Thread: Quick Thread: Defective AIr Intake Temp Sensor?

Mech Quick Thread: Defective AIr Intake Temp Sensor?

Short and Sweet.
    Did a scan yesterday morning. Went to the advanced Blocks (Thanks RS6-4dr911 for the reminder to look) and found a reading of 116 F on the air intake temp sensor!!!!! WTF!!!! Outside temp was 71F, car had been on for no more than 5 minutes. I'm gonna check the ohms readings on it to see if it's dead. No codes showed up for this by the way. So what you guys think, defective air intake sensor? Power seems down a bit, but remember my TC is shot.
    Thanks in Advance
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

I don't think that sensor is reading outside air, it's the temp at the throttle body, I THINK that's correct location.

As such, it sounds right, 5 minutes of idle should easily be able to heat up the turbos enough to pick up 30-40 degrees from ambient as the air passes through them at slow idle velocity. Pure speculation on my part though.

I'm aware of where the sensor gets it's reading, just seems high. Remember, from the turbos the air flows through the intercoolers before hitting the sensor.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    I'm aware of where the sensor gets it's reading, just seems high. Remember, from the turbos the air flows through the intercoolers before hitting the sensor.
    You said you were idling after just a few minutes, if true, the IC's would have zero impact as you're not making any boost, so no heat gain from compression.

Also if you're stationary, yu're not getting any cooling flow over the IC. IIRC mine runs about 50°c air intake temperature when the engine is warmed up and idling.