Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCU performance and longevity questions

TCU performance and longevity questions

I have filtered through a number of threads on a TCU chip. I am looking for information from current owners with chips or have had/heard expirences with these chips.
    It the shifting 'harder' than stock?
    What does the 'butt dyno' say about it?

And my last question is about longevity of the chipped trans. and TC. I have heard and read speculation that seem to suggest that the trans will actually have longer life with one of these chips. Or should I say the TC could last longer. Is this true? This idea revolved around the idea that the chip is causing pressure to be added to the TC sooner/faster and thus less slipping.

I am considering a TCU chip from MTM, but if the any of the statements above are incorrect, it is staying stock.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I've got it in mine, stock otherwise. I can definitely tell the difference, but it is in no way harsh (the way my old high-school Camaro was when I did the B&M shift kit, mainly so I could chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift). It mainly just responds crisply the way you would expect a car of this performance level to shift. When getting on it 60% or more in D or S and using the paddles, the shifts happen quickly with no slamming.

The theory behind the life extension resulting from this has been well covered in other posts, definitely glad I did it even stock, if I ever do the ECU, I'll sleep better knowing I did.

TCU is a must if you also do the ECU? I don't know anyone in the UK who just has there TCU done.

The major limiting factor on the AT is the TC, to much torque and it will be ......

MTM are well established tuners and there tuning is spot on, there is a guy in the uk has a full MTM programme set and I even think his warranty company cover it .

You can also on New audi's over here pay for the MTM upgrade option I believe fully covered by Audi. Somebody may correct me on this...?
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....

Most people will tell you not to do the ECU without also doing the TCU. I'd be willing to bet there are some UK owners that have done TCU only, plenty over here that have, there is no reason not to and improving shift time's helps the clutch plates.

The TC is a weak link but no reason not help the clutch plates in tranny itself as well.

^^^What they said!
    Summary:

Did it.
    Love it.
    No issues after about year or so.
    Best $100 RS6 mod by far. (I've talked about it way too much on other threads)

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercat View Post
    ^^^What they said!
    Summary:

Did it.
    Love it.
    No issues after about year or so.
    Best $100 RS6 mod by far. (I've talked about it way too much on other threads)
    How you guys did it for $100?? Where can I get the same price for MTM TCU?? I got a lot of quots with v high prices!!
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

Go on MTM USA site and they quote USD150 for the TCU.

I did mine Jan '09 for $125USD. This mod is a MUST! Shifts are now smooth and swift yet firm. No more "lazy" gear changes. Less slip=Less wear on TC and Trans clutches.
    .02 verified
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    I did mine Jan '09 for $125USD. This mod is a MUST! Shifts are now smooth and swift yet firm. No more "lazy" gear changes. Less slip=Less wear on TC and Trans clutches.
    .02 verified
    I'm sure it will give more smooth and swift yet firm shifts. But how less slip? I believe this up to TC and clutches whether they working fine or damaged!! am i right? please correct me

I have ABT ECU remap, is it possible to have TCU remapped by MTM and keep ECU same with ABT? or recommended to have them both remapped with same vendor?

vangelis,
    Quicker shifts reduces slipping. Why would you want to remap if you already have ABT?
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Thats silly cheap, costs us nearly 4 times that.....
    RS6 Avant, Miltek Res, ITG's, APR R1's, PSS 9's, H&R Sway Bars and Wangers intercoolers in the post.....

Quote Originally Posted by snoopra View Post
    vangelis,
    Quicker shifts reduces slipping. Why would you want to remap if you already have ABT?
    ABT does remap ECUs only, they don't have TCU map.

Quote Originally Posted by vangelis View Post
    I'm sure it will give more smooth and swift yet firm shifts. But how less slip? I believe this up to TC and clutches whether they working fine or damaged!! am i right? please correct me

I have ABT ECU remap, is it possible to have TCU remapped by MTM and keep ECU same with ABT? or recommended to have them both remapped with same vendor?
    Yes, as I understand it, you don't necessarily need the TCU and ECU to be remapped by the same tuner, although it may be preferred so you can have the ABT ECU and the MTM TCU. I had the MTM TCU already done while trying the Revo trial, no conflicts.

The way it affects slippage is, it is the TCU that tells the tranny how fast to switch gears, how fast and when to open the TC locking, and how fast and when to provide pressure to the clutch plates. All of this when sped up reduces slippage which of course reduces wear and tear. You are correct that it will have no affect on the ultimate amount of pressure applied to the clutch plates or TC lockup, just how fast it transitions.

Someone correct me if I'm off base here.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    Yes, as I understand it, you don't necessarily need the TCU and ECU to be remapped by the same tuner, although it may be preferred so you can have the ABT ECU and the MTM TCU. I had the MTM TCU already done while trying the Revo trial, no conflicts.

The way it affects slippage is, it is the TCU that tells the tranny how fast to switch gears, how fast and when to open the TC locking, and how fast and when to provide pressure to the clutch plates. All of this when sped up reduces slippage which of course reduces wear and tear. You are correct that it will have no affect on the ultimate amount of pressure applied to the clutch plates or TC lockup, just how fast it transitions.

Someone correct me if I'm off base here.
    Make sense, thanks

Thanks for the responses.

It sounds like it doesn't make sense NOT to do this. Even with a stock ecu. My trans is stock with almost 76k miles. This spring I will be doing a 'trans service' - new Mercon 5 fluid Tozo recommends and the lucas additive Innovator has mentioned. Of course sending the TCU to Hoppen for the chip. I want to do everything I can to reduce potential damage in the future.

Absolutely a WEALTH of knowledge on this forum.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

anyone got the link for the $125 TCU chip? I went on the MTM website and could only find the ECU chips... i tried emailing them, but no response...

C5 RS6, A3 TDI, 02 TT
    01 Wrangler, 03 F250 Diesel, 08 F450

I just had an MTM ECU remap and got the MTM TCU done 2 weeks after the ECU. The remap TCU makes a big difference and strongly recommended - smoother, doesn't hunt in 3-4-5th gears and better tiptronic shifts.