Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Side Mirror Tilt in Reverse

this is something like the switch NA cars have that has the autofolding mirror option...

you should check the parking assist module in vag com... check the coding in it

Quote Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
    so you have this switch?

that would mean that your car doesnt have the autofolding option... try putting it into the passenger mirror position and put it in reverse and see if anything happens... i'm pretty sure that if nothing happens that feature can be turned on via vag com... but the autofolding mirrors need to be installed and the switch needs to be changed if you want both options
    YES, that is exactly what i have. I tried putting it into the passenger mirror position and reverse but didn't tilt. So any idea where to find that option via VAG to enable it? and what to do if I want to retro fit the autofolding option? new mirrors required with autofolding option?
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

I have this one:

So that means I DON'T have auto-folding if I read your posts correctly.
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue
    2007 ML63 AMG
    2003 LX470
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2003 RS6 Daytona Gray
    1995 911 Carrera
    1998 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    I have this one:

So that means I DON'T have auto-folding if I read your posts correctly.
    Yes, Me 2

yes you need new mirrors for autofolding since they have motors built in for that... as far as the tilting. i'm not sure what module it would be under, i tried looking but couldnt find anything that relates to the mirrors lol

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    Ah, yes. We have a side-view mirror snob among us.

It's technically correct to pivot your passenger side mirror about five degrees counter-clockwise further than the intuitive position, where you see the edge of your car.

But nobody does that... I don't, because I find it annoying for some reason, and I don't feel safe making lane changes without a quick head turn anyway.

I like that tilt-down feature. Eliminates rim-curbage paranoia.
    I'm guessing you don't track cars that often then because you'll experience a near death experience if you don't have them adjusted this way. Driving instructors got it in your head that you should have your mirrors adjusted to see the side of your car and that you should have your hands at the 2:00 and 10:00 positions.

Give yourself an honest 2 weeks driving with the mirrors in the correct position (ya ya I know you'll say this is an opinion thingy) and I guarantee it you won't go back. Even insurance companies will like you for this as it lessens accidents.

http://www.canadiandirect.com/Auto/S...ind_Spots.aspx

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

http://www.wnins.com/losscontrol/Spo.../blindspot.pdf
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

No, I don't parallel park on the track often. No, I don't track my RS6, not what it was made for, INMO.

We were talking about pulling up to starbucks and seeing the curb, not hot lapping road america. Obv there are many things different between the street and the track. My brother has been hassling me for 20 years to drive my road cars with the outside mirror in the skip-barber approved position, I've tried, and just can't quite get used to it. Plus I live in a large metro and parallel park multiple times a day. I learned to love tilt-down driving around on a set of $4k forged BBS on my last daily driver.

I have a longacre panoramic mirror on my track car... which doesn't see the track very often these days.

I'll have to try the reverse feature one of these days
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding mirror switch.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	9132
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

WHY is it so friggin' hard to convince people that this method is not only "correct" but BETTER?????

I've never seen any of this print, it just seemed the logical way to adjust the mirrors. I feel so validated now. Make sure, everyone, that you realize he's referring to your average Sears Driving School instructor (not a qualified track or racing instructor) that teaches this inane method of being able to see your own car in your own mirrors.

The logic is so simple, adjusted properly, without ever turning your head away from the windshield, you can see 360 degrees around you. Great links.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I'm guessing you don't track cars that often then because you'll experience a near death experience if you don't have them adjusted this way. Driving instructors got it in your head that you should have your mirrors adjusted to see the side of your car and that you should have your hands at the 2:00 and 10:00 positions.

Give yourself an honest 2 weeks driving with the mirrors in the correct position (ya ya I know you'll say this is an opinion thingy) and I guarantee it you won't go back. Even insurance companies will like you for this as it lessens accidents.

http://www.canadiandirect.com/Auto/S...ind_Spots.aspx

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

http://www.wnins.com/losscontrol/Spo.../blindspot.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    WHY is it so friggin' hard to convince people that this method is not only "correct" but BETTER?????

I've never seen any of this print, it just seemed the logical way to adjust the mirrors. I feel so validated now. Make sure, everyone, that you realize he's referring to your average Sears Driving School instructor (not a qualified track or racing instructor) that teaches this inane method of being able to see your own car in your own mirrors.

The logic is so simple, adjusted properly, without ever turning your head away from the windshield, you can see 360 degrees around you. Great links.
    Fully agree. I get so irritated every time i get the car washed and the guys knock or move them out of the sweet spot. This 'correct' way was 1000% necessary in my TT as I couldn't see crap even when turning the head.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

I have the same mirror switch that Snoopra posted above with the folding position. Maybe the switch is all you guys need as it would seem stupid for Audi to have swapped the mirror internals since they look the same from the outside? Maybe one of us need to take a look at the ETKA to see?
    I also do agree about the mirror position, I learned that at Skip Barber racing school about 15 years ago and it takes a little to get used to but I've never went back. No need to see the side of my car, I know it is still there.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I have the same mirror switch that Snoopra posted above with the folding position. Maybe the switch is all you guys need as it would seem stupid for Audi to have swapped the mirror internals since they look the same from the outside? Maybe one of us need to take a look at the ETKA to see?
    I also do agree about the mirror position, I learned that at Skip Barber racing school about 15 years ago and it takes a little to get used to but I've never went back. No need to see the side of my car, I know it is still there.
    Any one have access to ETKA can double check whether Mirrors have only 1 part number or different ones? as I believe we do need more than that mirror switch with folding option, we have to have mirrors supporting folding as well.

A look at the ETKA does show 4 different suffix's on the part # for each mirror side so there must be a difference, but 4? A list an Aluminum Matte choice for each of the different part #'s so something internal, and this is for the mirror assembly, not the glass as we know there are at least 4 different glass choices out there.
    Roy, WA

Flipped it to the right mirror, put it in reverse, and bingo, the mirror tracked down to see the curb.

One more reason to love the . Shhh, don't tell anyone else.

Funny story, after a few games, a guy on my new soccer team asked if I drove the RS6. I smiled, said yes, and asked if had one. He said he drove his buddies once. On that 20 minute drive near Microsoft HQ, a Porsche pulled up (didn't remember which Carrera model), his buddy said to take him, and blew the doors off. He couldn't believe that all that power, handling, and trackability was possible in a sedan.

In the games since, he asks if I've got any tickets lately...

Knock on wood, not yet...
    Topcat_92

Topcat, when are you going to show up at one of the Wednesday Audi meets at Feierabend pub in Seattle? I went up two weeks ago and we had 3 RS6's there, so sometime soon we need to make it four or five. Some Audi club members meet every Wednesday at about 8:00. Some come once a month, some every week, etc...
    Roy, WA

Feierabend! I've been there a few times. Didn't know there was a get together there. PM me with the meet date and I'll head on down.
    Topcat_92

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_92 View Post
    Feierabend! I've been there a few times. Didn't know there was a get together there. PM me with the meet date and I'll head on down.

Spy shot..

210K miles rolled