Thread: DRC Recall done

FAX from dealer says Part#: BDO-407-515-C and each part is listed at $29.18
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    FAX from dealer says Part#: BDO-407-515-C and each part is listed at $29.18
    Hoehn or Clymer did the work?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Unfortunately no, it was done at Walter's in Riverside while the DRC was getting done. I pick it up tonight.
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

calling on the help of others....

Ladies and Gents,

I have been member of this forum for some years as I owned a S6 (build 1999) for a couple of years and recently bought myself a RS6 (2003)
    I live in the Netherlands, that is Europe. (so excuse me for my language ;-) )
    Now I found out that my DRC is not what it supposed to be.
    So I am in the decision period what to do: repair of the DRC or replacing the entire DRC for shocks and springs.

I did try a search action on DRC and replacement but thus far all I read is that the DRC kind of uhmmm is of poor quality and needed to be repaired.
    Also that some of you replaced the DRC with a complete set: KW set (variant 3) and also H&R, but with the latter I think to remember they used H&R springs to replace the OEM springs.

So I'm calling in your help about which mileage or km's you made with the new DRC struts installed before you needed to replace them again.

What mileage did you do with the after market shocks and springs like the KW v3.

Does the "rideability" of the RS6 change completely with the after market set.

And when I decide to do the repair is it better to renew all 4 of the struts at the same time?
    I know the right rear is leaking som oil (according to the Audi engineer the leakage was not a problem. Uh huh?!?! Now I know better)
    May be a better question is what should I have repaired of the DRC? (I do not know if there was some sort of recall action by Audi in Europe and if this Audi has been back for it; it is not in that "service-thing" I got with the RS6)
    Thank you for any help as I could not find any on the Duth fora/forums/forea?!?!

Hmmm ok after my post I found another thread:

DRC vs Bilstein / Koni

So I guess I will continue my post in that more suitable thread. (maybe a mod can shift my post to that thread).

thank you.

This is just my personal opinion and experience, but I would just remove your DRC system and go the coil over route. I have the KW V3's and have done about 35k miles on them with no problems. The Kw's right out of the box offer a comparable ride to the DRC, but I have mine set a little firmer. If I were you, I would look into the H&R coil over setup, as it should be available to you over in Europe (we can't get them here for the RS6). The H&R's are much cheaper than the KW's, and I've read that the ride is more compliant.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Also, I said it in that thread, and I'll say it again, I don't like the idea of installing a Koni shock and H&R spring combo on an RS6. That setup is not DOT or TUV approved for the car, and I would assume you have yearly inspections over there. I don't think it will pass with that set up.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Micdee, I would check with the dealer to see if your car has had recent DRC work done, how many miles on the car? There was a complete DRC recall in North America but I'm not sure about Europe? Maybe another European member could chime in. Since Netherlands is part of the European Union I would think Audi would have to treat all members the same if there is a recall going on over there.
    As for aftermarket solutions, known ones are KW V3's, H&R, Bilsteing, and Ohlins. I can recommend the KW's as that is the route I went with and I haven't heard of any complaints about the KW's or the H&R's. I have heard good & bad about the Bilstein & the Ohlins. H&R also offer a spring replacement for the stock factory DRC springs which lower the car a little (2c.m.) and increase the spring rate slightly. These springs go over the stock DRC so you may still end up with DRC problems.
    Overall, a working DRC is a good driving system with little compromise in ride & handling. I didn't like it mainly for reliability and the ride height. A good aftermarket suspension that is fully adjustable can do better on the track but then it will be much more harsh on the street, you can soften it up a little for better (not as quite as good as a good DRC) street ride while still being good in the performance role. My KW's make the car handle better than the DRC was but are a little harsher on rough roads, most of my roads are pretty good around here but if they weren't I may have stayed with the DRC and worked with the dealer to get the ride height better, at least while it was still on warranty. Let us know what you find out and decide, I'm sure some other members will chime in too. Welcome to the list.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thank you for your replies.

As I already said I found the other thread which I think fits better to my questions, so I copied and pasted my questions and your replies in there and will continue in that thread.