Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1009 miles and race commences

Talking 1009 miles and race commences

Well I have been waiting almost three weeks for this and now its here. I wanted to post my impressions after the break in period and boy do I have some good impressions.....where to start.

Well how about that exhaust note the first time I started the RS6. It pretty much says it all....almost everyone who has heard it says "I didnt expect that from this car". I get that phrase alot these days and do I love it. The stealth factor is simply awsome. My wife now wants to add a chip and exhaust to our S8 which she drives because she loves the sound so much.

Everytime I drive this car I appreciate it even more, it is so well put together in all aspects. Civil when it wants to be and a monster when its released (which these days is just about all the time). The only complaint I have are the seats which are easily fixable with the Recaros. Other than that its everything I could hope for.

The break in was fairly uneventful except for a trip to Lake Tahoe
    which didn't involve any racing. However, it was like there wasn't a 7000 ft climb from sea level on the trip....for all I am concerned the car drove up the mountains as though they didn't exist at all. Max 3/4 throtle and max 5K rpm (ok maybe thats a lie but for the most part). Simply amazing!!!!

Saturday I hit my 1000 mile break in on a trip to San Jose and at 1009 miles a 1999 Mustang GT4.6 decided to have a go. I was with my wife and friend during the trip. I casually passed the Mustang and worked my way through traffic when I noticed him suddenly trying to catch up to me (guess he figured out what I was driving). Just as the traffic cleared we started to head up a long straigt hill which was about 2 miles long. The freeway widens by an extra two lanes at this point so I go over to the far right where there is almost no traffic. The Mustang is about 30 to 40 car lengths behind me as we head up the hill and I am doing about 70 to 75mph. I notice him gaining speed to catch up to me, I hold steady at the 75mph mark and let him get about 10 car lenghts behind and unleash the monster. I literally walked away from him.....gone....by by. My friend looks out the back and says, "where did he go?" at which point my wife yells "where'd whooooo go?"

Shortly thereafter a Mec CLK55 AMG got spanked as well. I tend to like to wait until the freeway opens up where no one is really around and just walk away from who's behind me. It sends a clear message....I dont like to weave in out of traffic as it is very unsafe and just leaving someone behind on a straight is enough for me. I have seen to many close calls by some moron weaving in and out of traffic at very high speeds.

Anyway the car never stops impressing and I am very happy with it. The breaks are fantastic and they are needed with the power this monster has. I will do things in the RS6 I would not even think about in the S8.....its just that much better.

Enjoy your cars....every minute.

Bauer

03 RS6
    01 S8
    92 S4

More to follow as I have to break up the stories

Hi Ben, Great post. I agree completely with your assessment of the car being a complete package. Just starting it still brings a smile to my face knowing what lies ahead. And so many unsuspecting other drivers out there! Very few people see it and immediately know what lies underneath that beautiful body.

I also passed the 1000 mile mark on Saturday coming back from Rocklin after visiting grandson and his parents. Son, Mark, drove the RS 6 and was immediately impressed - he immediatley felt power was better and faster than his M3 and firm yet supple suspension. On some hard corners he noted how smooth it was vs how harsh the same corners were in his 2003 M3. His summation was, What a great car, Dad, I'm so happy for you! I drove his M3 with SMG. I would need some practice to get used to that transmission and the high reving engine vs the Biturbo RS 6.! Two very different cars:
    Smooth, svelte, high performance 5 passenger sedan vs a race bread (squeeze 2 in the back seat), fairly harsh suspension with a wring-its-neck engine. We agreed we should exchange cars for a week or so, and also do a track day so we can really appreciate the cars in a safe environment vs a brief test on the street. Had some fun with unsuspecting traffic on the way home, but certainly, no "steet racing". (simle, only a few stern looks from the fiance.)

Looking forward to the drive to Monterey tomorrow. Ben, are you going to make it down to the Laguna Seca races?

Benman, and any others, give me a call at the track so we can arrange a meeting. (Cell: 925-360-5295) Would be great to put a face to some of the names appearing on the RS6.com forum. Maybe meet at the Audi Corral hosted by Golden Gate chapter of the Audi Car club (located between turns 4 and 5 on the inside of the track on Sat. and Sunday).

Regards and enjoy every mile, Jim

Bauer ,

Great story. I have to admit that i use to be one of "those morons" that would weave in and out of traffic:blush: . I'm much better now but still find it hard to resist if the glove has been thrown down . Keep the stories coming .

Jim ,

I'll keep your #with me when i get up there. I'll send you a P.M. as well. See you up there

Ben

great stuff,...more, more, more

Great stories Bauer, and keep them coming. I could have not put it any better.

I think the RS6 has made me more civilized as a driver too.

Benman,

I have to admit that in the past I have driven like I probably shouldnt have in traffic. However these days I tend to be a little more cautious especially with the RS6 because it dosent really seem like you are doing 100 mph . Which can be very dangerous with others around. I have taken the attitude these days that if I want to risk my life on some empty country road then fine but when I risk others then its a problem. Don't get me wrong I do like to drive fast but without endangering others as much as possiable.

Bauer

03 RS6
    01 S8
    92 S4

I've noticed as my vehicles get faster and faster, I exercise much more "discretion". Experience?? Huh? Which is precisely why I didn't have a vehicle like this when I was 16 years old.

