in it.

I have my eyes on a house in NC with nearly 2 acres of land. I am going to build a detached with a lift in it.
    http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ph...Code=TP-XL-9BP

These hoists are easy to install. Go ahead & buy one for your Garage. Move it when you build your shop. Less than $1,500.
    Last edited by uncfrk; February 21st, 2010 at 23:53. Reason: forgot link
    C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT

Oh crapper, you can come cut my grass and pull weeds for a season. You will never look at a 2ac site again.

I want to run away from home and live in our motorhome.

haha

Both my attached garage and remote shop have attic space above. Arrrrghthth, I cant put hoists inside without building yet a 3rd garage/shop. CFO says no way boy.

I can always install a lift outside the back shop but it gets too darn hot in the summer and the shop has A/C. Between a rock and hard place.

Quote Originally Posted by uncfrk View Post
    http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ph...Code=TP-XL-9BP

These hoists are easy to install. Go ahead & buy one for your Garage. Move it when you build your shop. Less than $1,500.

These open top, short hoists only require a 9 ft ceiling. You just need to limit the raising height. It may not be as convenient, but is still better than a jack & stands. It takes about 4 hrs to install one.
    C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT

Hmm. this got me to thinking...

I know this won't be exact since i'm far too lazy to pull out receipts...

Car--$54k (2006 with 6700 miles)
    Mods $12,000
    35k service $2800
    Brake parts $1100 (group buy via Jimmy)
    Tires $1500, $450
    Warranty $4500, $4300 to re-up
    Brake job inc pads $800? Pads were stupid expensive back then
    Chasing non working APR chip problems $1000
    CV boots $600

thats all off the top of my head. I had a BUNCH of warrantied stuff done, and am about to go back in for a bushing that is covered until i hit that magical 50,000 mile mark

roughly $83,200 over 43 months... $1900-ish per month... and lets say i sell today, get $30k including my mods... $53k for 43 months... $1200 per month roughly to own..

and that does NOT include gas registration or insurance.

Dumbest topic ever. These cars pretend to be rational with their four doors. Who cares about cost of ownership? How about "more than is reasonable"

Kia Rio comes in a 4dr sedan.

* (brazil will hate post)

How does it do against a M5???
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Kia Rio cost about 50 bucks a month to run.

M5 about 2,000

RS6(depending on your entry point) 1,200-2,000

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    How does it do against a M5???