Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DRC Recall done

DRC Recall done

I had the DRC recall done and it appears that I was lucky. I got the car back and it was 1/4 inch higher front and back. I checked the tires and they had filled them to 40 psi so I am guessing that is the reason.

They found cracked upper control arm bushings (warranty covered) and cracked cv boots (not warranty covered) when they did the work. They showed me the cv boots before they had my loaner car available which was pretty nice.

What do you normally run in your tires? My Goodyears are 51psi max and I normally run 40 psi in them. Even if you are running 36psi like Audi recommended with the original tires that wouldn't make any meaureable height difference. Check your tires as newer tires today are designed for higher pressures. They are designed for lower rolling resistance (MPG). I'd say a good rule of thumb is about 8 to 10psi less than max listed, maybe others will pipe in.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Good advise. I run 46psi all around.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by sheatisdale View Post
    I had the DRC recall done and it appears that I was lucky. I got the car back and it was 1/4 inch higher front and back. I checked the tires and they had filled them to 40 psi so I am guessing that is the reason.

They found cracked upper control arm bushings (warranty covered) and cracked cv boots (not warranty covered) when they did the work. They showed me the cv boots before they had my loaner car available which was pretty nice.
    If you are saying the distance between the top of tire and the bottom of the fender is 1/4" higher then you may have an issue with the DRC repair itself. They may have done the fix incorrectly and left air in the system. More than likely though with just a 1/4" it may just need to settle.
    Last edited by GEN XER; January 5th, 2010 at 05:33.

Thanks all. I have some crappy sumitomo tires on here now and I'm not sure what thier PSI should be off the top of my head. I'll have to check tomorrow.

The measurement was from floor to bottom of fender.

Thanks all. I have some crappy sumitomo tires on here now and I'm not sure what thier PSI should be off the top of my head. I'll have to check tomorrow.

The measurement was from floor to bottom of fender.
    Give it a few days to settle and re-check. Ensure tire psi is the same on the re-check.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    If you are saying the distance between the top of tire and the bottom of the fender is 1/4" higher then you may have an issue with the DRC repair itself. They may have done the fix incorrectly and left air in the system. More than likely though with just a 1/4" it may just need to settle.
    I disagree with your analysis. If the shocks had leaked the system pressure would have been low, letting the car sit lower. Regardless, it's not whether your car sits higher or lower than before, it's where it sits compared to the standard. Check previous posts, someone listed the factory spec's, but in general, IIRC, most on here seem to be sitting at 14.25-14.75 with the front 1/8-1/4 lower than the rear.

And sheatisdale, easy on the Sumitomo's, I'll admit they're not quite as grippy as the PS2's but I've been very happy with them - low noise, excellent grip dry or wet, wearing evenly and well, and about 60% the cost of PS2's. Just for those that care about tire feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6-4dr911 View Post
    I disagree with your analysis. If the shocks had leaked the system pressure would have been low, letting the car sit lower. Regardless, it's not whether your car sits higher or lower than before, it's where it sits compared to the standard. Check previous posts, someone listed the factory spec's, but in general, IIRC, most on here seem to be sitting at 14.25-14.75 with the front 1/8-1/4 lower than the rear.

And sheatisdale, easy on the Sumitomo's, I'll admit they're not quite as grippy as the PS2's but I've been very happy with them - low noise, excellent grip dry or wet, wearing evenly and well, and about 60% the cost of PS2's. Just for those that care about tire feedback.
    Ahh yes. I was not thinking of comparing it to the standard.

Mine measured 25.5" front and 26.5" rear floor to
    bottom of fender before the DRC was done.

They told me mine was slightly leaking from the right front only.

Mine measured 25.5" front and 26.5" rear floor to
    bottom of fender before the DRC was done.

They told me mine was slightly leaking from the right front only.
    I cant remember where Dave talked about this, but I think the 14.25-14.75 is from the bottom of the fender to the center of the wheel. Ill have to research.

Hi,

I measured mine and posted a few months ago, If I recall it was 14.25 inches.
    The tire pressure is interesting. They set mine to 30 PSI! and the ride was poor. I thought the DRC repair had not improved anything but after bringing the pressure back up to 46-48 where I keep it, it was better.

I'll have to see what the ride is like after a cold winter and getting the snows off!

Mike

I measured mine to the center of the wheel and it was about 14.25" in the front and 15.5" in the rear.

I measured mine to the center of the wheel and it was about 14.25" in the front and 15.5" in the rear.
    My measurements are the same on the front and 15.25 rear.
    Last edited by GEN XER; January 7th, 2010 at 06:00.

Guys,

You forgot already. How many threads have we had on this?

14.25 average for front.
    14.5 average for rear.

Center cap to fender lip

If your rear is higher...release and retorque your rear suspension with weight on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by GEN XER View Post
    My measurements are the same on the front and 15.25 rear.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Guys,

14.25 average for front.
    14.5 average for rear.

Center cap to fender lip

If your rear is higher...release and retorque your rear suspension with weight on the rear.
    Did we discuss a technique for this? Did we have a thread on this?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Guys,

14.25 average for front.
    14.5 average for rear.

Center cap to fender lip

I've got my car after DRC job and it is done perfectly 1000% sure with brand new shocks and CVs with the latest tool and by a german tech who is mastering DRC jobs. But the car still little high from the rear, so i need to know the details or technique on how to release and retorque the rear suspension with weight on the rear??
    "Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari

put car on alignment rack or lift that keeps tires on ramps. Key is to keep vehicle weight on the rear suspension.

go to the rear suspension arms and back off all the mount points for the bushings.

bounce car or drive it around the block.

put back on alignment rack and retorque all the control arm mounts.

Yep, the technique DHall1 explained above dropped my rear almost 1/2" to within the Audi spec.