Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Side Mirror Tilt in Reverse

Side Mirror Tilt in Reverse

I did a search and didn't find much, so this may be silly, but for the first time my right side mirror tilted down going into reverse. I did a double take as I don't EVER remember it doing that. Very handy for not curbing the wheels. The adjustment knob on the center console was turned to that side, probably from me screwing around with the new cup holder (another story). When knob is centered, the mirror does not tilt.

Have I always had this function and just didn't know it? Seems like it should tilt anyway in center position if it has the capability....
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue
    2007 ML63 AMG
    2003 LX470
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2003 RS6 Daytona Gray
    1995 911 Carrera
    1998 740iL

Yes, that is a standard function when selector is pointed to the right mirror.

Well it only took me 80,000 miles to figure that out.
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue
    2007 ML63 AMG
    2003 LX470
    2003 RS6 Daytona Gray
    1995 911 Carrera
    1998 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Well it only took me 80,000 miles to figure that out.
    It's like a new car again.

Actually it IS a new car

It makes me wonder what else I've been missing.....:bigeyes:
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue
    2007 ML63 AMG
    2003 LX470
    2003 RS6 Daytona Gray
    1995 911 Carrera
    1998 740iL

I tried that right now as I really want this option, i love it and i used to have in my BMW. But it didn't work for me ,, no idea why!!! I've tried putting the adjustment knob turned to right/ center/ left all did not work for me. Is it possible to enable it via VAG? i love to have this option. By the way, i also don't have the option of automatically folding mirrors. only adjusting the mirrors but not closing or opening.
    Last edited by vangelis; January 22nd, 2010 at 21:33.
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

I'm going to check the VAGCOM when I get a chance.

When I did a search I found these codes, but I don't know what they refer to:

6XE - electric fold
    6XJ - auto dip
    6XK - both of above

anyone?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue
    2007 ML63 AMG
    2003 LX470
    2003 RS6 Daytona Gray
    1995 911 Carrera
    1998 740iL

This feature is USELESS if you have your mirrors adjusted "properly"..... By that I mean adjusted so that you have NO blind spots and so that you aren't staring down the side of your car.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    This feature is USELESS if you have your mirrors adjusted "properly"..... By that I mean adjusted so that you have NO blind spots and so that you aren't staring down the side of your car.
    How? i find it very useful for me, even if the mirrors are adjusted properly, they won't show the side wall while you parking. You need this option to give u that view and return back to original adjustment after switching back to N.

I have it on my 1994 S4.
    Tom Diss

Current: 1994 S4 (Tornado red/black), 2005 6MT S4 (Dolphin Gray/black/CF trim)
    Retired (sold): 1989 200 Quattro, 1984 4000S Quattro

The USA is the greatest country in the world. Work hard and you are rewarded. Don't work hard and the people that work hard will subsidize you.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    I'm going to check the VAGCOM when I get a chance.

When I did a search I found these codes, but I don't know what they refer to:

6XE - electric fold
    6XJ - auto dip
    6XK - both of above

anyone?
    the codes refer to the type of mirrors the car has. some of them have only the auto folding mirrors, some have only the audo-dip function that points the mirror down in reverse, and some have both....

so, that means i have to have one of those options as a standard option? I don't have any of these options!! how can i check this code in VAG?

Quote Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
    the codes refer to the type of mirrors the car has. some of them have only the auto folding mirrors, some have only the audo-dip function that points the mirror down in reverse, and some have both....
    I learned my quota for the day- Mine has all and I "assumed" they all came with it.
    210K miles rolled

does your mirror switch have an emblem on the bottom of it in the center? if so, you have auto folding mirrors. also, if you turn it to the position where you adjust the right mirror, and put the car in reverse, the passnger side mirror should tilt down. if it doesnt then you dont have that option

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    I learned my quota for the day- Mine has all and I "assumed" they all came with it.

i think all the 2003+ cars in NA come with both options.. the cars overseas probably dont... my old 01 4.2 didnt have auto folding mirrors, but had the auto-dip function

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Ah, yes. We have a side-view mirror snob among us.

It's technically correct to pivot your passenger side mirror about five degrees counter-clockwise further than the intuitive position, where you see the edge of your car.

But nobody does that... I don't, because I find it annoying for some reason, and I don't feel safe making lane changes without a quick head turn anyway.

I like that tilt-down feature. Eliminates rim-curbage paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
    does your mirror switch have an emblem on the bottom of it in the center? if so, you have auto folding mirrors. also, if you turn it to the position where you adjust the right mirror, and put the car in reverse, the passnger side mirror should tilt down. if it doesnt then you dont have that option
    Mine is 2004 model (prod date is 12/2004) and i don't have that an emblem on the bottom of it in the center, only L & R and center.

I think since it has a motor anyway, it might be an option via VAG can add this option while reverse? possible?

so you have this switch?

that would mean that your car doesnt have the autofolding option... try putting it into the passenger mirror position and put it in reverse and see if anything happens... i'm pretty sure that if nothing happens that feature can be turned on via vag com... but the autofolding mirrors need to be installed and the switch needs to be changed if you want both options