Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planing A Car Project

Planing A Car Project

I am planing to turbo charge my GTI VR6 12V. I am aiming for 375-400bhp. I've seen this done quite easily. When it starts I will post the build here. I know this is RS6.com, but most of us here are just plan car guys and I don't hang out on VW sites. Things should get started within the next 60 days. HB Motorwerks will be doing the work. This car when done will give even my RS6 a run for its money. We are going to take both cars to H20 in September.

Look forward to the updates!
    210K miles rolled

Willie,

What is the news here? Have you started?

[QUOT
    E=DHall1;183214]Willie,

What is the news here? Have you started?[/QUOTE]

Not yet Dave but I want it done before May so I'm working on all the pricing and what to buy. I really should find something better to do with over 10K dollars though.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    I really should find something better to do with over 10K dollars though.
    Yes, you owe that money to the less fortunate/ ambitious.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

10k.

ouch...

$10K??? Holy crap. Everything gold plated?

I just LOVE VR6 engine...! So, your project is ''approved'' by me! Golf VR6 (bi) turbo

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    Yes, you owe that money to the less fortunate/ ambitious.
    Well that would be me. I'm less fortunate than someone, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    10k.

ouch...
    I know, when I post the list of parts you will see why.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    $10K??? Holy crap. Everything gold plated?
    No, but this stuff is not cheap. This is a N/A motor which can take a lot of boost, but a lot of the engine internals have to be replace or you will wish you did. I am going to run 16-18psi of boost so I might be able to save the pistons and piston rods. The issue then is do I trust piston and rods with 140K miles on them to hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    I just LOVE VR6 engine...! So, your project is ''approved'' by me! Golf VR6 (bi) turbo
    Yes these are very nice motors. They can take up to 30psi of boost with the right internals and fueling.

Parts List
    Turbo's: T3/ T4 $900.....GT Series $1200
    Turbo Piping: $600
    Fueling: C2 Motorsports $1000
    Intercooler & Piping: Mishimoto $900
    Down Pipe: $150
    Waste Gate & Diverter Valve: $550
    Intake Manifold: Custom HB Motorwerks $500
    Exhaust Manifold: ATP $350
    Head Bolts: $200
    Main Bolts & Bearings: $160
    Rod Bolts & Bearings: $320
    Fuel Pump: $160
    Gauges & Pods: $600
    Head Gasket: $200
    Ceramic: Hot Parts $800

Labor: 2-3K

Willie,

Get the Eurocharge ECU flash on the RS6. You will forget all about the turbo upgrade on the VW and keep 9500 dollars in your pocket.

Its just crazy.

Turbo GTI VR6

Willie, my two cents. I would add some more money to your list - you will want a new clutch and flywheel - Centerforce or the like to get the power out, also I would guess you will need a custom radiator to keep things from cooking, add some larger electric fans as well. Are you keeping the stock exhaust ? - you may need to replace or gut the cats as they may overheat with all of the new flow going through them.

My old ride was a 280Z with an after market turbo ( 20 psi boost max) - all of these items I added were required.

This type of project is like home improvement - set a budget and add 50% to 100% for the gotcha's.

Good luck !

^^ what he said.

Fluidyne gets my money before I even bolt on the larger turbo. Lemme go take some pics of the Supra again.

Power makes heat.

How you gonna deal with the heat?

Good points

Quote Originally Posted by s42ski View Post
    Willie, my two cents. I would add some more money to your list - you will want a new clutch and flywheel - Centerforce or the like to get the power out, also I would guess you will need a custom radiator to keep things from cooking, add some larger electric fans as well. Are you keeping the stock exhaust ? - you may need to replace or gut the cats as they may overheat with all of the new flow going through them.

My old ride was a 280Z with an after market turbo ( 20 psi boost max) - all of these items I added were required.

This type of project is like home improvement - set a budget and add 50% to 100% for the gotcha's.

Good luck !
    I dont have many OE parts on this car as I went to changing things when I first bought it. I have a 300HP clutchnet clutch in it now but it will be replaced by a centerforce one. The radiator and fans will be replaced. I have a Techtonics Tuning DP and high flow cat, 2.5" exhaust and a Magnaflo Cat-Back, this is when I had the idea of building a 2.9 N/A motor, the cost to HP ratio was just awful so I stoped the project and found out what boost would do. I would have spent about 20K or better making 350-375HP on a N/A VR6. I estimate I'm putting down 200-210hp with what I did, but the cost was getting beyond what I wanted to pay to continue. The ECU is tuned by GIAC, the cams are bigger, upgraded lifters, valve springs, It has an ABD CAI, the suspension is Billstein coilovers, H&R sways front and rear, Neuspeed strut bar, and a partridge in a pair tree. LOL!

DHall - I drive the RS6 for show, I drive the GTI for go. I cant shave the weight off the RS6, the GTI is already light and 400hp+ will make it a complete monster.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    Parts List
    Turbo's: T3/ T4 $900.....GT Series $1200
    Turbo Piping: $600
    Fueling: C2 Motorsports $1000
    Intercooler & Piping: Mishimoto $900
    Down Pipe: $150
    Waste Gate & Diverter Valve: $550
    Intake Manifold: Custom HB Motorwerks $500
    Exhaust Manifold: ATP $350
    Head Bolts: $200
    Main Bolts & Bearings: $160
    Rod Bolts & Bearings: $320
    Fuel Pump: $160
    Gauges & Pods: $600
    Head Gasket: $200
    Ceramic: Hot Parts $800

Labor: 2-3K
    DHall

Hot parts done with ceramic coatings including the intake manifold.

I am going to be able to lower my parts cost because I'm not paying full retail. HB has agreed to get me the parts at cost and keep the labor at 2k, since I agreed to show the car this year at H20 in September. This could mean thousands of dollars saved.

Ceramic hot parts will not erase the need for extra engine cooling.

Your explosion in each cylinder is going to make more heat. That heat has to go somewhere.

I see and understand your other points. Overall a good upgrade plan and you got your bases covered.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Ceramic hot parts will not erase the need for extra engine cooling.

Your explosion in each cylinder is going to make more heat. That heat has to go somewhere.

I see and understand your other points. Overall a good upgrade plan and you got your bases covered.

Yup, ceramic coating will just help to keep everything else in the engine bay from melting.