Originally posted by Bauer
    these days I tend to be a little more cautious especially with the RS6 because it dosent really seem like you are doing 100 mph
    I have to agree with you on the 100MPH remark. In over 40K miles, I rarely took my 540i over 100MPH. I'm not even done breaking in the Beast yet and I've inadvertantly (I swear!) eclipsed 100MPH probably a dozen times. Each time, I was going 75-80MPH, and I pulled to the left to pass on the highway. By the time I was past the car and signaled to reenter the lane, I noticed each time that I was over a 100MPH! I never even pushed the accelerator beyond half-way in each instance. Goodness gracious Charlie Brown!!
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

Great story!

I'm really glad to hear everyone is taking driving safely seriously, even though I know it's really hard. I'm at 996 miles and will hit that magical 1000 mark today - have a 2 hour drive this afternoon. So far I can honestly say...no other cars have been able to keep up with me, but I must admit, I'm having a bit of trouble finding anyone who wants to play. Being in Orange County - it's hard to find enough space to play in. I've tried cruising around Newport - looking for Porsche's, Ferrari's, Mustangs, anything...it's just too darn crowded!

My favorite experience so far: I was heading up a hill on my way to a friends house and there was this very nice white Porsche (de-badged - so don't know what it was) next to me, and a BMW 740IL behind me, pissed off because I had passed him and made it to light first and moved in front of him. Honestly, I didn't cut him off! I really wanted the Porsche and the Porsche appeared to be game. Anyway - I smoked the Porsche by about two car lengths. I was actually going pretty easy as I'm still in break-in mode. I moved into the left turn lane about 2 miles up. He was heading straight (funny - I could have sworn that Porsche lived in my friends neighborhood:eye: ), but he had to stop for the red light. Of course he wouldn't look at me - he kept playing with his gear shifter...pretending that something was wrong with his car. Perhaps something was! Now the guy in the BMW caught up to me and was also turning left. When he realized what I was driving, he wasn't as pissed off as he was before - he was actually smiling and giving me the approval nod!

I'm really enjoying everybody's stories and experiences! Keep them coming!

As many others have already said, great stories and be sure too keep 'em coming! It's really good reading and a lot of fun. It seems like most of you U.S. owners are breaking the 1000-mile limit, let's see if the stories become different...

Bauer, I definitely agree when you say that it is just as sweet to just pull away from the others, as it is really going for it one on one.

Luckylady: "playing with his gear shifter"... Yeah, I bet he lost his second gear just when he was about smoke you.

And that part about not "feeling" the speed, I'm yet to experience this, because when I drove my uncle's BMW 535 I sure was VERY aware of how fast I was going (+200km/h), especially as the sloppy steering made it very uncomfortable travelling at that speed.

Great story Bauer! I completely agree also. This car is awesome. I just reached the 1000 mark and hope to find an opportunity to really see what she can do. Living in NJ suburbs, its hard to find space to really drive (w/o million cops). Maybe a cross country drive is in order you CA guys seem to be having a lot of fun.

Glad to hear everyone is being prudent. My confidence in other drivers is too low to get too aggressive in traffic.

Did get a chance to zip around a BMW w/my husband driving behind in his S4.. He told me that he was not even close to catching me - that was while in 5th gear and barely goosing the gas

btumble

Question ...

please tell me where in California do the freeways ever open up???

Cakid,

They had just expanded the section of the freeway and the two extra lanes are for trucks...which there were no of at that time. So was a nice uphill ramp for a launch. But I do know what you are talking about.

Bauer

03 RS6
    01 S8
    92 S4

3 weeks to finish run-in!

You should be stripped of your RS 6 immediately!

Just kidding, I am just embarrassed I'm already > 3K, yikes.

Originally posted by bilbozilla
    I've noticed as my vehicles get faster and faster, I exercise much more "discretion". Experience?? Huh? Which is precisely why I didn't have a vehicle like this when I was 16 years old.
    Its not just experience its just that when you know your car is faster then the challenge is not the same and you dont feel the need to prove it. In the RS6 you can leave most cars in your wake without really trying.

1036 miles. For 36 miles, I have been a unrepentant criminal. If I had not been alone on unpopulated back roads, I would have been a total menace to society. Saw 135 mph twice on some rather short straits -- somewhere about 5200 rpm in 4th -- didn't look too long.

This car never heard of the laws of physics. More stable than a table; corners like a billiard ball on the cushion; accelerates like its shot from a gun; stops like there is an aircraft arrest hook. Amazing in a sedan this size!

This will require discipline to retain my license. One can do things safely in this vehicle that most others cannot do at half these speeds. Unfortunately, those charged with law enforcement will not understand -- and these are jail-time speeds!

GoFastKindaGuy
    '18 McLaren 720S, '18 Audi R8 V10 Plus, '18 Porsche Turismo Sport Turbo, '12 Cayenne Turbo, '04 Carrera GT

Bauer Amen

Luckylady Nice story, keep em coming!

GoFastKindaGuy I share your disease for SPEED!!!

Ben

What can be more frustrating than not to explore the RS6's fully potential? Well, I guess doing some time knowing that the RS6's just stands there in the garage...

Watch your rear view mirror, although I doubt that's the direction the cops will come from if they're going to catch you...

Watch your rear view mirror, although I doubt that's the direction the cops will come from if they're going to catch you...
    That's why you equip the car with the best jamming & detection technology available!!!

Finnus'

2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue